Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Aug-05-2014 01:01:pm

sschkaak

Eastern Delaware Nations

"The Eastern Delaware Nation [sic!  Should be "Nations."] has recently begun offering workshops on how to conduct genealogical research.  Funding for this effort has been provided by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and additional grants are being sought." (page 133)

"The EDN has been quite successful in obtaining grants from organizations, such as the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, either to fund programs to train members in new dances or to help members conduct their own genealogical research."  (page 211)

Minderhout & Frantz, Invisible Indians:  Native Americans in Pennsylvania, Amherst, NY (2008)

#2 Aug-05-2014 01:16:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Eastern Delaware Nations

neutral

#3 Aug-05-2014 10:14:pm

Suckachsinheet

I was not aware of this. Unfortunately, my source contacts to verify this are somewhat out of date so I'm not sure how I would proceed. This certainly deserves further inquiry.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Feb-21-2015 10:48:pm

NanticokePiney

Bump

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#5 Jul-17-2016 05:26:pm

sschkaak

#6 Jul-20-2016 07:12:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

http://standardspeaker.com/news/pow-wow-combines-native-american-traditions-nature-1.2067672

Lovely photos too at link above

BY KENT JACKSON / PUBLISHED: JULY 17, 2016

The dancing stopped around a sacred circle as John Tamaqua spoke the opening words, first in Native Delaware and then in English, at the Inter-Tribal Native American Pow-wow in Drums on Saturday.

“Thank you creator for giving us this day, for our food, good health. Thank you for fire and water … trees and flowers, animals, birds and insects,” he said.

Respect for tradition and nature was apparent during the pow-wow, held at Camp Rotawanis.

Fire placed between four poles in the center of the circle around which dancers paraded has been tended for 23 years.

“This is where we can share it together. This is the way we live,” said Lynn Little Wolf, who organized the pow-wow, which is in its fifth year.

His roots are in the Delaware Nation, but the pow-wow welcomes all tribes and spectators.

Alex Cortez is Navajo from Arizona but heard about the pow-wow while working in Pennsylvania for a few weeks this summer. He attended with his wife, Bridget, who sold jewelry that she makes at one of the many vendors’ tents on the grounds, and their son, Alejandro.

“Every plant and animal represents something in our tribe,” Cortez said.

Heidi Grey, wearing the regalia of her Mohegan tribe, said her values include respecting elders, learning something every day and tending the environment.

“I hate litter, can’t stand anything that interferes with nature. Erase your footprints,” Grey said before adding her footsteps to the next dance.

Women dance differently than men, and dances differ within tribes.

A veterans dance was part of the grand entry where Native dancers joined with men and women who served in the armed forces or police and fire departments.

“Thank you for your service. Give us a chance to honor you this way,” Barry Lee, the master of ceremonies, said while inviting veterans into the circle.

“That’s a very good thing,” Bill Tilford, a Vietnam veteran from Glenolden, Delaware County, said after the dance.

Tilford was among the scores of spectators who came to the pow-wow.

Dave Shema attended his first pow-wow while accompanying Amanda Neidlinger and her son, Nathaniel, whose relatives are dancers.

Carol Helmick of White Haven said she was interested because one of her great-great-grandmothers was Seneca.

Amy Segal attended because she is friends with the lead drummer, Thunder Bear.

“We’re from the same tribe so we come for support,” she said.

Robert Perez of Lancaster has Blackfeet roots.

“Being here helps me to learn,” he said. “I love it — the respect they have for what they believe in … What I like most is they don’t let it die.”

The pow-pow continues today, with gates opening at 10 a.m. and the grand entry at noon.

kjackson@standardspeaker.com

#7 Jul-20-2016 07:55:am

sschkaak

Thanks for copying that.  I tried, but was pulling my hair out in the attempt.  It didn't want to copy for me!

#8 Jul-20-2016 09:33:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

You're welcome and it wasn't just you. That was a pain lol.

Board footer