• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

#126 Mar-14-2020 10:41:am

Newallike
Visitor

Re: Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

Day of Remembrance 2020  Gnadenhutten, Ohio  March 8-9, 2020

I will say at the outset, the day was beautiful and exceeded my expectations.  I was greeted by a pleasant surprise on my arrival at the park when I learned of the presence of Denise Stonefish, Chief of the Delaware Nation at Moraviantown, Ontario, Canada.  We did not know she would be in attendance but we quickly modified our observance to allow her to say the Opening Prayer in Lenape and offer tobacco for the indigenous nations upon whose land we stood that day.

The second event that occurred that made the day very special was the attendance of the high school students from the Indian Valley High School located near the Gnadenhutten Historical Park & Museum.  The past three years, the high school American History classes have attended the observance and there were two or three classes.  This year was different however, there was a constant stream of students passing through the museum and the cabins all day long.  Apparently the school allowed any students who wanted to walk over during their free hour to do so.  Instead of two classes, I taught at least ten classes that day.  There were so many students, and they were coming so fast, I had to abandon my syllabus for the day and improvise.  The Steven Newcomb documentary, The Doctrine of Discovery Unmasking the Domination Code , is one hour long and I only had 15 minutes with each class before they left the museum to tour the grounds and cabins.  The teachers asked me to tell the story of the Gnadenhutten Massacre to each class so when they left the museum to visit the Burial Mound and tour the cabins, they would have a better understanding of what they were seeing.  It was a great modification and I was happy to tell the future leaders of Gnadenhutten what happened in their town's history.  I was amazed at how many of the students had no idea what the park and mound were all about.

We did not disregard Steven Newcomb's documentary.  I had to help negotiate which teacher got to take the DVD back to school first.  The Government teacher wanted it for his students to examine how the Doctrines of Discovery affected Federal Law through many Supreme Court rulings including most notably Johnson v McIntosh put forth by Chief Justice John Marshall.  Of course, the American History teacher felt he had first claim as I did present it to him as a gift from Steven Newcomb, for the school.  I got swept up into another class so I don't know who took it back to school but both ensured that their classes would be watching the entire video and discussing it at length.  This is the beginning of changing the narrative of American History.

Theresa and Larry Johnson came from Moraviantown as they did last year.  Theresa spoke and Larry played the drum and sang a song in honor of the Christian Indians.  Unfortunately, I did not get to see them, or Joe Bonamico from the Trumpet in the Land players, or anything else happening outside as I was occupied indoors as soon as I was done speaking.  I will have to watch the recordings sent to me to see what occurred and will edit and post to the Facebook page asap.

It is my intention to put together all videos and photos of the day and edit into a longer video than I care to post to Facebook.  When complete, I will post the link to a YouTube page where it is more appropriate.  It will be fashioned in such a way that I may present it to various people in curriculum development to entice them to use the information in the teaching of high school American History.  I pointed out to the students, and teachers, that the Doctrines of Discovery are not just facets of American History, but World History, as the Roman Catholic Church had been dominating and exterminating non-Christian peoples long before Christopher Columbus arrived on our shores. 

Joe Bonamico, from the Trumpet in the Land players, gave a very informative talk/reading on how Chief White Eyes was instrumental in the settling of the Ohio frontier and set the stage for Ohio to become the 14th state in the Union through the Treaty of Fort Pitt.  He also gave a most moving testimonial of the great faith of the Christian Indians who went to their death's singing hymns and praying.

This year was different than previous years.  You could feel it in the air.  It was a beginning, a birth of something I have yet to behold.

Thanks to the Creator.

In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity

#127 Mar-24-2020 06:42:pm

Newallike
Visitor

Re: Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

Day of Remembrance 2020  Gnadenhutten, Ohio  March 8-9, 2020  *UPDATE* 

As many are asking me when the video I am making will be available, I will make this offering in lieu of the video in it's entirety. 

I have been populating a Facebook page under my pen name, Robert Girard, because it is so easy.  In addition, and a bit harder to manage, is the You Tube page under my name, GF Heath, where I have uploaded many short videos of the various speakers in their raw, unedited versions.  One day, a much more detailed, edited version with many added graphics, etc will be posted there as well.

I will post the video titles for the You Tube page here and you can determine if you want to visit or not.  The Facebook page has a lot of interesting posts related to the Day of Remembrance 2020 from attendees and other interested parties.  Below the titles, I will add the two links for any who chooses to visit.

You Tube Titles

Chief Denise Stonefish offers Opening Prayer for Day of Remembrance in Lenape

Chief Denise Stonefish talks to the gathering at the Burial Mound

Gerard Heath explains, Why a Cross for Gnadenhutten?

Larry Johnson of Moraviantown perfoms a song at the Burial Mound in honor of the Christian Delaware Indians

Theresa Johnson of Moraviantown speaks at the Burial Mound

Gerard Heath talks about the Gnadenhutten Massacre

Joe Bonamico from Trumpet in tbe Land gives a moving testimonial of the Christian Delaware Indians

Gerard Heath explains the incredible history between the Native Nations and the development of the United States Constitution.

Of course, all the videos from last year's Day of Remembrance are there as well for first time visitors.  Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.girard.56614  The Facebook Link

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqX1hq … lwg/videos  The You Tube Link

I'm terrible at asking for donations, in fact I always forget to put the information in the post so folks can give to the continuing development of the Gnadenhutten Historical Park & Museum. 

You can earmark your donations for, 'The Cross Project'.  Send all tax deductible donations to:

The Gnadenhutten Historical Society - Christian Cross Project
c/o John Heil
156 Spring St.
Gnadenhutten, Ohio  44629

Thank you for considering my request and may God bless you for your support of these Wilderness Christians.

In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Newcomb: Something missing from PBS's "Tecumseh's Vision"

Board footer