Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-05-2017 08:36:am

Kavik
Visitor

Quick Translation Help

Hello,

I'm trying to say "(the) prayer of the brotherhood", or "(the) brotherhood prayer".

I think in SU it would be something like "wimaht├źntienkwi patamweokan" - I'm wondering if I can combine it into one word (albeit a long one), but I'm not sure if the  -kw would need to change (i.e. the -w might be realized as a vowel).

Is there a way to combine it into one word? Is the form that I show above (two words) correct?

Thanks!

#2 May-05-2017 11:05:am

sschkaak
Website

Re: Quick Translation Help

I don't see how to do that in one word.  Wimachtendienk is actually a participle formed from a reciprocal verb, even though Zeisberger glossed it as "brotherhood."  Literally, it is "we (excl.) who are brothers to one another."  I would prefer to write it as wimachtindienk (changing the first e to i). 

So, wimachtindienk mbatamoewoaganena in NU.  "We who are brothers to one another, our prayer."

[Note:  The forum is having trouble transcribing accented vowels.  You can see the result in your post.  Until that is fixed, it is best not to use the accents.  Also, you will not receive a reply to a topic you've subscribed to.  You have to come back to the forum to see if there are any replies.]

#3 May-05-2017 12:36:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks very much -

OK so no go on trying to get it into one word; that's right, it's participle.

Hmmm....okay, so you're just adding a normal possessive to "prayer" rather than an -i to the first word because that first element is really not a noun, correct?

LOL - I figured something was going on regarding the accented vowels! Thanks for the heads up.

#4 May-05-2017 12:45:pm

sschkaak
Website

Kavik wrote:

Hmmm....okay, so you're just adding a normal possessive to "prayer" rather than an -i to the first word because that first element is really not a noun, correct?

That is correct.

Board footer