Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Apr-12-2013 07:45:pm

dharmaofatisha
Visitor

resources for learning Eastern dialect?

I am looking to learn specifically, the dialect of Tsa la gi spoken by the Eastern Nation, as that would be where my ancestors probably are connected to.
could you recommend any books or resources (preferably smaller family type publishing things)? I have been going through the Introduction to Cherokee by Gregg Howard and Sam Hider, I have super good feelings about this however they focus on Western dialect. I think the other publications they do, also are western.

there is also this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Eastern- … anguage+cd

however, it is really basic and I'm looking to take the next step. its great though.

#2 Apr-15-2013 03:17:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: resources for learning Eastern dialect?

Sadly, our Cherokee board moderator has just lost her battle with cancer; so, I don't know if there is anyone around here who can help with this, right now.  Most of the audio language material seems to be in the Western dialect, as you know.  Of course, while spoken predominantly in Oklahoma, the Western dialect is still spoken in the Snowbird community in North Carolina.  So, are you reasonably sure which dialect your ancestors spoke?  Maybe, they did speak that Western dialect.

Last edited by sschkaak (Apr-15-2013 07:49:pm)

#3 Apr-22-2013 02:09:pm

dharmaofatisha
Visitor

Re: resources for learning Eastern dialect?

sschkaak wrote:

Sadly, our Cherokee board moderator has just lost her battle with cancer; so, I don't know if there is anyone around here who can help with this, right now.  Most of the audio language material seems to be in the Western dialect, as you know.  Of course, while spoken predominantly in Oklahoma, the Western dialect is still spoken in the Snowbird community in North Carolina.  So, are you reasonably sure which dialect your ancestors spoke?  Maybe, they did speak that Western dialect.

Personally, I cannot say with any certainty, who my ancestors were with documentation yet.
The eastern dialect seems to be underused, in comparison to Western....I could be wrong. never been to Cherokee NC or thereabouts. Still learning
thank you/wado

Board footer