Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Possible Bird Stone or Native American Artifact?

#1 Dec-27-2010 02:17:pm

ohioanhistorybuff
Visitor

Possible Bird Stone or Native American Artifact?

My wife and I were on vacation this past fall in SE Ohio and visited the "Mohican State Park" near Loudonville, Ohio. While we there I found an interesting stone that is smooth and soft and darkish gray/black in color. It is in the shape of an "L"  and definitely is NOT naturally formed. It is unquestionably contrived. I talked to a professor at my university (who is big into Native American culture and artifacts) and she said that it looks like "white man" and not Native American because of its squarish shape, but was puzzled since most white people didn't make most items in or from stone. Additionally, I took it to a local museum and she said that it may be a ceremonial "bird stone." I was wondering if anyone on this site could tell me possibly what it is? If you want to look at it then email me at my personal email address: smithfortys@gmail.com and I will send you a picture of it to view.

With Kind Regards,
Gene S.
Somewhere in Ohio

#2 Dec-27-2010 02:30:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Possible Bird Stone or Native American Artifact?

ohioanhistorybuff wrote:

My wife and I were on vacation this past fall in SE Ohio and visited the "Mohican State Park" near Loudonville, Ohio. While we there I found an interesting stone that is smooth and soft and darkish gray/black in color. It is in the shape of an "L"  and definitely is NOT naturally formed. It is unquestionably contrived. I talked to a professor at my university (who is big into Native American culture and artifacts) and she said that it looks like "white man" and not Native American because of its squarish shape, but was puzzled since most white people didn't make most items in or from stone. Additionally, I took it to a local museum and she said that it may be a ceremonial "bird stone." I was wondering if anyone on this site could tell me possibly what it is? If you want to look at it then email me at my personal email address: smithfortys@gmail.com and I will send you a picture of it to view.

With Kind Regards,
Gene S.
Somewhere in Ohio

Hello and Welcome, Gene. You can post a picture here if you'd like.

• Index
  •  » History
  •  » Possible Bird Stone or Native American Artifact?

Board footer