Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mar-02-2019 07:00:pm

dennison

tecumseh prophet

Does anyone know the which book has bethia the holy women listed?

thanks

#2 Mar-03-2019 08:15:am

sschkaak

Re: tecumseh prophet

Al:

If this is about Bethia Van Dunk, I have corrected this misinformation many times, over the years.  I see there are still some internet sites where it occurs and some people have actually put it in their ancestry charts.  Here is a portion of a letter I wrote to someone in 2011:

"I don't know how many times I've seen this information on "Be-ti-a (or Bethia) Van Dunk."  She may have very well been an Indian, but she was NOT the Delaware Indian who revived the Big House Ceremony in Indiana.  That lady's name was Beata--a baptismal name given to her by the Moravians, which means "blessed," in Latin.  "Be-ti-a" or "Bethia" is a Dutch nickname for Elizabeth.  The -ia at the end of the name is a diminutive suffix found on most Dutch females' nicknames.  It's very similar to the English nickname, "Betty," for Elizabeth. 

I seriously doubt that Lone Bear told this person that Be-ti-a Van Dunk was Beata.  He probably told her about Beata, after she mentioned Be-ti-a, and she conflated the two, without justification.

I suspect that "Ra-ja-hia" is nothing more than another Dutch nickname for Rachel--though, I'm not certain about this. 

"Fa-ni" seems like an attempt to make the common nickname, Fanny, into an "Indian-looking" name.  Unfortunately, there never has been, nor is there now, an "F" in the Munsee dialect or the Delaware language."

#3 Mar-03-2019 01:51:pm

dennison

Re: tecumseh prophet

Thanks,

I am in agreement with you on this, distorted facts mislead people. People have accepted this story with out any primary documents anywhere to accredit this individuals claim. I just want to equip myself for refuting here say lol

Board footer