You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Apr-22-2019 05:57:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Native Americans Find Surprising Ally in Fight: Trump Administration

Native Americans Find Surprising Ally in N.J. Fight: Trump Administration

Full Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/nyre … ah-nj.html

But in this case, the federal government — often a tribe’s adversary — has come to the Ramapoughs’ aid. The federal Justice Department filed a letter last month expressing its support for the tribe, suggesting that the town’s behavior has “significantly chilled Ramapough’s use of the land for religious purposes† in violation of federal protections.

The Justice Department letter comes on the heels of a ruling in Trenton that clarified the Ramapoughs’ status as a state-recognized tribe.

“Freedom of religion is so endemic to the country that I almost can’t believe that people would have the gall to try to suppress it with Jim Crow zoning,† said Dwaine Perry, chief of the Ramapough tribe. “One part is racism, and the other part is that they see an opportunity by manipulating zoning,† he said. “They want to fine us out of existence.â€

#2 Apr-22-2019 06:07:pm

sschkaak

Re: Native Americans Find Surprising Ally in Fight: Trump Administration

I would say the Justice Department made a just ruling.  Trump had nothing to do with it.

#3 May-05-2019 06:25:pm

NeoPaleo
Visitor

Except that the Supreme Court has already stated that “IT" doesn’t recognize Native American religion as a religion at all. We’re free to practice it, just not protected as a religion in its own right. This came down in a ruling over a tribe in Northern California defending a sacred forest spot “on federal land".
If I can find the case I’ll post it. It’s pretty damning.

What color corn do you grow?

#4 May-05-2019 06:29:pm

NeoPaleo
Visitor

What color corn do you grow?

#5 May-12-2019 10:48:am

sschkaak

NeoPaleo wrote:

Except that the Supreme Court has already stated that “IT" doesn’t recognize Native American religion as a religion at all. We’re free to practice it, just not protected as a religion in its own right. This came down in a ruling over a tribe in Northern California defending a sacred forest spot “on federal land".
If I can find the case I’ll post it. It’s pretty damning.

As bad as this ruling may be, it doesn't really apply to the Ramapough land because they own this land in fee simple.  It's not "owned" by the government.

Board footer