Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Breath of Life Institute/ Endangered languages.

#1 Jul-01-2013 03:52:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Breath of Life Institute/ Endangered languages.

#2 Jul-06-2013 05:32:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Breath of Life Institute/ Endangered languages.

Photos and full blog post at:  http://azurebreeze.wordpress.com/2013/0 … e-council/

Dear Pennsylvania Lenape,

I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the Breath of Life Archival Institute for Indigenous Languages where I got to go to Washington DC and search the archives of the Library of Congress and Smithsonian Institute for Lenape language. I would not have found this opportunity if it wasn’t for the email from the Lenape Pennsylvania Council that included information and the way to apply for Breath of Life Archival Institute for Indigenous Languages. I am even happier to report that Chief Robert Red Hawk Ruth of the Pennsylvania Lenape was my reference for my Breath of Life application which I know ensured me to be in the top 60 out of over 200 applications. I was blessed that Breath of Life paid for my transportation, my housing, and most of my food while I was doing my research thanks to a National Science Foundation grant. Without this funding I would not have been able to afford to do this valuable research.
I am happy to report I did find several Lenape sources in the National Museum of the American Indian Cultural Resource Center, the National Museum Natural History collections, and the National Anthropological Archives. One of the most precious experiences was listening to Lenape songs sung by Freddie Washington created by James Henri Howard in 1967 in the National Anthropological Archives in Suitland, Maryland. I listened to two reels and I felt like I was sitting next to a loving grandfather sharing with me the wisdom of the Lenape and hearing him sing me the songs including the Big House songs. They warmed my spirit and made me feel like he was encouraging me to continue further in my research of the Lenape Language. In the National Museum of the American Indian Cultural Resource Center Archives I found note cards with Lenape words on them in both Unami and Munsee. In the National Museum of the American Indian Cultural Resources and in the National Museum of Natural History collections in Suitland, Maryland I uncovered a very large quantity of Lenape cultural items including beadwork, peace pipe, wampum belt, clothes, baskets, and other items. I was overwhelmed by the amount of what they had on our people that it could easily take several more research trips to document it all.
I want to personally thank Chief Robert Red Hawk Ruth and the Lenape Pennsylvania Council for making this trip possible for me. Breath of Life was an experience of a lifetime!
Wanishi Anushiik Wneeweh,
Wenona Morning Star Gardner
Stockbridge-Munsee band of Mohican Nation

#3 Jul-07-2013 08:29:am

sschkaak
Website

Breathtaking!

#4 Jul-07-2013 11:15:am

sschkaak
Website

Look:  I honestly don't mean to be sarcastic about this.  It's always good to see someone find things they didn't know existed.  In truth, however, all these things she "found," are well-known to many Delaware Indians and others interested in Lenape history, culture and language.  What isn't clear, to me, is what she intends to "do" with what she's found.  Is it going to remain a private, personal "spiritual" experience, or is she going to attempt to understand what she's seen and heard, and share what she's learned with others, in some way?  After all, this is the ultimate purpose of the Breath of Life Institute and the Endangered Languages Project.  I guess we'll see.

#5 Jul-07-2013 03:26:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Sarcasm is something I can not avoid most of the time.  I had a long post typed up and hit backspace so many times that I lost count.

I think everyone here knows what my main issue with this is.

#6 Jul-07-2013 09:02:pm

sschkaak
Website

Honestly, I had some posts like that, myself, but decided to focus on what she did and found rather than who told her about this.  (I must be getting soft in my dotage.)

#7 Jul-07-2013 11:21:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I think we both are Mr. Skunk. hmm

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Breath of Life Institute/ Endangered languages.

Board footer