•  » Shawuskukhkung ("Wilted Grass") a.k.a., Bartholomew Calvin

#1 May-08-2017 02:15:pm

sschkaak

Shawuskukhkung ("Wilted Grass") a.k.a., Bartholomew Calvin

#2 Oct-27-2019 06:34:pm

ellejay1066
Visitor

Re: Shawuskukhkung ("Wilted Grass") a.k.a., Bartholomew Calvin

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been coming to this website for source information for a while, and impressed with the contributors, and the information provided. I keep checking back to see if anything new is posted about the Lenape families from the Evesham area but was wondering if anybody knows anything more about the Rebecca Calvin Jr. who inserted her mark on the Brotherton Petition in 1801, or the Rebecca Nicolaus who signed as well, as I have a mystery ancestor whose first name was "Rebecca" who married my ancestor, Paul Chalkley Rakestraw, in Evesham New Jersey around 1800, but we cannot find a marriage record for them and only know that her name was Rebecca and was born 1780 and died 1822 in Clark County Ohio (since the years were on her gravestone). And I've checked every Rebecca I can find in the Evesham area around that time period but have pretty eliminated them all except these two, who are complete mysteries and seem to just appear for this one record, and then totally disappear again. My Rakestraw family were all Quakers, Paul Chalkley's parents were Thomas Rakestraw and Elizabeth Zane. Paul Chalkely Rakestraw moved to Ohio around 1810. But when the family was in Evesham, they lived right in the vicinity of the Brotherton reservation. Any information about the two Rebeccas who signed the 1801 petition (e.g., DOB, DOD, who they married, etc.) would be appreciated. Thank you for posting that link to the Calvin family, it was very informative.

Have family lines with suspected Native American ancestry, who originated from Sevier County Tennessee and Burlington County New Jersey.

#3 Oct-28-2019 07:11:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Welcome Ellejay, hopefully, someone has more information for you.

#4 Oct-28-2019 09:20:am

sschkaak

I'll look through my stuff as soon as I get a chance.  I'm a little busy with personal matters, right now, but I'll respond if and when I find something that might be helpful.

#5 Oct-31-2019 01:37:pm

sschkaak

Still haven't had time to look through my records of the Brotherton Indians; however, I'm sure you know that the 1820 federal census lists all 9 people in Paul Chalkley Rakestraw's household as "White."  An Indian, if listed properly, would have been listed as "Colored" in 1820.  This does not rule out, definitively, that Rebecca was an Indian or part Indian, but it does nothing at all to help in making such an identification.

#6 Nov-17-2019 02:16:pm

ellejay1066
Visitor

Thank you for your responses. Any detail helps. So it is known that Native Americans in the 1820 censuses were in-fact listed on the census under the colored columns? Because I was under the impression, that they may not even be included at all, but if they were mixed or intermarried into a white family, it might have been under the white columns, because they would be US citizens (as opposed to sovereign Indian tribe nations, which were not considered US Citizens back then). Also, on the 1820 census form, there's a final category column that says, "All other persons except Indians not taxed" and based on that this category expressly mentions the word Indians in the description, I thought if they intended to have a category for "all other persons" and this might include Indians "that were taxed," that they would have their own category. Also, I looked for known Brotherton Indians in later censuses, to see what they were categorized as, and I can't find them on any of the later censuses to see how they described them, but if you know of any, I'd like to take a look, both for this and some other lines I have in my tree where there's possible suspected Native Americans that predate the Indian rolls in the area. Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Have family lines with suspected Native American ancestry, who originated from Sevier County Tennessee and Burlington County New Jersey.

#7 Nov-18-2019 11:40:am

sschkaak

ellejay1066 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been coming to this website for source information for a while, and impressed with the contributors, and the information provided. I keep checking back to see if anything new is posted about the Lenape families from the Evesham area but was wondering if anybody knows anything more about the Rebecca Calvin Jr. who inserted her mark on the Brotherton Petition in 1801, or the Rebecca Nicolaus who signed as well, as I have a mystery ancestor whose first name was "Rebecca" who married my ancestor, Paul Chalkley Rakestraw, in Evesham New Jersey around 1800,

I have a petition dated November 17, 1801, on which the marks of Rebecca Calvin and Rebecca Williams appear.  No "Rebecca Calvin, Jr" or "Rebecca Nicolaus" show up on this document.  Do you have an exact date for your 1801 petition?  This will not change your question, but it will let me know which Rebeccas to look for.

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Shawuskukhkung ("Wilted Grass") a.k.a., Bartholomew Calvin

Board footer