Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Oct-17-2008 08:48:am

lenape

Arronimink

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cf … &rfi=8

On the row home-lined streets found at the congested corner of 52nd & Chester, a golf course was once born. The Southwest Philadelphia neighborhood was considered an outskirt of Center City in the 1890's and was an optimal location for the Belmont Golf Association to layout a diminutive nine-hole course. It would be named after a Lenape Indian chief named Arronimink, with the second "r" being dropped.
In 1897, an 18-year-old named Hugh Wilson won the course's first club championship. Thirteen years later, that same teenager was selected to design a course on 126 sprawling acres in the suburb of Ardmore. That course was ultimately deemed as the East Course at Merion Golf Club.

hmmm, could not find anything one this, *I* never heard of this Chief, anyone else?  I am not sure about the name, there are no "r's" in Lenape, except of course the "r - dialect", which would be out of place in Philly.  Also the /-(i)nk/ suffix denotes location, "on, in, from, ect...", probably would not be a "chiefs name", or??

#2 Oct-17-2008 09:04:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Arronimink

I never heard of this one either (again that's not saying much). hmm

#3 Oct-17-2008 10:10:am

sschkaak
Website

Re: Arronimink

Like so many of these old Lenape placenames, romantic fantasy has transformed it into an Indian Chief's name.  This is actually the name of an Indian town, inside what is now Philadelphia, at the junction of Mill Creek with the Schuylkill River, written as "Aroenameck" in 1660, "Arronemink" in 1661, and "Arromink" in 1681.  Might mean, 'place where the fish cease.'  (There is a waterfall in Mill Creek, which may have stopped or hindered the upward migration of anadromous fish.)

Board footer