You are not logged in.

Announcement

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Matrilineal Kinship System and Names

#1 Oct-31-2013 04:28:pm

Chevy

Matrilineal Kinship System and Names

The Wests were related to my Great Great Grandmother's half brothers. Their Mother was Mahalia West. My family says my Great Great Grandmother had a different Mother.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc … /dawes.txt

Also I ran across this:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t … 1042229702

Which is also about the Wests, and Wat (Watt?) and Ned Christie.

Ned Christie was Smith Watt Christie's son.

quote:
    Uncle said these children my full brothers

Wat Christie was saying that he and the Wests were from the same clan, & related through their Mothers. Matrilineal Kinship System: In a matrilineal system, people trace their descent through the women instead of the men. In Cherokee society, a person's only relatives were those on his/her mother's side. Relatives included a person's mother and the mother's mother, sisters, children of the sisters, and brothers of the person - but not the children of the brothers. Accordingly, the Cherokees did not consider a person to be related by blood to his/her father or to the father's mother, sisters and brothers.

I hoped that we could start a conversation about Matrilineal Kinship System, and persons' names, as regards the Delaware and Mohican. Although it doesn't have to be about only Delaware and Mohican, and about Matrilineal Kinship System. The reason being my Great Grandfather may have used his Mother's name, for whatever reason/s, and I know so little about names and naming. Thanks, y'all.

Last edited by Chevy (Oct-31-2013 04:29:pm)

#2 Nov-08-2013 12:53:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: Matrilineal Kinship System and Names

I don't think there is any evidence that European-type surnames were passed down from mothers to children among Lenape people, as a traditional practice.  I know several white people who use their mother's surname, for various reasons--usually, if the father had little or nothing to do with the children's upbringing.  Of course, the Indian clan and phratry names were passed along, from mother to child; but, I can't think of anyone who used those names as surnames.

#3 Nov-08-2013 01:04:pm

sschkaak
Website

P.S. - You do see surnames such as Wolf, Turtle and Turkey; but, these appear to be translations of the common names for these animals (tme, tulpe and chiknm), rather than the special phratry names (tkwsit, pkuwnku and ple).  What's more, these surnames are passed down, in the European manner, from father to child.

#4 Nov-08-2013 09:06:pm

Chevy

Thanks, sschkaak.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Matrilineal Kinship System and Names

Board footer