bls926
Administrator

Native American Heritage Month

#2 Nov-01-2010 05:36:pm

bls926
Administrator

Re: Native American Heritage Month

About Native American Heritage Month

Information courtesy of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior

What started at the turn of the century as an effort to gain a day of recognition for the significant contributions the first Americans made to the establishment and growth of the U.S., has resulted in a whole month being designated for that purpose.

One of the very proponents of an American Indian Day was Dr. Arthur C. Parker, a Seneca Indian, who was the director of the Museum of Arts and Science in Rochester, N.Y. He persuaded the Boy Scouts of America to set aside a day for the "First Americans" and for three years they adopted such a day. In 1915, the annual Congress of the American Indian Association meeting in Lawrence, Kans., formally approved a plan concerning American Indian Day. It directed its president, Rev. Sherman Coolidge, an Arapahoe, to call upon the country to observe such a day. Coolidge issued a proclamation on Sept. 28, 1915, which declared the second Saturday of each May as an American Indian Day and contained the first formal appeal for recognition of Indians as citizens.

The year before this proclamation was issued, Red Fox James, a Blackfoot Indian, rode horseback from state to state seeking approval for a day to honor Indians. On December 14, 1915, he presented the endorsements of 24 state governments at the White House. There is no record, however, of such a national day being proclaimed.

The first American Indian Day in a state was declared on the second Saturday in May 1916 by the governor of New York. Several states celebrate the fourth Friday in September. In Illinois, for example, legislators enacted such a day in 1919. Presently, several states have designated Columbus Day as Native American Day, but it continues to be a day we observe without any recognition as a national legal holiday.

In 1990 President George H. W. Bush approved a joint resolution designating November 1990 "National American Indian Heritage Month." Similar proclamations, under variants on the name (including "Native American Heritage Month" and "National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month") have been issued each year since 1994.

About this Site
This Web portal is a collaborative project of the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

http://nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov/about/

#3 Nov-01-2010 09:04:pm

lenape

Ya know, this whole stinking "Native American Heritage Month" non-sense is really something, with hundreds of broken treaties, crime rates higher on the reservations that most major cities combined, drug abuse, gang violence, domestic violence, rape, and alcoholism at all time highs for our people, uranium contamination continues on many of the reservations in the West, taxation on Native trading on the reservations in the East, against treaty rights, and this government has the nerve to give us a "Native American Heritage Month", so that all the wanna-be groups can go into the schools and promote their garbage and lies, and all the "hang 'round the fort Indians", "Wally Wampums", and "rent-a-Indians" have a 'reason' to cash in.

And to think I was asked to come into the local elementary school to speak about "Thanksgiving", LOL, those poor little kids would be afraid of turkeys and hate Pilgrims by the time I was done, yes I passed on this talk!

#4 Nov-01-2010 09:15:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lol  You'll have to talk to the Jessman about his stand against Thanksgiving in elementary school.  lol

#5 Nov-01-2010 09:40:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

lol  You'll have to talk to the Jessman about his stand against Thanksgiving in elementary school.  lol

makes me proud already!! big_smile

#6 Nov-03-2010 07:20:pm

Tokipahkinao

HE! Gang,

I remember years ago . . . .  that in NJ and/or PA  there WAS  a Native American Day on the last Friday of Sept. I don't remember how "official" it was. But I do remember  that  I was teaching Aerospace for 11th and 12th grade students in a High School in eastern PA.

On the Sept. Friday of the 1st year   of this 'celebration"  I wore my pre-contact Lenape buckskin wrap skirt, legging, and top to school to teach in. Of course there wasn't much teaching of Aerospace that day, but they got a good dose of Lenape history.  I can't believe that the principal didn't stop me!!

The next year, I wore my modern Pow-Wow Delaware regalia and gave the same "lesson" to that year's  Aerospace classes.

I don't think there was a third annual comemoration of N.A. DAY, but if there had been - I'd have  worn my F & I  ERA Delaware regalia.

Thanks for the memories!,

Tokipahkinao

PS: I also carried my lunch in a STAR TREK lunch box - which never was taken "by mistake" from the
        teacher's refrigerator.  LOL

MEBF

Board footer