#1 Sep-16-2019 09:35:am

sschkaak

Order of the Arrow

#2 Sep-16-2019 01:34:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Order of the Arrow

Some of those photos were hard to look at.  neutral

Norwood said that no matter the intentions, the wearing of Native dress by non-Native people is appropriation.

"While I respect each tribe’s right to its own perspective on the issue, I believe that no matter the sincerity of the participants, the use of Native dress and ceremonies (even when accurately portrayed) by non-Natives is a misappropriation of our culture. I appreciate the effort to consult with area tribes, as expressed in the OA manual. However, this should be done in order to gain an understanding of, and appreciation for, regional tribal heritage, not in order to mimic it."

#3 Sep-16-2019 06:11:pm

tk

I am embarrassed to say that I used to be OA – or OE (Odor of the Error) as some of us called it – Ceremonies Team (we didn’t have a dance team).

I’m not saying that what followed was an act of contrition, but it was when I realized that our “costumes† were wrong, bad, awful, yuck, POS, that I (aged 14) went down to the Smithsonian, met Bill Sturtevant, spent hours with him in the attic, went on to major in Anthro in college, back to the Smithsonian’s Native American’s Program [see William Walker “We Don’t Live Like that Anymore† (AIQ, Fall 2011, 479-514)], back to grad school, and the last 40 years working with the Comanches between museum gigs.

tk

#4 Sep-17-2019 07:29:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

tk

That's a great story. I'm glad you went to that attic.

#5 Sep-22-2019 10:06:am

Suckachsinheet

I am an Eagle Scout and Brotherhood OA. I can’t argue against all of those articles. But I can say that it seeded my interest in the Native people and mindset. It was a part of my journey.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#6 Sep-22-2019 12:04:pm

sschkaak

Same was true for MaryEllen Flynn.  And there are actually many American Indians in the OA.   I'm not defending some of their practices.  Just sayin'.  At least, OA members who aren't Indians aren't saying that they are.

Board footer