Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-18-2019 11:55:am

Kavik
Visitor

The word "knowledge"

I'm curious what the SU form of "weuchsowagan" might be. How would one refer to someone with respect to a name/nickname "one who has knowledge, one who is knowledgeable "??

Thanks!

#2 May-18-2019 01:15:pm

sschkaak

Re: The word "knowledge"

Kavik wrote:

I'm curious what the SU form of "weuchsowagan" might be.

wewsuwakan (though I don't think it's a documented usage)

How would one refer to someone with respect to a name/nickname "one who has knowledge, one who is knowledgeable "??

NU: wewoataq'  /  SU: watakw (I'm guessing)

Thanks!

Yuh!

#3 May-18-2019 01:30:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks very much!

#4 May-20-2019 08:01:am

Kavik
Visitor

In cheeking the SU form, it exists, but the meaning is more along the lines of "he found out".

Does wewoatuq' carry the same meaning (i.e. "one who found out") or does it carry the meaning of "one who has knowledge (of a thing"), in the sense of referring to say a learned elder - i.e. "s/he has knowledge/wisdom".

Again, thanks very much.

#5 May-20-2019 02:02:pm

sschkaak

Kavik wrote:

In cheeking the SU form, it exists, but the meaning is more along the lines of "he found out".

That's one meaning and it's by sense extension.  The other, original meaning is "he knows" or better, "he knows something," depending on the context--this being a transitive inanimate verb with both subject and object; and it's in LTD, as the first meaning:  http://www.talk-lenape.org/results?quer … ang=lenape .  Also, watakw is the conjunct form of the independent order form, watun.  Look up watun and you'll see that it always means "know it" or "know something," etc.  Since watakw already has a long initial vowel, it does not need initial change to be used as a participle.   

Does wewoatuq' [i.e., wewoataq'] carry the same meaning (i.e. "one who found out") or does it carry the meaning of "one who has knowledge (of a thing"), in the sense of referring to say a learned elder - i.e. "s/he has knowledge/wisdom".

The latter.  In SU, you could add the emphasis ("one who really knows things" or "one who fully knows it," etc.) shown in the NU form by initial reduplication.  It would look like this:  weotakw.  (That -o- should have a grave accent to show it is pronounced as -aw-, like in English "law" or "hawk."  Can't write those on here, anymore, for some reason.)

Again, thanks very much.

You're welcome.

#6 May-20-2019 02:38:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks!

I did see 'watakw' in the LTD - that's why I was wondering of the NU had the same sort of meaning but in researching further, I found other forms which go with what you're saying above.

Oh, I didn't realize in SU it was a form of 'watun'. That makes more sense now.

Board footer