Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Aug-21-2015 05:11:pm

dennison

Farwell Chokalihle

Glen Jacobs passed on to the spirit world this morning. For those who are not familiar with him , it is his voice on  introduction to Munsee language CD that was put out by the Stockbridge-Munsee.

#2 Aug-21-2015 07:06:pm

sschkaak

Re: Farwell Chokalihle

Very sorry to hear that, Al.  Glen studied Delaware language under Dianne Snake, as I understand it.  He was a consultant on the Last of the Mohicans film, and taught Delaware to various descendants.  I did not know him, and we might have disagreed on the Walam Olum, but his passing is a real loss to those at Moraviantown and elsewhere in the Delaware diaspora.  My sincere condolences.

#3 Aug-21-2015 09:57:pm

dennison

Thank for highlighting the other accomplishments. Last month he held a munsee language teaching tent at the Lenape Gathering in Stockbridge Reservation . He was pleased by all the folks who were lined up to wanting to learn.

#4 Aug-22-2015 03:23:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

#5 Feb-12-2016 09:10:am

sschkaak

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/02/ … o.facebook

{Picture at the link.}

RIDGETOWN - Glen Jacobs was more than a teacher to students from the Delaware Nation in Moraviantown, he was a direct link to their Lenape language, culture and traditions.

Sadly, Jacobs passed away last summer, but there is now a portrait of him that will have a place of prominence at Naahii Ridge Public School to honour his contributions to students. Jacobs also taught Grade 7 and 8 students who attend Ridgetown District Secondary School.

A special ceremony was held at Naahii Ridge on Thursday to unveil the portrait that was painted by Mackenzie Desbiens, a Grade 12 student at Ursuline College Chatham.

The ceremony featured several children sharing their memories of Jacobs, including how he was the best teacher some students ever had and that he is missed.
Eleven-year-old Morgan Jacobs said it was “awesome” being taught by her cousin, “because he was my very first Lenape teacher.”

The Grade 6 student said Jacobs not only taught her the Lenape words for a Remembrance Day song she created, he also shared an important message that she'll never forget.

“He told me, 'Your language always comes first when you're singing,'” she said. “That means a lot.”

Morgan said she misses her cousin, adding it is hard to believe he has passed away.

She plans to continue learning her culture and traditions, “because Lenape is my first language.”

Naahii Ridge principal Mary Anne Patterson first met Jacobs more than a decade ago when they shared office space together at the school when she was a literacy coach and he was a student success teacher.

“I noticed, immediately, Glen's passion for his language and his culture and traditions,” she said, adding he shared that with the students.

She recalled Jacobs as someone “who was always laughing and smiling and just uplifting, and the students were really drawn to that.”

Patterson said Jacobs was a support for Delaware Nation students, always checking up on kids to make sure they were OK and doing well with their academics, and often had lunch with students.

Patterson said Jacobs played a key role in helping to bring the Lenape language instruction to the school, adding there are not many schools that offer a third language of instruction.

The principal said Jacobs' efforts had “huge impact” on students.

“If students are aware of their culture and their history and their traditions, then they feel valued and they feel that they're connected to that,” Patterson said.
She added the students are very engaged in learning about their culture and traditions.

Desbiens, whose mother Denise is a Grade 1 teacher at Naahii Ridge, was excited to have the opportunity to use her artistic talents to honour the popular teacher.
“It was a really amazing journey for me, just learning about Glen and being able to paint him was just an awesome experience,” she said.

As soon as she learned Jacobs' spirit name was 'Chohkalihle,' which means red winged black bird, she knew she had to incorporate that into the portrait.

Desbiens never met Jacobs, but spoke with staff at Naahii Ridge and her mother had told her stories about the popular teacher.

“When I was painting it, I kind of felt like I was getting to know him,” she said.

Board footer