#77 May-28-2010 10:55:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: Newcomb: Something missing from PBS’s ‘Tecumseh’s Vision’

Newallike wrote:

Chevy wrote:

In essentials, unity
In non-essentials, liberty
In all things, charity

I like your quote. Where does it come from?

This is the motto of the Moravian Church of North America.

Interesting. It was a motto of the Restoration [Stone-Campbell] movement, in which I am a minister. I would be interested to see who borrowed it from whom. It was being used widely in the movement by 1830; did the Moravians use it prior to that?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#78 May-29-2010 09:52:pm

Chevy

Interesting. It was a motto of the Restoration [Stone-Campbell] movement, in which I am a minister. I would be interested to see who borrowed it from whom. It was being used widely in the movement by 1830; did the Moravians use it prior to that?

You surprised me!  Suckachsinheet, I was brought up in the same.

#79 Sep-07-2015 08:17:am

sschkaak
Website

http://www.timesreporter.com/article/20 … /1994/NEWS

Picture of the Park at the article.

By Rex Huffman   
TimesReporter.com Features Editor

Posted Sep. 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM

GNADENHUTTEN       
Gnadenhutten, considered Ohio’s oldest existing settlement, was founded in October 1772, as the second settlement of German Americans and Lenape (Delaware) Native Americans affiliated with the Moravian Church.

The Moravian mission village prospered until the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, when its residents were driven from their homes.

In February 1782, they were allowed to return to their village.

On March 8, 1782, following a night of hymn singing and prayer, 90 men, women and children — all Native Americans — were massacred by Pennsylvania Militia and all of their cabins were set on fire. The incident today is known as the Gnadenhutten Massacre.

The village of Gnadenhutten was re-established in 1798. Today, a museum, which is maintained by the Gnadenhutten Historical Society, a mass grave, a monument, and two reconstructed log buildings commemorate the tragic event.

The 37-foot monument, located next to the reconstructed mission house in what was the center of the original village, was dedicated on June 5, 1872.

The inscription reads: “Here triumphed in death 90 Christian Indians, March 8, 1782.”

President Theodore Roosevelt referred to the event as “a stain on the frontier character that time cannot wash away.”

Information is available at the website www.gnaden.com.

Need directions? GPS it 352 South Cherry St., Gnadenhutten.

#80 Sep-11-2015 11:00:am

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

http://www.timesreporter.com/article/20150906/NEWS/150909490/1994/NEWS

Picture of the Park at the article.

By Rex Huffman   
TimesReporter.com Features Editor

Posted Sep. 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM

GNADENHUTTEN       
Gnadenhutten, considered Ohio’s oldest existing settlement, was founded in October 1772, as the second settlement of German Americans and Lenape (Delaware) Native Americans affiliated with the Moravian Church.

The Moravian mission village prospered until the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, when its residents were driven from their homes.

In February 1782, they were allowed to return to their village.

On March 8, 1782, following a night of hymn singing and prayer, 90 men, women and children — all Native Americans — were massacred by Pennsylvania Militia and all of their cabins were set on fire. The incident today is known as the Gnadenhutten Massacre.

The village of Gnadenhutten was re-established in 1798. Today, a museum, which is maintained by the Gnadenhutten Historical Society, a mass grave, a monument, and two reconstructed log buildings commemorate the tragic event.

The 37-foot monument, located next to the reconstructed mission house in what was the center of the original village, was dedicated on June 5, 1872.

The inscription reads: “Here triumphed in death 90 Christian Indians, March 8, 1782.”

President Theodore Roosevelt referred to the event as “a stain on the frontier character that time cannot wash away.”

Information is available at the website www.gnaden.com.

Need directions? GPS it 352 South Cherry St., Gnadenhutten.

Hello Sschkaak, it's been about 5 years since I contributed to this thread and am still lurking and reading with interest the various posts on the forum.  Since my last post I have visited Gnadenhutten twice, both times on the anniversary date of the massacre and both times I came away wondering about the memorial.  In that same time I have completed a novel titled, OBELISK: A Tale of Spiritual Warfare where I detail the Gnadenhutten Massacre.  My 'test readers' have commented on the fact that there is no cross, but an obelisk commemorating the event. as the Moravian Delaware Indians were known as Christian Indians.

Has anyone here been to the site to see that the blacktop sidewalk they have installed actually touches the burial mound where the remains of the Indians were buried in a mass grave?  People walking by actually throw cigarette butts and other trash on the mound itself.  I would like to see that sidewalk moved a respectable distance from the mound and a cross erected in memory of the Christians buried there.  When I retire in a year or so, I may just make it my business to look into the matter with the Gnadenhutten Historical Society, possibly with the help of Barbara Bush, a Moravian descendant with many relatives buried in the same cemetery, to see if it can be accomplished.

Stay tuned!

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#81 Sep-11-2015 01:49:pm

sschkaak
Website

Hello, Newallike.

I hope you can get those things accomplished.  I have never been to Gnadenhutten.  This last article I posted was sent to my e-mail, so I thought this would be the best thread on which to post it. 

Best of luck with your novel.

#82 Mar-04-2017 10:01:am

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

Hello, Newallike.

I hope you can get those things accomplished.  I have never been to Gnadenhutten.  This last article I posted was sent to my e-mail, so I thought this would be the best thread on which to post it. 

Best of luck with your novel.

Hello once more to all of you.  It has now been a couple more years since my posting on this forum.  I have now retired from the University of Michigan, and it may interest you to know that I was at the Gnadenhutten Historical Park the following day, getting started.

I would like to attach an email that I am using to promote involvement for the upcoming anniversary date of the Moravian Indian Massacre at Gnadenhutten, Ohio on March 8, 1782.

I am going to attach, separately, a link to a YouTube video I produced telling the story of the massacre and my request to have a Christian Cross erected at the burial mound as it may not transfer in the email.

Here is the link:  https://youtu.be/P7ZNKp-sTF4 

Here is the notice being sent all around the country to national news organizations and any other interested parties.

My name is Gerard Heath.  I am a direct descendant and current member of the Moravian Band of the Delaware Indians, now known as the Delaware Nation at Moraviantown.

On March 8th, it will be the 235th anniversary of the Gnadenhutten Massacre of the Moravian Delaware Indians.  The remains of these 96 Christian Indians lay exposed to the forest animals and the weather for over 15 years before being piled in a mass grave called the Burial Mound for the Christian Indian Martyrs.
I am uniquely qualified to speak to this matter as my great great grandfather, Christian Moses Stonefish, dedicated the obelisk that stands in the Gnadenhutten Historical Park, erected as a memorial in 1872, and it is my family interred in that burial mound.

I am trying to raise awareness of this day to raise funds to erect a Christian Cross at the burial mound.  A national news spot on March 8th, would help to achieve this goal.

Follow this link to a YouTube video I created and posted that tells the story of the massacre and speaks to my request to erect a Christian Cross.

The Moravian Indian Massacre at Gnadenhutten, Ohio

Please share this video with everyone you know.  Please send it to news outlets if you have those connections. My goal is national news coverage on the morning of March 8th, hopefully from the Gnadenhutten Historical Park. 

I will be at the park at sunrise, the hour they began the massacre, standing vigil, and answering questions for reporters, or anyone else with questions.  I will be surveying/measuring the area near the burial mound until 2 pm.

Thank you for considering my request and may God bless you for your support of these Wilderness Christians.

Gerard F. Heath
Delaware Nation at Moraviantown

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#83 Mar-04-2017 12:51:pm

sschkaak
Website

Anushiik!  I got your e-mail letter, today, as well.  I wish I could travel to be there that day, but that's not possible, anymore.  I hope the event is well-covered by the press. 

Best wishes!

#84 Mar-04-2017 01:13:pm

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

Anushiik!  I got your e-mail letter, today, as well.  I wish I could travel to be there that day, but that's not possible, anymore.  I hope the event is well-covered by the press. 

Best wishes!

Thank you,  it's nice to find you still here.  If there is anything that you, or anyone reading this, can do to nudge the press for  a story on that day, it would be greatly appreciated.  Or even if everyone could just push the video to family and friends, it will go a long way toward consciousness raising of the day and the event.

I am a Delaware Indian
I am still alive
I am still here

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#85 Mar-09-2017 01:51:pm

sschkaak
Website

So, how did the event go?

#86 Mar-09-2017 10:01:pm

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

The event went well, better than I could have hoped for.  I was alone at the burial mound at sunrise but was soon joined by a gentleman from the
Woodworkers of Central Ohio (WOCO) with his scale model of a proposed design for the cross.  Shortly, we were joined by the curator of the Gnadenhutten Museum, some Town Council members, local pastors including the local Moravian Church, and reporters.

The Town Council met the previous evening and approved, in advance, the changes being proposed for the park and the Mayor's representative reported this out to the group.  The council and guests were shown the YouTube video, The Moravian Indian Massacre at Gnadenhutten, Ohio
to rave reviews.  At this writing, the video has been viewed over 700 times.  A lot of people are learning a lot of things. 
Anyone who cares to can view the video here:

https://youtu.be/P7ZNKp-sTF4

Resolutions were made to stay connected and work together to commemorate and memorialize these Christian Indian Martyrs at least on an annual basis and remain open to suggestions for further development of the site.

I am grateful to members of the press who are working on articles for publication which I will try to make sure you see.  Also, here is a link to a major news outlet that carried the press release I sent on the massacre anniversary date.  You can look at the article here.

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/h … massacred/

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#87 Mar-10-2017 01:46:pm

sschkaak
Website

Excellent!  Very good to hear this.

#88 Mar-12-2017 10:21:am

Newallike
Visitor

Newallike wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

The event went well, better than I could have hoped for.  I was alone at the burial mound at sunrise but was soon joined by a gentleman from the
Woodworkers of Central Ohio (WOCO) with his scale model of a proposed design for the cross.  Shortly, we were joined by the curator of the Gnadenhutten Museum, some Town Council members, local pastors including the local Moravian Church, and reporters.

The Town Council met the previous evening and approved, in advance, the changes being proposed for the park and the Mayor's representative reported this out to the group.  The council and guests were shown the YouTube video, The Moravian Indian Massacre at Gnadenhutten, Ohio
to rave reviews.  At this writing, the video has been viewed over 700 times.  A lot of people are learning a lot of things. 

https://youtu.be/Yg0-ME64L64

Resolutions were made to stay connected and work together to commemorate and memorialize these Christian Indian Martyrs at least on an annual basis and remain open to suggestions for further development of the site.

I am grateful to members of the press who are working on articles for publication which I will try to make sure you see.  Also, here is a link to a major news outlet that carried the press release I sent on the massacre anniversary date.  You can look at the article here.

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#89 Mar-12-2017 10:26:am

Newallike
Visitor

I had to repost this as I had to make minor changes to the video and the url has changed.  It is corrected in this post.

Newallike wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

https://youtu.be/Yg0-ME64L64

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#90 Mar-13-2017 11:13:am

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

Should anyone care to read more, here is a link to the story that was written by Cindy Davis of the Times-Reporter telling about the meeting at the Burial Mound.

http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20170 … -in-gnaden

This story really grew legs, here is a copy of the report carried at The Telegraph-UK, a British news outlet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 … -american/

The purpose of the meeting was to raise awareness of the event and the site.  They are not forgotten.

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

#91 Mar-13-2017 11:32:am

sschkaak
Website

Anushiik!  The forum has been somewhat comatose for the last several months; however, that only applies to posting.  Be assured that it still gets many, many readers.  I follow the views (i.e., counts) on many of the threads, including this one.

#92 Mar-13-2017 12:13:pm

Newallike
Visitor

sschkaak wrote:

Anushiik!  The forum has been somewhat comatose for the last several months; however, that only applies to posting.  Be assured that it still gets many, many readers.  I follow the views (i.e., counts) on many of the threads, including this one.

I too follow the views and note the lack of comments.  I don't find it peculiar, really.  What is there to say about such a horrible event?

Consciousness raising and education is the goal.   FYI, the video has been watched over 1,500 times, all over the world.

Does Gnadenhutten have a Planning Commission? smile

In essentials, unity
In all things, charity

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Newcomb: Something missing from PBS’s ‘Tecumseh’s Vision’

Board footer