Announcement

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » feather prohibition doesnt violate freedom of religion

#1 Apr-07-2011 07:09:pm

lenape_eela
Visitor

feather prohibition doesnt violate freedom of religion

restricting  use of eagle parts or feathers to members of recognized tribes do not violate  the religious freedoms of non- indians.   denvers 10th court decided  the other day....... "its totally discriminatory to say i dont ha ve the right to practice my religion the way i have been taught, and by the rights i have been given by native american spiritual leaders because i cant prove that i'm any indian under the law, because i'm white".  " i thought we all had the right to religious freedom  in this country?"  samuel ray wilgus jr.

article reposted from the native american times ..page 4, april 8th, 2011..

* what is everyones opinion if they have one? *

MOla

#2 Apr-07-2011 08:02:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: feather prohibition doesnt violate freedom of religion

Here's mine:  Use of eagle feathers should be limited strictly to American Indians.  Current law states that use is restricted to Indians in federally-recognized tribes.  Whether or not that restriction is justified is another matter.  At any rate, this case was correctly decided.

#3 Apr-13-2011 10:10:pm

bls926
Administrator

This is as it should be. Without these laws, every pretendian and his dog would have eagle feathers. This case was definitely decided correctly.

#4 Oct-07-2011 04:09:pm

tn_metis
Visitor

in that same case...in the saenz situation...the 10th court also stated that an individual need not be a member of a recognized tribe to possess eagle feathers PROVIDED that the individual is in fact using the feathers as part of his religious ceremony and beliefs..........it's really a confusing decision since the court ruled in favor of saenz and against wilgus...........and now that the eagle has been removed from both the endangered and the "at risk" lists, they may not be subject to the protective laws any more....one need only look at the situation with wolves now that they have removed from the protected lists to make the arguement in regards to eagles................not saying whether i agree or not - just giving some food for thought..............

#5 Jun-15-2017 11:19:pm

NeoPaleo
Visitor

lenape_eela wrote:

restricting  use of eagle parts or feathers to members of recognized tribes do not violate  the religious freedoms of non- indians.   denvers 10th court decided  the other day....... "its totally discriminatory to say i dont ha ve the right to practice my religion the way i have been taught, and by the rights i have been given by native american spiritual leaders because i cant prove that i'm any indian under the law, because i'm white".  " i thought we all had the right to religious freedom  in this country?"  samuel ray wilgus jr.

article reposted from the native american times ..page 4, april 8th, 2011..

* what is everyones opinion if they have one? *

MOla

Indians who allow the federal government to deny their religion allow their genocide.

What color corn do you grow?

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » feather prohibition doesnt violate freedom of religion

Board footer