Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Apr-26-2011 07:35:am

Wulvzwerx
Visitor

Cherokee ancestry

Greetings folks,

I learned a few years ago that my Grandmother was half Cherokee from Kansas and moved up to Canada in the late 20's. There is a lot of silence in my family about this particular information and now that Grandma is passed on it looks like it will stay that way. I am interested in finding out whatever I can about the Cherokee from Kansas. I live in northern Canada and am surrounded by several native tribes here but have never considered my heritage as being very important-I was marginalized from the time I can remember and simply created my own "culture" and avoided trying to fit in anywhere. Now that I am almost 50 I thought it can't hurt to look around and see if perhaps I could find out a few things about this part of my heritage. Is there accessible knowledge about Cherokee genealogy from Kansas available on the web? Mind I have not looked this forum over yet so I will go do that too.

James

#2 Apr-26-2011 02:30:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: Cherokee ancestry

What was your grandmother's full name?  (Her maiden name, of course.)  Any other details you can give about her parents, where she lived in Kansas, when she was born, etc., would help.  I have a lot of Cherokee records, and would be glad to do a look-up.  Couldn't do a complete genealogical search, but might be able to point you in the right direction.

#3 Apr-26-2011 08:16:pm

Wulvzwerx
Visitor

Sschkaak, thank you!

My grandmothers name was Irene Mabel David, she was born July 28/1913, her mothers (maiden) name was Grace Baysinger, they lived in Emporia Kansas but I think she was born in Kansas City, there is also mention of Hartford Kansas in the notes I have. The David name was Welsh I think and it was her mom that carried the Cherokee blood. They moved to Canada in 1915. This is great, I haven't had much luck with the family, no one seems to want this connection exposed in any way and clammed up when ever I used to bring it up. Now anyone with that knowledge has passed on so its a shot in the dark to hold out a hope for any information. My thanks and gratitude in advance smile

Respectfully
James

sschkaak wrote:

What was your grandmother's full name?  (Her maiden name, of course.)  Any other details you can give about her parents, where she lived in Kansas, when she was born, etc., would help.  I have a lot of Cherokee records, and would be glad to do a look-up.  Couldn't do a complete genealogical search, but might be able to point you in the right direction.

#4 Apr-26-2011 10:22:pm

sschkaak
Website

Very good!  Give me a couple days to do some research.

#5 Apr-30-2011 06:11:pm

sschkaak
Website

James:

I checked all existing Cherokee rolls, from 1817 to 1924.  The surname, Baysinger, does not show up on any of them.  (I checked for various spellings of that name, as well.)  The surnames, David and Nichols (two of your ancestral surnames), do show up on some rolls; but, they do not appear to bear your ancestors' first names.  The European surnames taken by the Cherokee are, of course, many times more prevalent among non-Indians, as might be expected. 

I checked the U.S. Federal Censuses for your Baysinger, David, Nichols, Ruby and Ousley ancestors.  All were listed as "W" ("White"), in every census in which I found them.  I did not go further back than the 1870 census, since American Indians were not separately listed, as "Indian," prior to that census.  Sometimes, American Indians who had given up their tribal status and who had accepted American citizenship were not listed as "Indian" in the censuses (as we've had occasion to see, elsewhere on this forum). 

You might want to check the actual Cherokee enrollment records to see if any of the Cherokee with your ancestral surnames may have been related to your forbears.  To be honest, though--that's a real long shot.  The only other options you have (as I see it) include:  1. Either hiring a professional genealogical researcher to comb through all the possible documents relating to your ancestors, and file a report with you; or, to do this, yourself; and/or, 2.  Attempt to determine if you have any American Indian ancestry via DNA testing.  (This will not establish tribal ancestry--only the certainty or likelihood that you have some American Indian ancesty among your antecedents.)

Good luck!

P.S. - You did have a couple lines which traced back to Virginia and Tennessee, parts of which were in the old Cherokee homeland.  Hard to tell if this holds any significance.  Probably not--but, possibly.

Last edited by sschkaak (Apr-30-2011 06:22:pm)

#6 May-03-2011 09:57:pm

Wulvzwerx
Visitor

Sschkaak

Greatly appreciated! My thanks. I will keep searching. Perhaps the ol' dad will impart something before he passes on?

My best to you,

James

sschkaak wrote:

James:

I checked all existing Cherokee rolls, from 1817 to 1924.  The surname, Baysinger, does not show up on any of them.  (I checked for various spellings of that name, as well.)  The surnames, David and Nichols (two of your ancestral surnames), do show up on some rolls; but, they do not appear to bear your ancestors' first names.  The European surnames taken by the Cherokee are, of course, many times more prevalent among non-Indians, as might be expected. 

I checked the U.S. Federal Censuses for your Baysinger, David, Nichols, Ruby and Ousley ancestors.  All were listed as "W" ("White"), in every census in which I found them.  I did not go further back than the 1870 census, since American Indians were not separately listed, as "Indian," prior to that census.  Sometimes, American Indians who had given up their tribal status and who had accepted American citizenship were not listed as "Indian" in the censuses (as we've had occasion to see, elsewhere on this forum). 

You might want to check the actual Cherokee enrollment records to see if any of the Cherokee with your ancestral surnames may have been related to your forbears.  To be honest, though--that's a real long shot.  The only other options you have (as I see it) include:  1. Either hiring a professional genealogical researcher to comb through all the possible documents relating to your ancestors, and file a report with you; or, to do this, yourself; and/or, 2.  Attempt to determine if you have any American Indian ancestry via DNA testing.  (This will not establish tribal ancestry--only the certainty or likelihood that you have some American Indian ancesty among your antecedents.)

Good luck!

P.S. - You did have a couple lines which traced back to Virginia and Tennessee, parts of which were in the old Cherokee homeland.  Hard to tell if this holds any significance.  Probably not--but, possibly.

#7 May-04-2011 01:54:am

Chevy

Sometimes, American Indians who had given up their tribal status and who had accepted American citizenship were not listed as "Indian" in the censuses (as we've had occasion to see, elsewhere on this forum).

This is true. My ex's Grandmother,  was I think half, and her Mother a FB. Her Mother married a Presbyterian preacher, so her name changed. Then her daughter, my ex's Grandmother married a non, and none of them were listed on census as Indian. My ex's  Grandparents and all their kids left Indian Terrority and came down into Texas.

edited 1 x spelling

Last edited by Chevy (May-04-2011 01:56:am)

#8 May-04-2011 01:59:am

Chevy

The one thing that comes to my mind about Kansas, is during the Civil War, a lot of Indians left Indian Terrority and took refuge in Kansas. I wouldn't have a clue how many stayed there, or if any did, but it's reasonable to me, that some may have stayed in Kansas after the Civil War.

Board footer