Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-24-2009 11:59:am

lenape

Neki Ahasak.....

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=122655

Mary Young 1/24: Sacred Oak in Oley draws visitors who bahave badly
Oley, PA -  The giant, 488-year-old oak tree in Oley Township is still sacred.

Apparently, people think the property where the tree is located is not.

Rachel Theis owns the tree and the property around it.

The tree is known locally as the Sacred Oak.

Theis said that if the destruction of her property by people who come to see the tree continues, she will have no choice but to cut off their access.

The problems started in June 2007 after the Reading Eagle ran a story I wrote about a healing ceremony she held at the oak.

Vandals had tried to burn the tree. Its foliage was thinner and leaves smaller than usual.

Theis had the Lenape National Council based in Sellersville, Bucks County, do an anesthetization ceremony in preparation for a lifesaving trim of the branches by a trusted professional.

That fall Pennsylvania Magazine ran another article about the oak written by Reading Eagle assistant news editor Jim Kerr.

The number of visitors increased as a result.

But these are not the kind of visitors Theis was used to.

Until then, other than the vandals, her visitors had been people who honor and revere the tree.

Last year, she had to spend $12,000 to repair ruts in her land caused by people driving their vehicles across the lawn.

The ruts are back again this year.

Theis wants visitors to park on Heffner Lane. She owns that, too.

It's a private road. There's plenty of room there. The walk to the tree isn't that far.

Yet, people drive right over the lawn and even the soybeans planted by a farmer Theis rents land to.

They bring along their dogs and allow them to run all over the place, she said.

These inconsiderate visitors also leave trash behind, Theis said.

She got rid of tires dragged in by youths who use them as seats to sit by the creek and drink, smoke or do drugs.

More tires have appeared.

She had a large container of weed killer she used whenever she saw poison ivy spring up.

Someone stole it.

"It doesn't make your heart brim over with good feelings," Theis said.

Theis said she is going to put up a chain that she hopes will get people to park on Heffner Road, where she wants them to park.

She was going to put a sign on the chain that states: "Don't drive on my lawn. I wouldn't drive on yours."

But then she thought about the two little girls and their mother who scattered their father's ashes by the tree. They come back to the tree periodically to visit.

She thought about the young college student who came to do a term paper on the tree.

She thought about the woman who came from New Zealand to see the tree.

She thought about all the regular visitors who do respect the tree and its status as a symbol of spirituality.

The chain will go up.

The sign won't.

"I've got about 60 regulars who come all the time," she said. "They play by the rules. But then you get these yahoos who drive across the lawn.

"It's a beautiful spot, and I want people to enjoy it. I would hate to close the tree to the public, but I can't have this kind of destruction going on."

Please, please, please.

Show a little reverence for one of Berks County's unique treasures.

If you go, park on Heffner Road and walk to the tree.

What you see when you get there will be well worth that little bit of extra effort.

•Contact reporter Mary Young at 610-478-6292 or myoung@readingeagle.com.

#2 Jan-24-2009 12:00:pm

lenape

Re: Neki Ahasak.....

does anyone else see a pattern with these "Crows"?  Kind of like that of a tornado.........yikes

#3 Jan-24-2009 12:47:pm

sschkaak

You know...  I'm having more and more difficulty with bothering about this stuff.  Most real Lenape don't give a crap about it.  They just laugh it off.  I guess, as a white man, it's embarrassing to watch white people play Indian--and maddening to see other non-Indians mistaking the show for reality, but I honestly don't believe anything I've done to expose them has made one iota of a difference.  They're going stronger, now, than ever.

#4 Jan-24-2009 12:48:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Theis had the Lenape National Council based in Sellersville, Bucks County, do an anesthetization ceremony in preparation for a lifesaving trim of the branches by a trusted professional.

What the.............. roll

#5 Jan-24-2009 12:56:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

You know...  I'm having more and more difficulty with bothering about this stuff.  Most real Lenape don't give a crap about it.  They just laugh it off.  I guess, as a white man, it's embarrassing to watch white people play Indian--and maddening to see other non-Indians mistaking the show for reality, but I honestly don't believe anything I've done to expose them has made one iota of a difference.  They're going stronger, now, than ever.

I know what you mean. I don't think anything makes a difference anymore. The point is by them "laughing it off" these idiots are teaching language and culture now, and not just in their little hole in the wall.

I'm gonna go bang my head against the wall for awhile now. neutral

#6 Jan-24-2009 01:38:pm

sschkaak

Remember what Mrs. Dean (d.1984) REALLY said about Pennsylvania:

"Twenty years from now the Lenape culture will be just a mish mash by the present day hippys making up things."

Were truer words ever spoken?

#7 Jan-24-2009 02:00:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

"Twenty years from now the Lenape culture will be just a mish mash by the present day hippys making up things."

Well she did see it coming!  I think I want to move now. sad

#8 Jan-24-2009 03:02:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

Well she did see it coming!  I think I want to move now. sad

Well, while I agree 100%, with both T-H and Sschkaak, it doesn't help that the "token" "Indians" stand by them in their events, those who know better, were brought up better, but seem to have their hand out...

I don't care what any of them do any more...

#9 Jan-24-2009 07:28:pm

Tokipahkinao

He! Gang,

Wanishi! Ray, for reminding me of Nora Dean's  comment.

MaryEllen

#10 Apr-28-2009 11:08:pm

NanticokePiney

*BUMP*  smile

sschkaak wrote:

Remember what Mrs. Nora Thompson Dean (d.1984) REALLY said about Pennsylvania:

yikes   *GASP!*

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Board footer