•  » Who are they?
  •  » Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in "PA"

#1 Jul-22-2008 04:20:pm

lenape

Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in "PA"

Posted July 22nd, 2008 by ruzik_tuzik

Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania

September 13, 2008 through September 9, 2009

Once the undisputed lords of southeastern Pennsylvania, the Lenape Indians largely disappeared from the state's history after their forced migration westward in the 1700s. Although the academic community and some members of the Western Lenape communities maintain that no Lenape remained in Pennsylvania at the close of the 18th century, their position is belied by the existence of direct descendants of Lenape people who chose to stay in Pennsylvania. Though some of these Lenape people intermarried with European settlers, members of this lineage have secretly upheld their Native traditions and identity for more than two hundred years.

This exhibition, organized by Penn Museum together with the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, features more than 60 objects from the private collections of Lenape people in Pennsylvania, and about a dozen, largely archaeological objects, from the collections of Penn Museum. Ancient masks, dolls, jewelry, and other traditional arts are featured, as well as a number of once-secret family heirlooms, rich with hidden Lenape symbolism, dating from the early 19th century. The exhibition also addresses the activities and aspirations of the Lenape of Pennsylvania today, as members of the community speak out through a short video. The Jacqueline W. and John C. Hover II Gallery

http://www.huliq.com/64641/penn-museum- … xhibitions

#2 Jul-22-2008 04:26:pm

lenape

Re: Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in "PA"

"Ancient masks, dolls, jewelry, and other traditional arts are featured, as well as a number of once-secret family heirlooms...."

Well folks it seems the "Chia Pet" (AKA Mr. Potato Head) will be making another appearance, wounder if the "dolls" mentioned above will be "Barbie" wrapped in some Jersey field corn husks, and the "heirlooms..." must be Bobs Traditional Lenape bag pipes..............., from the Lenape side of Ireland.

Make it STOP!!!!!!!!yikes

#3 Jul-22-2008 04:38:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Maybe someone finally got him that deer hide. neutral

Dolls? neutral

http://www.mazeguy.net/angry/banghead.gif

#4 Jul-22-2008 05:02:pm

Tokipahkinao

HE! tree hugger,

When I first heard about this "display" I was speechless. . .

A  couple of questions:

!. When you buy a very bad book to keep as a reference to refute it's contents, are you actually "supporting " the work by your $$$?

2. When you attend a "display" like the one  starting in Sept. at Penn, are you adding to the attendance, and thus to it's popularity?

Comments, anyone?

MaryEllen

#5 Jul-22-2008 05:07:pm

lenape

Tokipahkinao wrote:

A  couple of questions:

!. When you buy a very bad book to keep as a reference to refute it's contents, are you actually "supporting " the work by your $$$?

2. When you attend a "display" like the one  starting in Sept. at Penn, are you adding to the attendance, and thus to it's popularity?

Comments, anyone?

MaryEllen

I used to attend just to publicly question them and point out the inaccuracies to those attending but that has not ended very well recently, the powwow and before that the "Churchville" display...

I wouldn't give them $0.50 for the book, roll

#6 Jul-22-2008 05:24:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I wouldn't buy the book for a buck, personally. Well I would for only one reason, to get it in Ray's hands for an honest review. I don't think I could stomach even having it in my house at this point in time.  neutral

I'm too far away to attend, but I wouldn't be welcome anyway. Not that I would go, I just might have an "episode" LOL.

#7 Jul-22-2008 05:43:pm

NanticokePiney

Tokipahkinao wrote:

HE! tree hugger,

When I first heard about this "display" I was speechless. . .

A  couple of questions:

Comments, anyone?

MaryEllen

I wouldn't stop at this "display" to pee on the floor. If Herb Kraft or Clinton Weslager were alive they would be tearing it to shreds. Everybody is afraid to open their mouths. Where's anyone of authority comments on this? Has anybody from Bartlesville or Anadarko commented? What about Moraviantown?
  You and Ray are the only ones with authority who have the guts to point and say "fake". I can't even get the Friends (Quaker) Indian Commitee to budge.

dolls??neutral  I don't want to know................

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#8 Jul-25-2008 04:12:am

thunderchicken

I hope that they remembered to remove the made in china tags!! Maybe one person can go just to take pictures so the rest of us can have a good laugh and of course after they get the pics maybe pic a fight big_smile

People have tried and tried but sex is not better than sweetcorn

#9 Jul-25-2008 09:07:am

Tokipahkinao

HE! Friends,

I'm not sure my heart could stand it if I viewed the "Lenape" Display at the U of P Museum. Just looking at the pic of the M'sing face on the preview at the website raised my blood pressure!!!

hOW COULD THAT NOTED MUSEUM BE "CONNED" INTO THAT TRAVESTY?

THIS IS MY OPINION,  and I won't back down from it #@F$%&

Love to All,

MaryEllen

PS: Check your blood pressure!

#10 Jul-25-2008 09:24:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Just my opinion!

Are they being conned or are they (one person in particular) part of it?

#11 Jul-25-2008 08:18:pm

NanticokePiney

Tokipahkinao wrote:

HE! Friends,

I'm not sure my heart could stand it if I viewed the "Lenape" Display at the U of P Museum. Just looking at the pic of the M'sing face on the preview at the website raised my blood pressure!!!

THIS IS MY OPINION,  and I won't back down from it #@F$%&

Love to All,

MaryEllen

PS: Check your blood pressure!

They are getting grants and monies for "discovering" a lost "tribe?" They know what their doing. They're crooks.

#12 Aug-03-2008 09:46:pm

Tokipahkinao

He! lenape, 

I read your comment on the "Churchville" display" What happened?

I am very interested in the Lenape Village at the Churchville Nature Center because I helped build it from the beginning. I was one of the people who trained the interpretors, and I led the workshops in making appropriate Lenape clothes .

But things have changed a lot since the village won that PA State award . . . .

Wanishi,
                                                     MaryEllen

#13 Aug-10-2008 12:39:pm

lenape

Tokipahkinao wrote:

He! lenape, 

I read your comment on the "Churchville" display" What happened?

I am very interested in the Lenape Village at the Churchville Nature Center because I helped build it from the beginning. I was one of the people who trained the interpretors, and I led the workshops in making appropriate Lenape clothes .

But things have changed a lot since the village won that PA State award . . . .

Wanishi,
                                                     MaryEllen

See the PM I sent you,
Wanishi

#14 Aug-20-2008 09:11:am

lenape

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/news/fu … ?which=338

Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania

A New Exhibition Opening September 13, 2008 at Penn Museum, Tells the Long-Unspoken Story of the Region’s Local Native Americans

Netami ahas kenthu li guttitehewagan wichi Kishelemukonk.
The first crow he flew the way of harmony with Creator.
Nisheneit ahas kwechi pilito entalelemukonk, shek palsu ok ankela.
The second crow he tried to clean it the world, but he became sick and he died.
Nexeneit ahas weneyoo ankelek xansa ok koshiphuwe.
The third crow he saw him dead his brother and he hid.
Neweneit ahas kenthu li guttitehewagan lapi wichi Kishelemukonk.
The fourth crow he flew the way of harmony again with Creator.
--from the Prophecy of the Fourth Crow

Once the undisputed lords of southeastern Pennsylvania, the Lenape Indians largely disappeared from the state's history after their forced migration westward in the 1700s. According to the government, many in the academic community—and until recently many in Native American communities—no Lenape people remained in Pennsylvania at the close of the 18th century, with Lenape living culture effectively disappearing from the region. Or did it?

Today, there are direct descendants of Lenape people who chose to stay in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware—despite cultural persecution—while the majority of Lenape were driven westward, ultimately creating Lenape communities in Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, other parts of the United States, and in Canada. Often intermarrying with European settlers, local Lenape members of this lineage have secretly, and steadfastly, upheld their Native traditions and identity for more than two hundred years.

Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania, a new exhibition at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology opens with an afternoon public celebration September 13, 2008. The exhibition seeks to tell this long-hidden story—one of courage, commitment, and cultural continuity in the face of long oppression. The story is told by the region’s local Lenape Nation members, as presented to exhibition curators Chief Robert Red Hawk Ruth and Shelley DePaul, both of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, with University of Pennsylvania anthropology student and third curator, Abigail Seldin. More than 60 cultural objects, as well as documents and personal photographs, loaned by members of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, as well as archaeological material from the Museum’s own collections, offer rich new insight into the ongoing culture and traditions of the region’s first Americans.

The exhibition runs for a year, through September 13, 2009, in the Museum’s newly renovated second floor Jacqueline W. and John C. Hover II Gallery.

Ancient masks, corn husk dolls, jewelry, a traditional “wedding stick,” a beaded umbilical cord bag, beaded moccasins, a large ceremonial drum and other traditional arts are featured in Fulfilling a Prophecy, as well as a number of once-secret family heirlooms, rich with hidden Lenape symbolism, dating from the early 19th century.

The exhibition draws upon stories and tribal knowledge collected through extensive interviews by Chief Red Hawk Ruth, Ms. DePaul, and other members of the Lenape Nation, as part of their ongoing Family History Project. Activities and aspirations of the Lenape of Pennsylvania today are addressed in storytelling audio stations throughout the exhibition.

Fulfilling a Prophecy is organized around a Lenape prophecy, the “Prophecy of the Fourth Crow,” an ancient story passed down among the Lenape for generations. The Fourth Crow Prophecy relates the ways in which Lenape people have struggled to survive and to keep the community and culture intact. Here, the four crows usher in four broadly defined periods of time for the Lenape people: the time before the arrival of Europeans, a time of struggle and conflicts at contact, a period of hiding, and a time of the fourth crow: a future of renewed harmony and cultural renaissance. A short video produced by Amit Das and Kristin Searle from the University of Pennsylvania's Graduate School of Education focuses on the Fourth Crow Prophecy.

“We believe the time has come for our people and our neighbors to share and celebrate the rich and unique history and culture of the Lenape community of Pennsylvania,” said Chief Red Hawk Ruth.

The public opening celebration, with activities for children and adults, runs from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, September 13, and is free with Museum admission donation. The curators will speak, and members of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania will share and demonstrate some of the music, dance, stories, arts, crafts, and spiritual practices that have sustained them as a people.

Also on Penn Museum’s second floor are three other galleries with long-term exhibitions about native peoples of the Americas: Raven’s Journey: The World of Alaska’s Native People, Living in Balance: The Universe of the Hopi, Zuni, Navajo and Apache, and the Mesoamerican gallery, featuring materials from ancient cultures of Mexico and Central America.

The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is dedicated to the study and understanding of human history and diversity. Founded in 1887, the Museum has sent more than 400 archaeological and anthropological expeditions to all the inhabited continents of the world. With an active exhibition schedule and educational programming for children and adults, the Museum offers the public an opportunity to share in the ongoing discovery of humankind’s collective heritage.

Penn Museum is located at 3260 South Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Museum hours are Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Sunday, 1 to 5 p.m. Closed Mondays and holidays. Museum admission donation is $8 adults; $5 senior citizens and students with ID; free to Museum members, children under 6, and University of Pennsylvania staff, students, and faculty with a PENNcard. For general information call (215) 898-4000, or visit the Museum's website at http://www.museum.upenn.edu.

# # #

Image Caption:
A Lenape fan made of beads, deerskin and feathers rests in the hands of Shelley DePaul, Director of the Language Program for the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania and a co-curator of the new exhibition Fulfilling a Prophecy: the Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania. Photo: Lauren Hansen-Flaschen.
roll

#15 Aug-20-2008 09:15:am

lenape

"
A Lenape fan made of beads, deerskin and feathers rests in the hands of Shelley DePaul, Director of the Language Program for the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania and a co-curator of the new exhibition Fulfilling a Prophecy: the Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania. Photo: Lauren Hansen-Flaschen.
roll
"

Are you kidding me???  I would expect this nonsense to go on at a powwow or private event but this is a "MUSEUM"!!!!

#16 Aug-20-2008 09:19:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Ancient masks, corn husk dolls, jewelry, a traditional “wedding stick,” a beaded umbilical cord bag, beaded moccasins, a large ceremonial drum and other traditional arts are featured in Fulfilling a Prophecy, as well as a number of once-secret family heirlooms, rich with hidden Lenape symbolism, dating from the early 19th century.

Uhh Ancient??? Once-secret? As in they just got them finished.

#17 Aug-31-2008 09:57:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/events/ … which=1634

Exhibition Opening and Public Celebration : Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania

Sat September 13
1:00 pm  to 4:00 pm

Join us for a remarkable afternoon celebration, as we partner with Pennsylvania Lenape of today to “fulfill a prophecy” and tell the story of a resilient and indomitable people who have preserved their culture under near impossible odds. Hear from curators Robert Red Hawk Ruth, Chief of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, Shelley De Paul, Director of the Language Program for the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania, and Abigail Seldin, University of Pennsylvania student (for exhibition information, see In the Galleries). Members of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania join us to share and demonstrate the music, dance, stories, arts, crafts, and spiritual practices that have sustained them as a people. Activities for children and families will provide joyous opportunities to connect with the rich culture of Pennsylvania’s native people. Museum-wide. Free with Museum admission donation.

This program has been made supported in part by the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities' We the People initiative on American History.

Opening Day Event Schedule:

1:00pm-1:15pm Opening Ceremony/Blessing outside the new exhibition

1:30pm-2:15pm Dance and Drum performers Mosaic Courtyard or Rainey Auditorium

2:00pm-2:30pm Storytelling: Dan Youngeagle Reese tells stories, and performs on the flute Nevil Classroom

2:15pm-3:00pm Curators’ lecture: “Flying with the Fourth Crow: A Reflection on Curating Fulfilling a Prophecy” Rainey Auditorium

3:30pm-4:00pm Red Hawk Singers performance Mosaic Courtyard or Rainey Auditorium

All Day activities:
Craftsmen and artisans outside in the Stoner Courtyard
Children’s crafts

/pb.php?url=http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/woodlandindians/depaulfan.jpg

Image Caption:
A Lenape fan made of beads, deerskin and feathers rests in the hands of Shelley DePaul, Director of the Language Program of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania and a co-curator of Fulfilling a Prophecy: the Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania. Photo: Lauren Hansen-Flaschen.

#18 Aug-31-2008 12:07:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Is it just me? Those middle feathers sure don't look like turkey (or anything else "legal:) to me.

That's my only comment on that fan. roll

#19 Aug-31-2008 12:34:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

Is it just me? Those middle feathers sure don't look like turkey (or anything else "legal:) to me.

That's my only comment on that fan. roll

hmmm, you are not talking about the HAWK feathers are you?  The same HAWK which is protected by FEDERAL LAW, think something about FEDERALLY RECOGNIZED INDIANS, hmmmm

By the way the bead work doesn't resemble any eastern woodlands work that I am familiar with, not that I have seen it all, AT LEAST THE BEADS ARE LEGAL, hmmmm....

#20 Aug-31-2008 03:30:pm

ramapoughnative
Website

Question for anyone. I see the itinerary is posted. Is there anything going on here that is legit? i.e. the singers, the storyteller, etc? or is the whole thing a sham?

just curious..

Everything I do is for my grandmother for without her, I wouldn't be here today.

#21 Aug-31-2008 04:15:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Singers:

Chief Bob Redhawk Ruth exhibition co-curator, is currently serving his second term as Chief of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania (previous term from 1998-2003; current term began in 2007). He has worked for the Lenape Nation since 1976 as Coordinator of Public Outreach, Education Coordinator, Assistant Chief, and Sub-Chief. He is founder of Red Hawk Singers, and co-founder of Red Hawk Singers and Dance Troupe. He received a B.A in Music and Music Education from Combs College of Music in Philadelphia in 1975.

I've never heard of Reese (at least that I can remember). Anyone else on the other activities?

#22 Sep-01-2008 09:42:pm

NanticokePiney

He has worked for the Lenape Nation since 1976 as Coordinator of Public Outreach, Education Coordinator, Assistant Chief, and Sub-Chief

yikes  Was he even claiming Indian in 1976???????? Was there even a Lenape Nation in 1976????? somebody better look back. I don't think soooooooo..........

#23 Sep-02-2008 08:43:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

If someone already posted this, I must have missed it. Image Gallery. (excuse me while I go bang my head on a wall)

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/exhibit … hind.shtml

#24 Sep-02-2008 08:53:am

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

If someone already posted this, I must have missed it. Image Gallery. (excuse me while I go bang my head on a wall)

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/exhibit … hind.shtml

lol

Are you kidding me????????????

What I do not get is the TOTAL lack of any research by ANYONE in this, these people have no clue!!!!!!!!!!

These must be the "...family heirlooms...." they spoke about....roll

#25 Sep-02-2008 09:01:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

I don't EVEN know what to say right now. I totally DO NOT understand why no one is doing anything. I'm sure a couple of you here would be interested in their "Resources" page. While technically it's just a link page, it's an old website trick to make it look like the site is endorsed by these people.

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/new/exhibit … rces.shtml

Official Websites of Lenape/Delaware groups

Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania
http://www.lenapenation.org

Delaware Tribe of Indians (Oklahoma)
http://www.delawaretribe.org/index.htm

Delaware Nation (Oklahoma)
http://www.delawarenation.com/

Eastern Delaware Nation
http://www.easterndelawarenations.com/

The Nanticoke Lenni Lenape Indians of New Jersey
http://www.nanticoke-lenape.org/

Stockbridge-Munsee Community (Wisconsin)
http://www.mohican.com/

Munsee Delaware First Nation (Ontario)
http://www.chiefs-of-ontario.org/profil … aware.html

http://www.aboriginalcanada.gc.ca/acp/c … fn168.html

Moravian of Thames Band (Ontario)
http://www.aiai.on.ca/webpage/Delaware.htm

Ramapough Lenape Nation (New York and New Jersey)
http://www.ramapoughlenapenation.org/index.php

Powhatan Renape Nation
http://www.powhatan.org/

Kansas Delaware Tribe of Indians
http://kansasdelaware.org/index.html

Lenape Language Resources

Free Lenape Language Curriculum (scroll down)
http://www.lenapenation.org/lenapeculture.html

Lenape-English dictionary
http://www.panativeamericans.org/lenape_dictionary.html

Talking Lenape Dictionary, Curriculum for purchase
http://www.native-languages.org/lenape.htm#language

Lenape Language Workshop at the University of Pennsylvania
http://indiancountrynews.net/index.php

• Index
  •  » Who are they?
  •  » Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in "PA"

Board footer