Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-28-2017 02:49:pm

Suckachsinheet

A greeting

I am puzzling through how to say "welcome to our camp". The lexicon shows "peihackwinammen" as "to welcome" and "mechmauwikenk" as "camp". Both words appear to already have modifications on them. I'm supposing that "mechmauwikenk" already includes a locative suffix and a third person possessive suffix? And I can't find an example in the lessons of another verb like "peihackwinammen" to see how to decline it to express "you are welcome". Does that verb form already have some modifications on it?

I am supposed to be re-enacting for an activity called "Night at the Museum" next week and, in keeping with that theme, I want to greet the people in "my own language" before I begin speaking English.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#2 Jan-28-2017 06:12:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: A greeting

kpeihackwinolóhena énda mechmauwíkéyenk!  "We welcome you where we habitually camp!"  [Notes:  1- That -ch- is pronounced simply like an -h-.  2- If you want to leave out the "habitually" part, just use mauwíkéyenk.]

The first word is a class 4 transitive animate verb in the indicative mode of the independent order.  The last word is an animate intransitive verb in the changed mode of the conjunct order.  Its use is triggered by the preverb, énda, which is always followed by a verb in the conjunct order.  Initial change shifts to the preverb, so énda is pronounced as ane (rhymes with pane) -duh (rhymes with huh).

#3 Jan-28-2017 08:38:pm

Suckachsinheet

Anischi. Quite a mouthful compared to "He ju" and "pak wiloksik". lol

Since you gave me the road map, I will go back and see if I can understand how those words are formed.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Jan-28-2017 09:45:pm

sschkaak
Website

Geez!  Paul!  I'm having a really bad night.  That should be mechmauwikéyenk and/or mauwikéyenk, to which I've changed it, above.  Mea culpa!  (I know you'll love having another syllable!  LOL!)

Board footer