tree hugger
Site Admin

Rock-hard secrets

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all- … 3459.story

Lenni Lenapes hope to prove area sites are sacred tribal grounds
By Tim Blangger

Of The Morning Call

August 6, 2007

Fred Werkheiser steers his pickup truck down an unmarked dirt lane, passing an isolated farmstead before reaching the grassy, circular driveway of a stone farmhouse nestled near the foot of a steep, broad mountain somewhere in Berks County.

In one sense, Werkheiser, a historic sites coordinator with a local Lenni Lenape group, hopes to keep this location as little known as possible. It's on private land, for one. And while he has the permission of the landowner to bring academics and other visitors to the site, he doesn't want just anyone exploring one of the dozens of places he believes are connected to the Lenni Lenape Indians, the original Pennsylvania residents.

The Indian group is hoping to bring the right kind of notice to these sites, part of an effort to record and catalog their location. On these sites are low-slung walls, which often surround significant natural rock outcroppings; cairns, or intentional piles of rocks and, in some cases, underground caverns whose interiors are lined with rocks.

The existence of these sites, which long has been threatened, has become even more perilous in recent years, convincing the local group to establish a working agreement with the University of Pennsylvania's Archaeology and Anthropology Museum this summer to document them.

The museum hopes to work with members of the Lenape to videotape the sites as tribal elders speak of their significance, says Tim Powell, a senior researcher with the museum who is working on the project.

These sites ''haven't been systematically documented. Every time one gets lost, it's not like there is any record of it. It is a very important issue,'' says Powell. The project ''speaks not just to the Lenape people, which is important, but also to the history of Pennsylvania. It is a historic dimension of the state that, sadly, people aren't aware of.''

The exact number of suspect Lenni Lenape sites is not known, says Werkheiser, 55, who has pursued the sites for nearly two decades. Because of his longtime interest in ancient stone architecture, people have contacted Werkheiser for years when they've discovered unusual stonework on their land, even before he became involved with the local Lenni Lenape group.

Working only on assumption, Werkheiser makes it clear he has no proof these areas are what he suspects: sacred sites for the Lenape.

''If archaeologists find a burial site, they can dig the site and discover bones and verify it,'' says Bob Redhawk Ruth, chief of the local Lenni Lenape, who estimates about 90 percent of the Pennsylvania sites have been destroyed or damaged by development.

''But these sites were passed down by oral tradition. We had no written language. Many of these sites weren't used for burials but by medicine societies to teach their newer members or to document solstice or equinox events,'' says Ruth, who also questions, ''How can you prove that kind of thing? One thing is clear: Rapid development of Pennsylvania's highlands, mainly for new, rural homes, poses a significant threat to these areas, he says.

Werkheiser, who runs a family shoe store in Nazareth, traces his genealogy to a Lenni Lenape woman who was a distant relative. As was the case with many Lenni Lenape Indians who remained in the area, she married a German farmer.

The Lenni Lenape consisted of three separate tribes and lived in a region, centered on the Delaware River, that stretched from present-day New York State to eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey and parts of northern Delaware. All three tribes spoke dialects of the Algonquian language.

tim.blangger@mcall.com

610-820-6722

#2 Aug-09-2007 09:39:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Rock-hard secrets

''If archaeologists find a burial site, they can dig the site and discover bones and verify it,'' says Bob Redhawk Ruth, chief of the local Lenni Lenape, who estimates about 90 percent of the Pennsylvania sites have been destroyed or damaged by development.

''But these sites were passed down by oral tradition. We had no written language. Many of these sites weren't used for burials but by medicine societies to teach their newer members or to document solstice or equinox events,'' says Ruth, who also questions, ''How can you prove that kind of thing? One thing is clear: Rapid development of Pennsylvania's highlands, mainly for new, rural homes, poses a significant threat to these areas, he says.

Werkheiser, who runs a family shoe store in Nazareth, traces his genealogy to a Lenni Lenape woman who was a distant relative. As was the case with many Lenni Lenape Indians who remained in the area, she married a German farmer.

roll

#3 Aug-10-2007 04:13:pm

NanticokePiney

Bart Cartwright the Hereditary chief of the Absentee Delaware in Anadarko lives  right near there and they are interveiwing some lying whiteman.mad

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#4 Aug-16-2007 08:57:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

The same Cartwright, as Standing Elk? hmm  Check you pm's.

#5 Mar-23-2008 08:35:pm

NanticokePiney

Note: Fred Werkheiser is a shoe salesman with no educational background to identify any archaeology site. hmm Also Ruth's estimate that 90% of archaelogoy sites in PA are destroyed is also wrong. Many are still under the numerous farms and woodlands in rural Pennsylvania. wink

#6 Mar-24-2008 10:17:am

lenape

Many of our "sites" are well preserved and in "Private ownership". many in trust with the Nature Conservancy which can not be developed....  These folks are the same ones who "bought into" Paul Cashmans "Pipe dreams" and drug induced "visions" of rock formations and "Lenape Medicine Wheels" in the Unami Vally  roll

#7 Mar-24-2008 05:04:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

Many of our "sites" are well preserved and in "Private ownership". many in trust with the Nature Conservancy which can not be developed....  These folks are the same ones who "bought into" Paul Cashmans "Pipe dreams" and drug induced "visions" of rock formations and "Lenape Medicine Wheels" in the Unami Vally  roll

lenape

I just gotta ask. So are you saying you are in no way involved with this group or others in Pa anymore?

Just curious is all.

#8 Mar-24-2008 05:15:pm

lenape

Never was "part of them", I know alot of these folks, knew of alot of them when they were white...  now they all have fancy "geneologys" and titles, I am just me...  don't follow anyone...

#9 Mar-24-2008 05:43:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

Never was "part of them", I know alot of these folks, knew of alot of them when they were white...  now they all have fancy "geneologys" and titles, I am just me...  don't follow anyone...

hmm

Well that's cryptic, but thanks for answering. Feel free to elaborate so I can get rid of the hmm smiley.

#10 Mar-24-2008 06:55:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

I just knew Ruth and the Taffe brothers when they were white. But that was in the early 80's. They just knew me a "the little blond kid" with Wayandaga and Bear Peterson. I was always uninterested about what was going on so no one paid any attention to me.

#11 Sep-29-2008 11:58:am

chiefptm

maybe they could bang the drum and howl like the wind!

that seems to be the new wave.

all the best chiefptm

#12 Sep-29-2008 12:56:pm

Tokipahkinao

HE! Folks,

Well, I just realized today that this is an older site that I must have missed, and  didn't read, when I was playing "catchup" as a new member.

The comment about "suspect" Lenape sites - you bet they're suspect if Bob Ruth is involved. BTW, Ruth's comment about Lenape "solstices and equinoxs" --- has he been reading Evan Pritchard ...?

Could these exagerations and mistakes have been the start of the U. of Penn's  fall into the "canyon of untruths" that has led to the current Disgrace - oops there I go again!  I mean "Display".

Just Asking,

Tokipahkinao

#13 Sep-29-2008 08:05:pm

Suckachsinheet

NanticokePiney wrote:

They just knew me a "the little blond kid" with Wayandaga and Bear Peterson. I was always uninterested about what was going on so no one paid any attention to me.

The "little blond kid"? You wouldn't be the legendary "Dusty" who is supposed to be heir-apparent to the EDN, would you? The "boy" the Taffes are alleged to be trying to keep away?  hmm

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#14 Sep-29-2008 08:22:pm

NanticokePiney

Suckachsinheet wrote:

NanticokePiney wrote:

They just knew me a "the little blond kid" with Wayandaga and Bear Peterson. I was always uninterested about what was going on so no one paid any attention to me.

The "little blond kid"? You wouldn't be the legendary "Dusty" who is supposed to be heir-apparent to the EDN, would you? The "boy" the Taffes are alleged to be trying to keep away?  hmm

yikes

#15 Sep-29-2008 08:43:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Isn't Dusty the one that's an Army Ranger, I think serving abroad? hmm

#16 Sep-29-2008 09:15:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

Isn't Dusty the one that's an Army Ranger, I think serving abroad? hmm

I heard his mother stashed him away from Wayandaga and the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape.  Somewhere in North Canada? or was it North England? hmm

#17 Jun-07-2015 11:17:am

NanticokePiney

*bump*

#18 Jun-08-2015 10:01:pm

Suckachsinheet

I 'member that...

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

Board footer