Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.


#1 Apr-30-2009 12:55:pm

Registered: Aug-01-2007
Posts: 1577

Cherokee outlaws

I like history about Cherokee outlaws, in the Nations. (& other outlaws)


I'm not related to any, but I wonder if the "Taylor" and "Miller" mentioned might be Delaware? No need to know, just curious.  Also a Bill Rattlingourd was friends with one George Newcomb from around Nowata. They were both outlaws.

by Jin Etter from Frontier Times Magazine Oct-Nov 1972

"When gunfights happened, they were generally over pretty quick-and generally it was after somebody got killed" Indian Marshal Sequoyah Houston wore his black hat with the wide flat brim and a white shirt under a dark dress coat on the last day his son saw him alive---that warm Sunday on June 17, 1894 when he rode out after the men later known as Cherokee Bill and Cook Gang.  When the posse gathered in front of the Cherokee Nation Capitol in Tahlequah, Indian Territory, Houston sat somber and erect on his white horse, and told his wife goodbye. He would come through the wood along Fourteen Mile Creek and be home late that night, he said.  But he didn't. The next morning standing outside their log house in a clearing of timber with his mother, seven-year-old Mack Houston watched his uncle approach in a buggy and sensed what news he was bringing: "Sequoyah got killed!" Those were his first words," remembers Mack Houston, today eighty-four years old and a resident of Tahlequah, the Cherokee County seat of Oklahoma. "My mother just went to pieces. She thought my father was everything." 
Sequoyah Houston, a full blood Cherokee, was a tall handsome man with direct eyes and high cheekbones who loved the customs and simple like of his people. His lawman manner, good English, and full un-Indian mustache, however, gave him the personality of a white man also.
Though a competent officer and a good shot with rifle and pistol through constant practice, during his services of about five years he
had never killed anyone. Now Houston was dead at age thirty-two.
His wife, a stern but loving mother of Irish and Dutch ancestry, stood weeping near the porch, young Mach beside her. His smaller
brothers- Jack, four; Alex, three; and George, only three months---were inside the house. The words of his mother's brother,
Julian Wyrick, rang in Mack's ears like a rifle shot in the crisp morning air. Houston had been killed in a gun fight at the Halfway House, a
travelers' lodging place halfway between Tahlequah and Wagoner. It was located on Fourteen Mile Creek, the latter so named because it
crossed the trail fourteen miles from Tahlequah.  When the posse men rode out of town they knew only that they were after two wanted outlaws---one for a shooting and the other on a larceny charge---who reportedly were at Halfway House in connection with a government payment of $6,640,000 being made to the Cherokees. There, about three hours later, occurred the gunfight in which one of the renegades---the one who shot down Houston gained his notorious alias of Cherokee Bill, probably the most bloody murderer of the Indian country. And it was soon afterward that he and his partners, who included brothers Bill and Jim Cook, came known throughout much of the Indian Nations as the Cook Gang.  The Posse consisted of ten riders most of them full blooded  or 1/2 Cherokee ----(Sequoyah) Houston, Ellis Rattling Gourd, Bill Bracket, Bill McKee, Ishem Grease, George Parris, Bob Woodall, ___son Hicks and brothers E. C. "Zeke" and Dick Crittenden, the latter two well known gunfighters.  As his son remembers from the immediate accounts, and those repeated to him in later discussions throughout the years, Houston and the others left their horses in the trees after wading the clear shallow creek about four in the afternoon. Winchesters and six guns drawn, they could see the Halfway House. It was the first shot---the unexpected crack of a Winchester---his son says, that killed Houston.  Crawford Goldsby was outside the building, either, somehow forewarned or otherwise on the alert for lawmen. Goldsby sent a bullet into the first full target topping the ridge.  Soon a blazing fight was in progress. Winchester and pistol blasts echoed through the blackjack and cottonwood timber. Lead slugs whined off rocks; others thudded into trees and the Halfway House. The posse had encountered more than two common criminals, fighting them were at least three outlaws---Goldsby and the Cook brothers---believed accompanied by Jess Cochran and Jim French. As some of the posse carried Houston, either dead or rapidly dying, down the rough hill, the others stayed on the ridge firing steadily at the outlaws. One of the latter, Jim Cook, was wounded several times---at least eight, said a newspaper report four days later. One
injury was sustained while airming from a corner of the building; Dick Crittenden shot the gun from his hand. But the attack on the gang was futile. Either the outlaws were too well fortified or they managed to get to their horses and escape through the woods.
Published reports vary. It is said the last of the posse to quite firing were the Crittendens, who at dusk returned to their horses and left.
Houston, meanwhile had been carried a distance of about a mile to a store operated by Zack Taylor, where his body was laid on the counter
to await a hack from Tahlequah.  Except for the wounded Cook, stalked and captured like an injured animal two days later, the outlaws fled---probably back into the Creek and Seminole Nations. Goldsby and the Cooks had been in hiding there when they heard of the government money to be distributed in payment for a portion of land known as the Cherokee Strip. The disbursement of funds at Tahlequah had apparently ended on June 16. [Some accounts incorrectly give the date as July. ]Goldsby and the Cooks, who were part Cherokee, had slipped into the Cherokee Nation and, according to reports, had induced the operator of the Halfway House, Effie Crittenden, estranged wife of Dick Crittenden, to go to Tahlequah and draw their money for them---$265.70 each. Other accounts say the outlaws were not there to draw their money but to rob a stagecoach hauling it from either Fort Gibson or Wagoner, to the Cherokee Capitol. A slightly different version reports that they already had received their shares from the Tahlequah payment and were waiting to hold up a party of tribal guards taking the rest of the federal money to Wagoner, where it would be expressed to Vinita. Jim Cook's story, as quoted by a news reporter after the capture, is
still another version.  Whatever their purpose, a murder had resulted and the bloody career of Cherokee Bill was spurred on its violent way. An employee of the Halfway House, according to a popular legend, when asked the day after the shooting if one of the outlaws was Crawford Goldsby, replied "No, it was Cherokee Bill." Goldsby, at only eighteen years of age, had shot his first man after an argument at a dance at Fort Gibson. He had left his victim for dead, but it is believed the man recovered from the pistol blast. It was for this crime he was wanted when he was lodged at the Halfway House. Following the death of Sequoyah Houston, Bill had a spree of about two years robbing trains, express offices, post offices and stores, and wantonly killing anyone in his way. He was finally captured and sentenced by Judge Parker of Fort Smith, Arkansas, for the killing of Earnest Melton, a bystander Bill shot while robbing a store at Lenapah in the Cherokee nation. This crime was committed less than five months after the Halfway House shooting---and Cherokee Bill was hanged on March 17, 1896, at the age of twenty.  The Halfway House gunfight was reported in the June 21, 1894, issue of the Muskogee Phoenix on an inside page under a small, one-column headline: "A DEADLY FIGHT Between the Cook boys and the Cherokee Guards---A Guard killed and Jim Cook severely shot."
Jim Cook had been captured two days later, the newspaper stated, in a pasture near Fort Gibson when two of the outlaws hiding near the
Arkansas River were forced to ride off and leave their companion hidden in the weeds. "A dozen guns were dropped on him at once." When
the posse's gunfire frove the gang from the Halfway House to their horses, young Cook wounded, had been taken alson riding double behind
his older brother. The story described his wounds as "two in the breast, one in the hand and arm, two in the thigh, two in the groin and one in the knee, besides several othe wounds." The reporter described Cook as eighteen years old and "a mere stripling of a boy" who "weighs about 125 pounds and appears like a country youth who has been some of the world and has done more cowboy service than farm work.... He bears his wounds and his capture wit historic indiffernce."  Cook was quoted by the paper as saying he and the others had not planned a robbery, but only "had been over to Tahlequah to draw our head right money." The Cherokee guards, he said, had attacked them
without cause.  The news story said that Cook was jailed at Muskogee and was wanted in the Fort Smith and Cherokee courts "on numerous grave charges, ranging from robbery to killing the Cherokee guard. He will probably be turned over to the Fort Smith court as soon as this court gets through with him. If there is anything left of him he will probably be handed over the the Cherokees." [As the authorities didn't know who killed Houston, they undoubtedly would have named any member of the gang in the murder change.]  Jim Cook later escaped jail and was finally shot to death for trespassing on another man's property. His brother Bill was later captured and tried and given a life sentence in prison, where he died of tuberculosis. Others involved in the Halfway House shoot-out were to meet with more violence.  During the winter following the gunfight, Jess Cochran and Jim French were killed in a shooting at Catoosa, a rough town near modern-day Tulsa. It was in January 1895, said Mack Houston, the date of the "black snow," a phenomenon caused by some unusual combination of atmosphere and weather.  Two on the side of the law at the Halfway House battle---the Crittenden brothers---were killed a little over a year later at nearby
Wagoner by Ed Reed, son of Bell Starr. Though reports of the incident vary, a common belief is that the Crittendens got in a shooting when
they had had too much to drink and Reed gunned them down on the street. Zeke and Dick Crittenden are now buried under one headstone
in a small cemetery near Hulbert---and only a few hundred yards from the site of the Halfway House. Zack Taylor, in whose store building Sequoyah Houston's body had awaited transportation home, was killed about a year later by Mose Miller and Bill Nails, two outlaws who had ridden through the hills from the town of Braggs to rob his store. He resisted, and was promptly shot down.  Stories on the Halfway House incident have differed concerning both the number of outlaws and number of posse men. Some accounts state only the Cook brothers and Cherokee Bill were battling the officers, and that the posse numbered only seven.  Jim Cook had told the Phoenix reporter, "There were two besides myself. I will not state their names." But he said another man at the house, who was not of their group, Cook said the house was
'surrounded by about fifteen Cherokee guards."  The newspaper at earlier points in the story stated that lawman shot one man whose name was not given before they searched the pasture where the three were hiding, and that "there were about a dozen of the guards as they approached the house and the fight began." The first statement referred to the officers' hunt near the Arkansas River where young Cook was captured. The second was describing the Halfway House incident. Mack Houston says the names of the posse men were told him by its last
surviving member, Bill McKee, who died about eight years ago. [1964] When Sequoyah Houston was shot, his son says, McKee was standing
behind him. Mack Houston says he is also sure that Jess Cochran and Jim French were with the Cooks and Cherokee Bill in the Halfway House.  One early account agrees with Mack Houston as to the number and names of the posse men. But published reports as to the number in the Halfway House are vague.  History has also been confused by the last name of one of the posse men---Rattling Gourd. One account indicates it was the name of a place where the posse formed. It was not a location, however, but a well-known tribal name in the Cherokee Nation. The family is still represented in large numbers in modern Cherokee County by the Gourds [as with many Indian names, the first part has been dropped].  As a lawman, Sequoyah Houston spent much of his time tracking down horse thieves---generally white men who drove the animals from the open-range Cherokee Nation into Osage country to sell to the Indians there. A quick and accurate shot, he practiced regularly by firing into a huge maple tree on the far bank of the creek from his house.  He molded and reloaded his own .44-caliber bullets for both his pistol and Winchester. Agood horseman, he helped heed his family by hunting deer and wild turkey from his white horse---the favorite
animal he always rode during the years his son knew him. His son also remembers him as a striking figure with wide black hat, his
six-shooter holstered on a wide belt with bullets completely around, and boots with high heels and high tops.  Houston liked the Cherokee social life of getting together with neighbors for house-raising----community efforts to build one another's homes; rail maulings----another cooperative activity of producing rails for fences; and parties at his home when Houston himself entertained by playing the fiddle. No alcoholic drinks were served at the Houston home get-to gethers---only the favorite Indian beverage of canutche, made from hickory nuts. It was at one of these social affairs that Houston had his nearest escape from death. In what was called an accident---but suspected otherwise---a Winchester shot during one of the cabin raisings sent a ball of lead through Houston's coat, barely missing his body. The slug hit and killed a neighbor, Taylor Sixkiller.  "Those were rough times then---there was almost no civilization here at all," says Mack Houston. "When gunfights happened, they were generally over pretty quick---and generally it was after some body got killed. And everybody carried some kind of artillery."  He remembers that on Tahlequah's main street which was faced by the Cherokee Capitol---Muskogee Avenue---many homes had wood shutters on the windows so they could be closed at night to hide the light from outside eyes. Often pistol toting drunken Indians and cowboys would get "run out of town," he says, "and they'd get on their horses and go riding up this street and when they'd see a light they'd take at shot at it. There were plenty of roughnecks then, and I don't mean maybe. Everybody carried some kind of firearm and they were quick to use those old thumb-busters. And when a young man was feeling good he liked to warm it up a little."  Houston also remembers well his father's burial, in the small Blue Springs cemetery only half a mile from the family's home. "The day of the funeral seemed like the hottest day of the year."  It was at the same cemetery where, about a year before his death, Sequoyah Houston told his family of meeting a ghost. He was walking by the cemetery one night to the home of sick neighbors who had asked him for help. Suddenly he saw a man walking ahead of him. Thinking it was the neighbor, Houston hastened his pace to catch up. But when he got near, the man vanished. His family interpreted it as "some kind of warning." Mack Houston's place of business in Tahlequah is on Muskogee Ave, about six blocks north of the old Cherokee Capitol which was transformed into and still serves as the county courthouse. Acting as bailiff in the same court-house is a distant cousin of posse member Ellis Rattling Gourd---Allen Gourd. Sequoyah Houston is buried next to his father, Clostoma Houston, in the little cemetery now almost forgotten by the modern would. Under Sequoyah's name on the headstone is the date of death---June 17, 1894---and his mistaken age---"aged about 40 years," caused by hasty arrangements by a relative who estimated him eight years too old. Both graves are visited regularly by Sequoyah's son whose own lifetime has spanned the most violent era of Oklahoma's history.



#2 Apr-30-2009 12:56:pm

Registered: Aug-01-2007
Posts: 1577

Re: Cherokee outlaws

Oh, there are some neat photos on the link.




#3 May-25-2009 03:52:pm

Registered: Aug-01-2007
Posts: 1577

Re: Cherokee outlaws

More Cherokee Outlaws

(and at least one Delaware one smile )

http://www.archive.org/details/lawwesto … i008795mbp

Law West Of Fort Smith A History Of Frontier Justice In The Indian Territory 1834-1896
by Glenn Shirley

online book, can be downloaded in pdf or text

Glenn D. Shirley:

http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/Res … irley.html


Born on a farm northeast of Stillwater in Payne County, Oklahoma on December 9, 1916, Glenn Dean Shirley was the son of Ellis Dean and Effie Teresa (Knorr) Shirley. He was one of five children that included Raymond, Pearl, Hazel Ann and Francis Lee who was the youngest having been born on July 23, 1922. While attending Eureka grade school, Shirley at the age of 14 wrote and published his first short story entitled, "The Man From Arizona." His English teacher Florence French had it published in Payne County's Little Authors and Artists Magazine in 1930. Shirley graduated from high school in 1935 and worked for a year at the Stillwater Public Library.
On March 16, 1936 the 20-year old Shirley began his career with the Stillwater Police Department answering the telephone. Soon, as a desk sergeant, he began and managed an identification bureau dealing with the methods of fingerprint identification and the Bertillon method that combined detailed measurement and classification of unique personal features of suspects. To enhance his knowledge in this area, Shirley took an 18-month correspondence course from the Institute of Applied Science (IAS) School of Criminology in Chicago and received a diploma on May 28, 1937. So dedicated to this relatively new science, Shirley is reported to have cut a hunk out of his finger to determine how long it would take the fingerprints to return. Criminals attempted to erase their fingerprints and Shirley wanted to ascertain the return rate of the lines. On December 9, 1937 Shirley was formally appointed as a police officer.

In February 1938 Shirley enrolled in the correspondence course in American Law and Procedure offered by the La Salle Extension University and earned his bachelor of laws degree on November 5, 1940. On December 26, 1941 Shirley completed an exhaustive course on scientific crime detection through the IAS.
He received a diploma for professional photography from the New York Institute of Photography on January 2, 1943.

About this time Shirley was submitting articles to some 30 true-crime/detective pulp magazines such as Master Detective and Front Page Detective and sold his first article. One writer characterized him as a "young cop who wrote about crooks while he was off-duty from catching crooks." One of his earliest articles that appeared in the April 1942 issue of Daring Detective was titled, "Easter Eve Murder and the Hidden Clue." This was followed by "Crimson Showdown of the Kidnap Gunners." Coincidentally, he was writing western fiction and an active member of the Stillwater Writers' Club. By the end of 1951, he had written an estimated 300 stories. He wrote his last detective story in 1959.

^Back to top

Inducted into the Army on July 28, 1943, Shirley served in the East Africa and Middle East theaters between 1943 and 1946. For a time he served in Iran from where he wrote to his mother, "I'm over here in a stretch of God-forsaken country called Iran...They say civilization began around here somewhere, but I don't know where it has gone." Shirley went on to write a book about his experiences there entitled, So This Is Persia.

Upon his discharge from the Army on February 6, 1946, Shirley returned to Stillwater, resumed his peace officer duties in May, and, in due course, married Carrie Mabel Jacob. In the spring of 1948 Shirley was employed by Oklahoma State University (nee Oklahoma A & M College) as an instructional material specialist in the Oklahoma Peace Officers' Institute. Moreover, he lectured on subjects in police science, practice and procedure in schools throughout the state between 1946 and 1949.

On May 2, 1949 he was appointed Captain of the Stillwater Police Department. Adding to his police bona fides, Shirley graduated from the International Criminologist School in Seattle, Washington on July 13, 1948 and the Delehanty Institute in New York on November 25, 1949. On October 13, 1950 he received a diploma from the Oklahoma Institute of Technology at OSU in the basic peace officers' training course covering 100 hours of instruction.

About this time, Glenn and Carrie were creating a family with the arrivals of son and daughter, Kenneth Ellis and Glenda Lea. On his own, however, Glenn began creating his first book, Toughest of Them All, a work of mystery and detective fiction published in 1953. The book is a collection of true-crime "Old West" stories about tough guys, both good and bad, including Pistol Pete, Temple Houston and, the "toughest of them all," Cherokee Bill. Through his writing, Shirley had combined his love of the West with his abiding interests in law and criminology.

Shirley, the western historian, emerged with the 1955 publication of Six-Gun and Silver Star, a history of law enforcement, its marshals and other law enforcers in Oklahoma and Indian Territories from the first opening of Indian Country for white settlement in 1889 to statehood in 1907. But it was his book, Law West of Fort Smith: A History of Frontier Justice in the Indian Territory, 1834-1896, that truly established Glenn Shirley as an author, historian and an authority on frontier justice in the United States. This history with a focus on the "hanging judge" Isaac Charles Parker, who was appointed judge of the United States District Court for Western Arkansas in 1875 and served until his death in Fort Smith in 1896, is currently in its 11th printing. He later commented that his legal studies provided him with the best general education. "Studying law taught me mainly where and how to find the law, how to do research and find the facts." Movie makers and fiction writers often distort the true story and disregard facts. To insure accuracy in his writing, Shirley searched court records, government documents, and contemporary newspapers.

At the Stillwater Police Department Shirley had risen through the ranks, but in a March 20, 1957 letter, he wished to retire from the department effective April 15, 1957, due, according to this letter, "to my writing obligations and commitments and other personal matters." On April 15 Shirley became a deputy sheriff and identification officer in the Payne County Sheriff's Office. Coincidentally, he worked on his next two books, Pawnee Bill: A Biography of Gordon W. Lillie and Buckskin and Spurs: A Gallery of Frontier Rogues and Heroes, both published in 1958. Shirley was instrumental in persuading the Oklahoma state tourism department and the Senate appropriations committee to purchase the Pawnee Bill Ranch and its contents.

^Back to top

With the election of a new county sheriff, Charlie Fowler, Shirley left the Payne County Sheriff's office on January 6, 1959. Shirley became Assistant Chief of Security at Oklahoma State University, a position he held until 1969. Besides receiving the Oklahoma Literary Endeavor Award in 1960, he wrote six books during this time including Outlaw Queen: The Fantastic True Story of Belle Starr (1960), Heck Thomas, Frontier Marshal: The Story of a Real Gunfighter (1962), Born to Kill (1963), Henry Starr: Last of the Real Badmen (1965), True Tales of Oklahoma (1967, not published) and Buckskin Joe: The Unique and Vivid Memoirs of Edward Jonathan Hoyt, Hunter-Trapper, Scout, Soldier, Showman, Frontiersman and Friend of the Indians, 1840-1918 (1966). In addition to these books he wrote numerous articles and short stories for several periodicals.

Shirley was asked how he found the time to research and write and work full time. He replied, "You spend your time on what you want to spend it on." While admittedly a simplistic and cogent statement, Shirley's disciplined, systematic, and obsessively organized approach to research and writing was the key to his prolific literary production. This approach is reflected by his thorough record keeping, the detailed file folder label information, the comprehensive contents of those folders, and the sheer volume of files, more than 180 cubic feet.

Between 1969 and 1979 Shirley was employed by the Oklahoma State University Press as a publications specialist and assistant director. In his November 1, 1979 resignation letter, he wrote, "Presently I am contracted and otherwise committed for four additional book projects to be completed within the next two years, and it is necessary that I devote full time to my writing career." During that decade, however, he published four books including Shotgun for Hire: The Story of "Deacon" Jim Miller, Killer of Pat Garrett (1970), The Life of Texas Jack: Eight Years a Criminal - 41 Years Trusting in God (1973), Red Yesterdays (1977), and West of Hell's Fringe: Crime, Criminals and the Federal Peace Officer in Oklahoma Territory, 1889-1907 (1978).

Soon he published two more books Temple Houston, Lawyer with a Gun (1980) and Belle Starr and Her Times: The Literature, the Facts, and the Legends (1982). In 1981 he was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame. He served between 1984 and 1986 as an historical consultant and member of the editorial board for Western Publications, Inc., publisher of True West, Old West, and Frontier Times. Before receiving the U.S. Marshals Service America's Star Award in recognition of his career in law enforcement and contributions to the law enforcement profession in 1989, Shirley wrote Guardian of the Law: The Life and Times of William Matthew Tilghman, 1854-1924 (1988), Purple Sage: The Exploits, Adventures, and Writings of Patrick Sylvester McGeeney (1989) and Hello, Sucker! The Story of Texas Guinan (1989). In 1988 Shirley sold his ranch near Perkins and moved back to Stillwater. By then he had a separate house for his office and collections.

^Back to top

During the decade of the 1990s, Shirley received the University of Oklahoma's Professional Writing Award in 1990 and was inducted into the Oklahoma Professional Writers Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Oklahoma Historians Hall of Fame in 1999. He also published seven books including Gunfight at Ingalls: Death of an Outlaw Town (1990), They Outrobbed Them All: The Rise and Fall of the Vicious Martins (1992), Marauders of the Indian Nations: The Bill Cook Gang and Cherokee Bill (1994), The Fighting Marlows: Men who Wouldn't be Lynched (1994), Thirteen Days of Terror: The Rufus Buck Gang in Indian Territory (1996), The Fourth Guardsman: James Franklin "Bud" Ledbetter, 1852-1937 (1997), and Desperado From Cowboy Flat: The Saga of Zip Wyatt (1998).

While Shirley published his final two books, The Mosser Massacre: The Southwest's Greatest Manhunt (2001) and The She-Devil of LaPorte and Other Stories Seldom Remembered - Or Forgotten (2002), he received two awards in 2001. From the National Association for Outlaw and Lawman History, Inc., he received the Literary Award for Achievement. Additionally, he was presented the Lifetime Achievement Award for Outstanding Contributions to Outlaw-Lawman History from the Western Outlaw-Lawman History Association. This association also instituted the "Glenn Shirley Award" that is given annually to an individual who, over a 25-year period or more, has contributed significantly to the field of research and documentation of outlaw-lawman history.

About the time Glenn Shirley began writing books, he began collecting. Shirley's appetite for collecting was spotlighted as early as July 1965. In a newspaper article by Al Sylvester titled "Writing himself into a Corner," Sylvester wrote, "In his spare time, Glenn Shirley is a writer of books and a builder of buildings. Only problem is that with every third book published under his byline, it takes another built-on room just to hold the research material he gathers." With fifty years of writing and collecting and a brimming-to-capacity 4-bedroom house converted into a repository and office, Shirley's uncompromising passion for the West is palpable.

In 1991 his granddaughter, Denise Shirley, in a school essay described his "reference materials" in the following way. "His library includes a lifetime worth of 19th and 20th century paperback novels, prairie artifacts, movie posters, photographs, and books. The most impressive features are Grandpa's files. His filing system organizes information and material for future books. People call from all over the country to ask him questions about western history."

On February 6, 2002 Glenn and Carrie Shirley attended the unveiling of the portraits of Bill Tilghman and Pistol Pete Eaton painted by Harold Holden in the state Senate chamber in Oklahoma City. This was to be Shirley's last public appearance for on February 27 he died at the age of 85. His son, Ken, wrote, "My dad focused on his dream and lived his life with his own style. He wanted to fulfill his dreams through the past, and he is very fortunate to have been able to do what he loved most. He was a real nice and gentle man who had a true value and respect for history, and he wanted to immortalize those people who helped shape the West." In preserving and providing access to this western Americana collection with its pleasing plethora of popular western imagery, the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum is unabashedly complicit with this sentiment.

^Back to top

Carla Chlouber, "An Oklahombres Profile: Glenn Shirley, Peace Officer and Western Historian,"
Oklahombres V. VI, no.5 (Summer 1995), pp. 15-18.

"Shirley Guest Speaker of Writers Group," Cushing Daily Citizen, Friday, May 4, 1973

Ann Defrange, "Historian Lets ‘Just the Facts' Enhance Stories," The Oklahoman, January 21, 1990

John Joerschke, "From the Editor," True West, V.32, no.8, 1985

Bethany Krottinger, "Stillwater author fulfilled dream in writing Western novels, articles," www.ocolly.com,
March 5, 2002

Charles E. Rand, "Museum Acquires Glenn D. Shirley Western Americana Collection," Persimmon Hill
V.34, No.3 (Autumn 2006), pp. 1-6.

Glenn D. Shirley Resume

Glenn D. Shirley Scrapbooks, 1936-2002

^Back to top



Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson