Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#126 May-12-2018 11:29:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: Sam Grey Wolf Hanna

lenape wrote:

I have decided to respond via a PM on this as many claim to know him, some even claim to have been "appointed" by him, and much of what will answer your questions is *in my opinion* not public information, for the main reason that it helps to sort out who actually knew him and who is just hanging on, it was brought to my attention just the other day that Sams name appeared on a enrollment card that was recently issued, which is interesting because he is shacked up with Elvis somewhere on a secluded island somewhere that is impossible!  A "rubber stamp" was made of his signature and is being passed around a certain group to give "validity" or "status" (LOL) that they actually knew him or was "made" something by him,
  I will state this much, contrary to what some think Sam was a real, living person(some have actually claimed he was not), He was Native American; Cayuga and Oklahoma Delaware, a veteran of World War 2, Korea, Wounded Knee II, and the "Mohawk Conflict", and in my eyes an Elder.  Yes he did some "Stupid" stuff, got involved with some goofballs, and made mistakes, as have many Elders, I don't agree with all he did, but who am *I*?  I still respected him and still respect his goals!

Piney, I will also send you a copy of the PM, and whom ever else is interested....

Edit: Sam was a vet of ww2 and Korea, NOT Vietnam, my error!!!roll

The contents of the PM, for posterity:

Sam Gray Wolf Hannah was from Miami Oklahoma, half Delaware and half Cayuga, wolf clan.  He joined and later became president of League of North American Indians (LNAI) in the 1950's, which was a follow up to The Brotherhood of North American Indians, made known by Richard Adams.  LNAI and the BNAI were the predecessors to the American Indian Movement(AIM), all of which were politically based organizations, equip with there drama and bickering.  Gray Wolf was a veteran of World War 2 where he served in the infantry and paratroops, was decorated 3 times, Korea, Wounded Knee-AIM Occupation, and Mohawk Conflict.

Sam's political motivation was to see that the Native people have a political voice through the intertribal organization LNAI, a united voice to be able to speak out that was not tainted by the sock puppet Tribal Councils that were receiving government money and speaking for the "Hang 'round the fort Indians".  His cultural motivation was to retain and revive the depleting woodlands culture, specifically of the Lenape People.  In a time that saw the loss of the Gamwing, the Doll Dance, and was seeing Traditionalists and language die off, people flock to the Peyote Religion, and Plains Indians becoming the image for all Native People, Sam began his role in keeping what was left alive.  Sam traveled all over the US, staying in various places for a period and then moving on, as many Native People did during that time, looking for something better than the "Indian Towns" of Oklahoma and the surrounding bars.  He worked hard to find people of native blood, mixed breeds, who were outcast by the "Federal Indians" but could not quite fit into dominant culture society, trying to unite them under the group United Lenape Band, and Adopted Tribal Peoples.  At this time in American history there were not as many that wanted to step up to this, as it was not "cool" to be Indian yet!  Sam eventually settled down in Ohio after living with  the Cayuga in NY where he was given honorary Chief Horns, acknowledging his work and his "Band" of Lenape/Delaware descendents. 

Sam traveled throughout PA and NJ, aligning himself with mixed bloods who were looking for a local community, and those who were of "Native Mind", that later became adopted into his family and later into the Band.  This is much the same reason Nora Thompson Dean came to PA and NJ, looking for other Lenape People that stayed behind, Nora was looking for Native folks that "looked" like her and in her words: "so far I have found none of my people that stayed behind in the old homeland", recorded 1978 at Jim Dehaven's home.  Sam on the other hand and no expectations that the people in the East would look like him, in fact the opposite, he knew that they were very mixed, and Sam was more open to taking people in who he thought could better the community.  Around this time, mid 70's, Sam met up with Bill Thompson who had been attending the Powwows in the Poconos, Bill was eager to start a community in the eastern area, which Sam agreed to, appointing Bill "Chief" over his community here in eastern PA, a "branch| of the ULB.  Sam's Aims and Goals were "basically" to return to an old way of "tribal life", re-establish the clan system, continue the trading post, community gardening, revival of the language, and study of the Great Law, Mdewin, and Big House Codes of ethics and life to ultimately re-establish a self government for the communities and bands.  The "Aims and Goals" are published in the book: The Spirit of Geronimo Returns, with an article about Sam.  Sometime in the late 70's Sam met up with Bill Sauts Bock, who had been in touch with Nora Thompson Dean, more than some will ever admit.  Sauts was named "He who walks in the lead" by Nora as well as participated in ceremonies with her in the Unami Valley as well as at other "ceremonial sites" in PA, some of which was recorded and I have seen myself.  And from this point on the known characters trickle in to the scene of the years.  Sam maintaining his community in Ohio and Bill his in the East, Bill was free to take whom he saw fit as was Sam.  At one point Sam and Bill briefly associated with Pan-American Indian Association,  Sam officially severed his ties in '94 by council vote and decision, at this time the finally cut all ties to Bill Thompson and his group, Sam and the council strongly opposed applying for recognition, for numerous reasons, his community was not eligible as a) they were not a continuous community, never were, b) Sam would not exclude anyone from his community that was not able to meet the "white man's" quota, and he believed that it went against everything that LNAI and BNAI stood for, standing up for the traditionalists and those "outcast" because they didn't have enough blood.  I can only guess that at this time some in-fighting started, however when Sam was on his death bed there was a couple who showed up trying to get his signature making them "chief", after he passed his council began a year of mourning, others began their own agenda, while there are some left that were part of the original community, they stay to themselves and have little or nothing to do with the "new" groups, they tried to restore the community but with all the claims and bickering and lying no one knew who to believe.  I am  still in contact with some of these folks, we even have ceremonial land that was given to "us", Sam and Chief Katuha where we have closed ceremonies and sometimes have Oklahoma Delaware come to see the site as it is untouched and protected from development.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, it is long winded, sorry about that, but it is a long story!!!  LOL
Some common lies:
-Sam adopted Tom Big Warrior
    Tom was NOT adopted by Sam, Tom was adopted by Sauts, Sam did not like Tom much in the "early stages" but accepted him as he is Indian and had potential with his knowledge of history.

- Sam gave Bill Harford a "Sundance Pipe"
    Sam never gave anyone a Sundance Pipe, nor could he, Sam was not Lakota, or any Sundancing Tribe, this was a lie from Harford to try and save his ass when he crossed the line at a Sundance.  The Pipe that we took was a "crazycrow hobby pipe"

-Sam gave Bob Ruth a pipe from Oklahoma which is now in Chucks Demunds possession
    I saw this pipe and it is not one of the ones that came from OK, one is in Sams wifes possession which was made by J Thompson, I have one that was made by C. Knapp, and there was one buried in Ohio, that accounts for all 3.

-Sam gave Bill Thompson "Lenape Horns"
    Sam always explained where the horns came from, the Cayuga, and that Lenape did not have "horns" but rather exchanged wampum, and Sam's community used silver conchos to mark the positions, I am pretty sure Jim Winski's community have the original conchos, I do not know who all has these now, or who has replications, I have one set that I got way after the fact, not marking anything but memories, and his former Peace Chief has his still, I believe Dale White Panther has the Wampum belt made.

-Sam and Nora Thompson Dean were friends
    Sam and Nora knew each other and had a "falling out" in the 60's, they never saw eye to eye after that.  Many of the folks in Sam's community knew or corresponded with Nora but Sam and Nora were not friends.

Last edited by Suckachsinheet (May-14-2018 11:11:pm)

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#127 May-13-2018 08:19:am

sschkaak
Website

Paul:  The only way to get rid of those � symbols is to edit the post.  You have to delete all those things and replace them with the quotation marks and apostrophes, yourself.  I've gradually been doing that with all the topics for which I'm the moderator and for all my own posts, but I can't do it here.

#128 May-13-2018 11:12:am

sschkaak
Website

Some comments on this, in bold type, by Jim Rementer:

Sam Gray Wolf Hannah was from Miami Oklahoma, half Delaware and half Cayuga, wolf clan. He joined and later became president of League of North American Indians (LNAI) in the 1950's, which was a follow up to The Brotherhood of North American Indians, made known by Richard Adams. Sam's political motivation was to see that the Native people have a political voice through the intertribal organization LNAI, a united voice to be able to speak out that was not tainted by the sock puppet Tribal Councils that were receiving government money and speaking for the "Hang 'round the fort Indians".

There sure seems like a slam on the federally recognized tribes, the real Indians, who were forced from their homelands and made to live on reservations.

His cultural motivation was to retain and revive the depleting woodlands culture, specifically of the Lenape People. In a time that saw the loss of the Gamwing, the Doll Dance, and was seeing Traditionalists and language die off, people flock to the Peyote Religion,
More nonsense.  Traditional people did not flock to the peyote religion because of the loss of other things to do, they did so because they felt like any place where God was being prayed to was a good place to be, and I saw no conflict in attending the Big House and also peyote meetings.

He worked hard to find people of native blood, mixed breeds, who were outcast by the "Federal Indians" but could not quite fit into dominant culture society, trying to unite them under the group United Lenape Band, and Adopted Tribal Peoples.

I have no clue as to what he means by outcasts.  If your ancestors were enrolled so could the descendents be added to the tribal rolls.  The Delawares never kicked anyone out that I know of.

Sam traveled throughout PA and NJ, aligning himself with mixed bloods who were looking for a local community, and those who were of "Native Mind", that later became adopted into his family and later into the Band. This is much the same reason Nora Thompson Dean came to PA and NJ, looking for other Lenape People that stayed behind, Nora was looking for Native folks that "looked" like her and in her words: "so far I have found none of my people that stayed behind in the old homeland", recorded 1978 at Jim Dehaven's home.

Nora did not go East looking for Lenape people, but rather to give lectures and try and educate people about her people and their beliefs.  She was already aware of several groups who had some Lenape blood such as the Nanticoke-Lenape, and the Sandhill Delawares through Jim Revey.

Sometime in the late 70's Sam met up with Bill Sauts Bock, who had been in touch with Nora Thompson Dean, more than some will ever admit. Sauts was named "He who walks in the lead" by Nora as well as participated in ceremonies with her in the Unami Valley as well as at other "ceremonial sites" in PA, some of which was recorded and I have seen myself.

Nora gave names to Bock and his family after she was introduced to him by someone from Lenape land association, a group of educators who hope to have a reconstructed Lenape village somewhere in the Delaware Valley for educational purposes.  Nora felt that this was a worthwhile project and she spent a lot of time in correspondence and in trips East trying to help them get the project going so that people there would better remember the Lenape people.  Bock found out that she was a name giver and requested names, and as a name giver she was not to turn down anyone who made such a request even if they were non-Indian.  Unlike stories that Bock later was telling Nora never did make him a chief, a medicine man, nor a name giver, simply because she did not have power to do such a thing.  In any case why would she want to do that for someone who had no qualifications?

Some common lies:
Sam and Nora knew each other and had a "falling out" in the 60's, they never saw eye to eye after that. Many of the folks in Sam's community knew or corresponded with Nora but Sam and Nora were not friends.

As with the Lenape land association when Sam would write and ask questions Nora would try to answer.  The so called falling out mentioned was a result of him calling Nora one time and telling her that he was trying to form an educational project and he asked her if she would mind answering questions about the Lenape.  She said that she would not mind.  Within a year or two later someone sent her some of his stationery on which she was named as an adviser to this United Lenape band or whatever the name was.  She knew that many of the people named on there were wannabes and she did not appreciate being listed as advisor.  In fact it did cause her some problems, even after her death, because people were posting lists of wannabe Indians and her name would occasionally show up on these lists because of being put on his stationery.

Last edited by sschkaak (May-13-2018 11:13:am)

#129 May-13-2018 11:53:am

sschkaak
Website

My own comments, in bold type, on this (I suppose my questions will have to remain rhetorical):

Sam Gray Wolf Hannah was from Miami Oklahoma, half Delaware and half Cayuga, wolf clan.  [As his story goes, this is the Cayuga wolf clan—NOT the Lenape wolf clan.  And, as we now know, he was from Ohio and was born in Kentucky.] He joined and later became president of League of North American Indians (LNAI) in the 1950’s, which was a follow up to The Brotherhood of North American Indians, made known by Richard Adams.  [The Adams organization dissolved after just two years.  The LNAI was founded in 1935—twenty-three years after the BNAI became extinct.  So, the LNAI might have adopted some ideas from the BNAI, but it doesn’t seem to have any direct links to it.]  LNAI and the BNAI were the predecessors to the American Indian Movement(AIM), all of which were politically based organizations, equip with there drama and bickering.  Gray Wolf was a veteran of World War 2 where he served in the infantry and paratroops, was decorated 3 times, Korea, Wounded Knee-AIM Occupation, and Mohawk Conflict.

Sam’s political motivation was to see that the Native people have a political voice through the intertribal organization LNAI, a united voice to be able to speak out that was not tainted by the sock puppet Tribal Councils that were receiving government money and speaking for the “Hang ‘round the fort Indians".  [i.e., real Indians]  His cultural motivation was to retain and revive the depleting woodlands culture, specifically of the Lenape People.  In a time that saw the loss of the Gamwing, the Doll Dance, and was seeing Traditionalists and language die off, people flock to the Peyote Religion, and Plains Indians becoming the image for all Native People, Sam began his role in keeping what was left alive.  [Since Sam was, ostensibly, a Cayuga, one wonders why he didn’t try to spearhead a revival among his own tribe or among unenrolled Cayuga descendants in the East.]  Sam traveled all over the US, staying in various places for a period and then moving on, as many Native People did during that time, looking for something better than the “Indian Towns" [i.e, towns with real Indians] of Oklahoma and the surrounding bars.  He worked hard to find people of native blood, mixed breeds, who were outcast by the “Federal Indians" [i.e., real Indians] but could not quite fit into dominant culture society, trying to unite them under the group United Lenape Band, and Adopted [i.e., non-Indian] Tribal Peoples.  At this time in American history there were not as many that wanted to step up to this, as it was not “cool" to be Indian yet!  Sam eventually settled down in Ohio [where he grew up] after living with  the Cayuga in NY where he was given honorary Chief Horns, acknowledging his work and his “Band" of Lenape/Delaware descendents.  [Why?  And, who were these Cayuga?  Enrolled?  Unenrolled?  Wannabes?  Who are the New York Cayugas who will confirm this?  Where can one read about this?]

Sam traveled throughout PA and NJ, aligning himself with mixed bloods who were looking for a local community, and those who were of “Native Mind" [i.e., non-Indians], that later became adopted into his family [His family was purportedly Cayuga.] and later into the Band.  This is much the same reason Nora Thompson Dean came to PA and NJ, looking for other Lenape People that stayed behind, Nora was looking for Native folks that “looked" like her and in her words: “so far I have found none of my people that stayed behind in the old homeland", recorded 1978 at Jim Dehaven’s home.  [I would really like to know what the context was wherein she is said to have made this statement, because in her letter on Billy Little Soldier that was published in the Wassaja newspaper for March, 1978, she quoted “a part Lenape from New Jersey," so she obviously found at least one of her “people that stayed behind in the old homeland."  (See the first message in this topic:  http://www.woodlandindians.org/forums/v … hp?id=5677 ]   “Sam on the other hand and no expectations that the people in the East would look like him, in fact the opposite, he knew that they were very mixed, and Sam was more open to taking people in who he thought could better the community.  [By 1978 members of the Delaware Tribe of Oklahoma (Mrs. Dean’s tribe) were largely a very mixed people, so why would she—a full-blood—expect to see people in the East who “looked like her"?]  Around this time, mid 70’s, Sam met up with Bill Thompson who had been attending the Powwows in the Poconos, Bill was eager to start a community in the eastern area, which Sam agreed to, appointing Bill “Chief" over his community here in eastern PA, a “branch" of the ULB.  Sam’s Aims and Goals were “basically" to return to an old way of “tribal life", re-establish the clan system, continue the trading post, community gardening, revival of the language, and study of the Great Law [not Lenape], Mdewin [not Lenape], and Big House Codes of ethics and life [? Not sure what this is.] to ultimately re-establish a self government for the communities and bands.  The “Aims and Goals" are published in the book: The Spirit of Geronimo Returns, with an article about Sam.  Sometime in the late 70’s Sam met up with Bill Sauts Bock, who had been in touch with Nora Thompson Dean, more than some will ever admit.  [Who?]  Sauts was named “He who walks in the lead" by Nora as well as participated in ceremonies with her in the Unami Valley as well as at other “ceremonial sites" in PA, some of which was recorded and I have seen myself.  [So, was she demonstrating how the Lenape perfomed a ceremony or ceremonies?  If so, so what?  She went there to teach about the Lenape.  Jim Rementer has no memory of this and says that Sauts was given a name in his home.]  And from this point on the known characters trickle in to the scene of the years.  Sam maintaining his community in Ohio and Bill his in the East, Bill was free to take whom he saw fit as was Sam.  At one point Sam and Bill briefly associated with Pan-American Indian Association,  Sam officially severed his ties in ‘94 by council vote and decision, at this time the finally cut all ties to Bill Thompson and his group, Sam and the council strongly opposed applying for recognition, for numerous reasons, his community was not eligible as a) they were not a continuous community, never were, b) Sam would not exclude anyone from his community that was not able to meet the “white mans" quota [What’s that?  Indian tribes set their own blood-quantum requirements—NOT “the white man."], and he believed that it went against everything that LNAI and BNAI stood for, standing up for the traditionalists and those “outcast" because they didn’t have enough blood.  [Again, what’s “enough blood"?  Both the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma (which the Delaware Tribe was part of at that time) and the sovereign Delaware Tribe both have lineage-based BQ requirements that allow anyone, of any degree of tribal blood, to be members, if they meet the requirement of having an ancestor on the official tribal base roll.]  I can only guess that at this time some in-fighting started, however when Sam was on his death bed there was a couple who showed up trying to get his signature making them “chief", after he passed his council began a year of mourning, others began their own agenda, while there are some left that were part of the original community, they stay to themselves and have little or nothing to do with the “new" groups, they tried to restore the community but with all the claims and bickering and lying no one knew who to believe.  I am  still in contact with some of these folks, we even have ceremonial land that was given to “us", Sam and Chief Katuha [Chief “Cherokee"?] where we have closed ceremonies and sometimes have Oklahoma Delaware come to see the site as it is untouched and protected from development.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, it is long winded, sorry about that, but it is a long story!!!  LOL
Some common lies:
-Sam adopted Tom Big Warrior
    Tom was NOT adopted by Sam, Tom was adopted by Sauts, Sam did not like Tom much in the “early stages" but accepted him as he is Indian and had potential with his knowledge of history.

- Sam gave Bill Harford a “Sundance Pipe"
    Sam never gave anyone a Sundance Pipe, nor could he, Sam was not Lakota, or any Sundancing Tribe, this was a lie from Harford to try and save his ass when he crossed the line at a Sundance.  The Pipe that we took was a “crazycrow hobby pipe"

-Sam gave Bob Ruth a pipe from Oklahoma which is now in Chucks Demunds possession
    I saw this pipe and it is not one of the ones that came from OK, one is in Sams wifes possession which was made by J Thompson, I have one that was made by C. Knapp, and there was one buried in Ohio, that accounts for all 3.

-Sam gave Bill Thompson “Lenape Horns"
    Sam always explained where the horns came from, the Cayuga, and that Lenape did not have “horns" but rather exchanged wampum, and Sam’s community used silver conchos to mark the positions [Lenape?], I am pretty sure Jim Winski’s community have the original conchos, I do not know who all has these now, or who has replications, I have one set that I got way after the fact, not marking anything but memories, and his former Peace Chief has his still, I believe Dale White Panther has the Wampum belt made.

Sam and Nora knew each other and had a “falling out" in the 60’s, they never saw eye to eye after that.  Many of the folks in Sam’s community knew or corresponded with Nora but Sam and Nora were not friends.

Last edited by sschkaak (May-13-2018 08:08:pm)

#130 May-14-2018 10:54:pm

Suckachsinheet

I would suspect that the "Big House Code of Ethics and life" are actually the Longhouse Code or the Code of Handsome Lake. Again, not Lenape.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

Board footer