Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jul-21-2015 11:09:am

Kavik
Visitor

Pitch Accent in Lenape??

I've noticed that the more I listen to individual words as pronounced on the LTD site, it seems as though the stressed syllable is actually being raised a bit in pitch - not sure if this is just something subconsciously being done by the speakers and bears no relation to Lenape stress, or if perhaps, Lenape does in fact employ a bit of pitch accent in addition to or in place of stress accent. Typically you don't see both; it's one or the other (though some Scandinavian languages handle both nicely).

Wondering if I'm just hearing things, wishful thinking on my part - what?? Can't help notice the raise in pitch on a stressed syllable.

Is there something to this or not? 

Unfortunately, I've never heard enough of the language spoken in large paragraphs to really pick up on it as far as multiple words spoken in succession; just with individual glosses.

Any insights?

Thanks!

#2 Jul-21-2015 01:16:pm

sschkaak

Re: Pitch Accent in Lenape??

There are places where a rise in pitch occurs, such as at the end of some phrases and sentences in prayers.  I believe there is a change in pitch when asking questions without question marker words, also.  I don't think these instances correspond with stressed syllables, though.  Best to put your question directly to the LTD site.  They encourage queries.

#3 Jul-21-2015 03:24:pm

Kavik
Visitor

Re: Pitch Accent in Lenape??

Thanks - I'll give them a try - didn't even think of that.

Board footer