Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-23-2009 01:43:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Pronunciation...

I could use some help with this. If anyone has some basics they could post.

#2 Jan-23-2009 02:08:pm

sschkaak

Re: Pronunciation...

Go to the Lenape Talking Dictionary www.talk-lenape.org and click-on "Spelling" at the top of the page.  And, of course, all the words in the LTD with that speaker icon give the audio pronunciation of the word by fluent Lenape speakers.  (Click-on "Sentences," too.)

#3 Jan-23-2009 02:09:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Thank you sir.

#4 Jan-23-2009 02:16:pm

lenape

I agree with Sshkaak, however keep in mind the the pronunciation "guide" is an "approximate" and the actual sounds the letters make will vary some!  And of course if you are 'building' a word there are various changes that the sounds, and spelling, under go, simply put you cant 'slap' a prefix(or suffix) to a root, or stem, and make a word!!!  (This is were the class would help you, hint, hint tongue)

Last edited by lenape (Jan-23-2009 02:19:pm)

#5 Jan-23-2009 02:22:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Oh good golly. That's why I've never learned much I try to say a word and end up turning my tongue into a pretzel. neutral

#6 Jan-23-2009 03:08:pm

lenape

"simply put you cant 'slap' a prefix(or suffix) to a root, or stem, and make a word!!!"

this statement is only true 3 of the Delaware dialects, Northern Unami, Southern Unami, and Munsee, the other dialects such the "Pritchard Dialect", the "DePaul Dialect", and that of Mr. Testicals on a stick seem to allow this, and pretty much anything else you want to do to the word, with out and grammatical influence....  roll

#7 Jan-23-2009 03:12:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

"simply put you cant 'slap' a prefix(or suffix) to a root, or stem, and make a word!!!"

this statement is only true 3 of the Delaware dialects, Northern Unami, Southern Unami, and Munsee, the other dialects such the "Pritchard Dialect", the "DePaul Dialect", and that of Mr. Testicals on a stick seem to allow this, and pretty much anything else you want to do to the word, with out and grammatical influence....  roll

tongue

#8 Jan-23-2009 07:36:pm

NanticokePiney

lenape wrote:

Mr. Testicles on a stick

Tree Beard!!!! lollollol

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#9 Jan-26-2009 10:48:pm

Suckachsinheet

lenape wrote:

and the Rafinesque and Brinton dialects?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#10 Jan-26-2009 10:50:pm

lenape

"Rafinesque" is just BS, I would like to think "Brinton" was just bad at linguistics...........

#11 Jan-26-2009 11:37:pm

sschkaak

What is the "Brinton dialect"?   neutral

#12 Jan-27-2009 10:23:pm

Suckachsinheet

sschkaak wrote:

What is the "Brinton dialect"?   neutral

I was kind of fishing there. I have not have much chance to read a whole lot of Brinton, but I know he incorrectly backed the Walam Olum. I couldn't remember whether he did much linguistic work along with his other inquiries. I'm sure I mis-spoke.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

Board footer