Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Mar-03-2015 02:28:pm

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

New Poster Researching Evans (KY) Kimball/ Edminster/ Prescott/Palmer

Hello Everyone,
I am reasserting a possible connection from one part of my family to another.  My great grandfather
was Marion Leonard Kimball of Etna Maine. His Mother was Dempsey Hepsabeth Kimball. His father was said to be Osceola Edminster.

Dempsey's Parents were Peter Gardner Elptuck Kimball of Maine and Mary Jane 
Evelyn 
Evans of Lewis KY.

Osceola was born ca 1869 and raised by Noah Webster Edminster and Frances Lucreta "Nancy" Prescott. B. 21 June 1831 I believe she was likely Osceola's biological Mother not sure about Noah.

Frances was said to be Native as was Osceola and so it goes. One source sites her mother as " Indian" She was said to be raised by Samuel Buckmore Prescott and Sopfronia or Seffrona Palmer b. abt 1803.

I have been at this mystery for some years now and believe its likely that perhaps Osceola's maternal clan was not really from Maine at all and quite possibly were related to these Evans in some way perhaps coming up out of PA or KY with them.

There is a Lovinia S. Moore living with the Edmisnters in 1900 not sure if there is tie in.

I did do some DNA testing. On my direct male line is suggests relation to the following surnames
Wilson, Crenshaw, Hanshaw, Bunnell, Cloud, Howell or Blackmon to name the most common.

Does this sound like anything that may fill in a missing link for anyone?

Best to you all and thanks for listening.
-Ray

#2 Mar-03-2015 05:21:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: New Poster Researching Evans (KY) Kimball/ Edminster/ Prescott/Palmer

Welcome Ray. smile

#3 Mar-03-2015 06:19:pm

NanticokePiney

Hello Ray! smile

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#4 Mar-03-2015 07:54:pm

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

Thank you both for the warm welcome glad to be here.
Ray:D

#5 Mar-03-2015 09:44:pm

sschkaak
Website

Welcome, Ray.

You've no doubt been through all the census records, etc., for these folks.  A quick search shows that Osceola and Frances are listed as "White" in the federal census indexes.  (I didn't check the actual records, but you probably have.)  Did your DNA show any American Indian ancestry?

#6 Mar-03-2015 11:23:pm

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

Thank you for commenting.   We Kimballs had always know we were of a Native Heritage through oral tradition passed down. The woman that Marion married was of mikmaq lines going way back so that is what was always told to us. Although I vaguely remember someone mentioning Blackfoot as well which i have since come to understand means different things to different people.  My grandfather William Leonard kimball had pretty strong native traits in most folk opinion which kept me wondering if ther was ancestry close to him that was also controbuting.  The poblem was he did not know his birth father.

After cutting my genealogy teeth a bit more I made contact with some living relations up in Maine and thats when we got the story about Osceola being Marions birth father. My first hint that there may have been an native component to the paternal side was in a published genealogy book called the Edminster family in America.  You can find readable versions on line. That book says of Frances something to the effect of "She was1/2 Indian, her mother being Indian"  It is true most census show these folks as white.  Based on the tidbit in the book through I kept looking.  The one I found to corroborate that there was something to it was a birth record for Vaughnell Lancy Kimball in which Osceola is listed as "1/2 Indian " Vaghnell was the son of Osceola and Hattie Kimball who happens to be Dempseys younger sister.

I believe these ancestors were hidding their heritage for some reason,   Regarding the DNA yes the markers are there.  We are like many folks though mixed from a dna standpoint.   Please let me know what i can add.  Thanks to you all!wink

#7 Mar-04-2015 12:47:am

sschkaak
Website

Okay.  Good luck with your research.

#8 Mar-04-2015 11:07:am

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

Thanks  Sschkaak,

I thought I would add a bit more about my Evans Lines.   Mary Jane Evans was born in Lewis or Greenup KY specifically area was called Crossing of Kinniconic. Her Father was Anthony Evans b. abt 1815 KY.  Her mother was Mary Jane McDowell who died and Anthony remarried to a Carver.

I believe Anthony's father was a James Evans born WV ca. 1791 in an area that later became Mason KY. James is found in 1850 census with Mary as his wife.  She was Mary Ann or "Poly" Unknown Born PA. She may have been a Riley as this name shows up in later generations as a middle name.  They lived next door to Anthony in 1850.  There have been others that suggest Mary was a Vaughn. I have not been able to document conclusively.

The Parentage of James Evans also is not conclusive he likely trace back to Richard Evans and Elizabeth Hall family in some way but not verified.

on the McDowell side surnames are McDowell, Shain ,Adams, Hart, Broughton, Chambers, Hardwick Ross, Rice Burris All seam to trace back to PA.

#9 Mar-05-2015 09:22:am

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

A bit more on DNA...

As I mentioned before about mixed DNA results I think what is probable given what was shown for my line is that there was likely a European Male progenitor that married into a American Indian family way back late 1600s. Many of the male line stories of people I match seam to start with a male who was some how known to be an "Indian Trader" in some capacity.

My direct Male line test showed possible surnames as;

Crenshaw/Hanshaw
Bunnell or variations
Cloud
Blood
Smith
Howell (Powell?)
Bray

I also did an autosomal type test and many of our matches are from family lines I know to be Mikmaq but their is a whole other trend that I see with names that I don't know in my paper genealogy so I tend to associate these with my direct male line which is the brick wall.

Many of these folks seam to report some American Indian Ancestry.  I do see Howell and (Powell) come up there but often see surnames like Downs, Bunch, Burns, Barnes, Taylor, Norris Williams and McWillaims, Sellers, Smith and Brown (this one is very prevalent as is Smith)

If anyone feels we connect and has DNA tested I am willing to discuss/compare in a private and confidential way via email.

Thanks again every one for giving me this venue to ask these questions and hope it helps many.

#10 Mar-05-2015 11:04:am

sschkaak
Website

What were your biogeographical ancestry results?  What percentage Native American did they indicate?

#11 Mar-05-2015 11:35:am

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

It was my Paternal Aunt, that did the autosomal and it was on the order of 10% give or take depending on the analyzer and sampling that was used. Her mother was Ukrainian by both parents.

My Yline is M-269
smile

#12 Mar-05-2015 12:59:pm

sschkaak
Website

That's a good percentage--well above statistical noise.  Which company did you use:  FTDNA, 23andMe or Ancestry?

#13 Mar-05-2015 02:03:pm

ctwheelhorse
Visitor

Hi Sschkaak,
I used FamilyTree DNA,   Initially with them it was lower maybe like 3 or 4% but as I got more involved and with the help of some folks that were more savvy then I ran through some of the other analyzers and visualizers at Gedmatch which gave a more complete picture usually showed it stronger. I guess I really don't know my true breakdown and it's likely to change as I know that sampling is a big part and they really don't have enough to give a full picture. I take that part of it with a grain of salt but I think the cousin matching features can be really helpful in terms of helping one confirm relationships and back up paper genealogy.   

I guess I have got what I've got a big family mystery and a possible line of heritage that I would like to explore or better understand whatever it is.
I hope mostly that someone her might see the names I mentioned in my paper genealogy and have is sound familiar.  Can't change who our ancestors were or were not but it's so interesting to try and understand them and thus better understand ourselves I think.

Board footer