Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Aug-11-2016 02:20:pm

Kavik
Visitor

SU Possessive Construction

OK - so I've completely misplaced a bunch of grammar notes and am trying to do a quick paradigm of the possessive in SU.

As far as I know it goes like this:

My         n(t)- noun - (em) 

Your       k(t) - noun - (em)

His/Her   w - noun - (em)   'w' here may do a few funky things depending on initial letter of noun 

Our (exc.) n(t) - noun - (em) - ena

Our (inc.)  k(t) - noun - (em) - ena

Your         k(t) - noun - (em) - ??? owa

Their  w - noun - (em) - ewoo

To which one may add the plural forms to. The -em- is completely optional.

Is the above correct??

Can't remember exactly what 2nd person plural ending is.

Are there also the forms ne-, and  ke- ?? If so, when are the used?

Thanks!

#2 Aug-11-2016 03:38:pm

sschkaak

Re: SU Possessive Construction

I'm not sure I'm competent enough in SU to cover every possible possessive formation for nouns.  Here's those I know:

my  =  n- in words beginning with n- (with which it merges).  n- in words beginning with ch-, h-, k-, l- (sometimes), s-, sh-, t and x.  nt- in words beginning with a vowel.  ne- in words beginning with m- or w-.  m- in words beginning with p-.  nte- in some words beginning with l-.  [There may be some exceptional words with different formations.  At least one speaker used l- for first person with words beginning with l.  Some speakers say hn- for nh-.]

your (sg.)  =  k- in words beginning with k- (with which it merges).  k- in some words beginning with consonants.    kt- in words beginning with a vowel.  ke- in some words beginning with consonants.  kte- in words beginning with l-.

his/her  =  As you write.  The most important oddballs are placing the w- after the initial of nouns beginning with h- (hw-), k- (kw-), m- (mw-), p- (pw-), and x (xw-).

our (incl.)  =  Prefixes as with "I" above.  Suffixes as you write.

our (excl.)  =  Prefixes as with "you (sg.)" above.  Suffixes as you write.

your (pl.)  =  Prefixes as with "you (sg.)" above.  Suffix as -uwa, usually.  -ewa after -y-.

their  =  Prefixes as you write, but with the same varied permutations ("funky things") you cite for his/her.  Suffix as -uwa, usually.  -ewa after -y-.

When adding the noun plurals to these possessive plurals, use -enan-, -oo- and -eo- (I think!).

#3 Aug-12-2016 07:43:am

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks -

I'm wondering if perhaps the 2nd person pl. in SU might be -owa instead of -uwa ('u' being usually NU) - ?

#4 Aug-12-2016 08:05:am

sschkaak

Kavik wrote:

Thanks -

I'm wondering if perhaps the 2nd person pl. in SU might be -owa instead of -uwa ('u' being usually NU) - ?

SU, kenaxkuwa  = "your (pl.) hands" 

You should probably check with Jim Rementer, at the LTD e-mail address, about this.  He's the SU expert.  Mission Delaware (NU) is often a conglomeration of dialects and you will find both -owa and -uwa in their second person plural possessives.

#5 Aug-12-2016 11:23:am

Kavik
Visitor

Thanks - I'll give him a shot!

#6 Aug-12-2016 01:40:pm

sschkaak

Addendum:  One thing I forgot to tell you is that in SU the letter combination, -wa-, usually transforms into -o-.  So, in words beginning with consonant plus -a-, where the third person w- moves after the initial letter, that -wa- changes to -o-; thus, a word like mwaxkam changes to moxkam.

#7 Aug-12-2016 02:58:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Ah...okay - I knew about that with the endings on words, but didn't realize it also applied to adding something as a 'prefix' - makes sense; same phonological environment, same change should take place.

Board footer