Announcement

• Index
  •  » Language
  •  » Personal Names of Indians of New Jersey and Pennsylvania

#1 Feb-07-2009 10:41:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Personal Names of Indians of New Jersey and Pennsylvania

In the following pages about six hundred and fifty personal names are given, not counting repetitions. These are practically all additions to the vocabularies above mentioned, and so form a very material extension of our knowledge of the Lenni-Lenape language.

Moreover, Indian personal names were usually combinations of nominal, pronominal and adjectival themes, so that this list is calculated to throw much light on the habits of thought, the mental characteristics, the structure of their language and the environments of the aborigines.

The student of the origin of language will be interested to notice that certain sounds are almost never used in beginning personal names.

The frequency of the letters of the English alphabet in beginning the names hereinafter given appears by the following table. The third column shows the frequency of the several letters, taken from a list of 15,800 names of white inhabitants of New Jersey, 1670-1730. Dividing this number by 26 we have 600 such persons, the same number as of the aborigines named. The comparison is therefore based on an equal number of names of Indians and whites, and approximately the same period

List for NJ http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/n … ans_nj.htm

In the following pages about six hundred and fifty personal names are given, not counting repetitions. These are practically all additions to the vocabularies above mentioned, and so form a very material extension of our knowledge of the Lenni-Lenape language.

Moreover, Indian personal names were usually combinations of nominal, pronominal and adjectival themes, so that this list is calculated to throw much light on the habits of thought, the mental characteristics, the structure of their language and the environments of the aborigines.

The student of the origin of language will be interested to notice that certain sounds are almost never used in beginning personal names.

The frequency of the letters of the English alphabet in beginning the names hereinafter given appears by the following table. The third column shows the frequency of the several letters, taken from a list of 15,800 names of white inhabitants of New Jersey, 1670-1730. Dividing this number by 26 we have 600 such persons, the same number as of the aborigines named. The comparison is therefore based on an equal number of names of Indians and whites, and approximately the same period. Read more...

The following names of Delaware Indians are gleaned from the Pennsylvania Records, and the Pennsylvania Archives, First Series. Many of these Indians were formerly residents of New Jersey, and they all spoke the same language as the aborigines living between the Delaware and the ocean.

List for Pa. http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/p … lvania.htm

#2 Feb-07-2009 12:31:pm

sschkaak

Re: Personal Names of Indians of New Jersey and Pennsylvania

Thanks!  The first book I've had for quite some time.  I haven't seen that second list, before--at least, not as compiled, here.

#3 Feb-07-2009 01:01:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Personal Names of Indians of New Jersey and Pennsylvania

I thought it was a neat list. I could have quoted the sources better in my post. hmm

• Index
  •  » Language
  •  » Personal Names of Indians of New Jersey and Pennsylvania

Board footer