Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 Jul-23-2008 06:47:pm

NanticokePiney

Re: Powhatan Renape

Tokipahkinao wrote:

HE! Folks,
                   The State is creating a nature area - hiking  path connection on both sides of the Rancocas Creek ( a major RIVER in Burlington County, that flows west to the Delaware River.) The State has already taken over and built trails, etc on many areas that front along the Rancocas river bank, and expects to connect them so  people could hike ,
do nature studies, etc.  all the way to the Del. River. The Rancocas State Park property fronts on a section of the Rancocas Creek.  So . . . .

Wanishi,
                                                        MaryEllen

GOOD! big_smile THEY DESERVE TO LOSE IT! tongue

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#27 Jul-24-2008 04:15:pm

sschkaak
Website

Tokipahkinao wrote:

HE! Folks,

The fact that the Sandhill Lenape are /were (?) not recognized by the State of NJ prbably goes back to the late James "Lone Bear" Revey.

Herbert C Kraft  of Seton Hall U. was a very good friend to James, who's office was " down  the  street" from the University.  H erb mentioned several times to me that the only place where the two men disagreed was: Herb strongly suggested to James th at he apply to the State of NJ for state recognition, but James always said no: "We know who we are."

I heard him - I WAS THERE

Wanishi,
                                          MaryEllen

This is quite true.  Enrollment in the Stockbridge-Munsee Band--based on an old agreement between the Mohicans and Delawares--was offered, but turned down, too.  Jim was a Sand Hill Indian of New Jersey, and wanted to stay that way.  It should be pointed out, however, that he *was* later instrumental in the drafting of the (previously posted) New Jersey gubernatorial proclamation recognizing the Lenape (which, of course, includes the Sand Hill Indians).

#28 Jul-25-2008 07:46:am

Tokipahkinao

HE! Folks,

In regard to "State Recognition" and "Federeal Recognition", it is MY understanding that State Recog. IS NOT A STEP toward Federal Recog. by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

In NJ, ( and probably) in many other States, all a "tribe", "Nation", etc. needed was to find a willing State representative from their local district to sponsor a bill in the State Legislature to proclaim them "State Regognized".

To my knowledge, The Bureau of Indian Affairs, with all it's flaws, does NOT consider State recog. to be a part of the criteria to become "Federally Recognized".

Wanishi,
                                              MaryEllen

#29 Jul-27-2008 08:19:pm

NanticokePiney

I admired Roy (Crazy Horse) Johnson when I was a kid. I also admired his top adviser Vernon (Lone Eagle) Adams who was my cousin. My mom would drop me off at the cultural festivals on Rt 38 at the big tepee and Roy would set me up a table to do flintknapping demonstration. Him and Grandpop Buster (Wayandaga)  didn't get along but he would never go anyway. Then Buster went off the deep end and put the "curse" on Rt 55. At the next festival Roy told me Buster was crazy and he wasn't Indian. He said we were not related to the Pierces in Gouldtown we were Black. He then told me I wasn't related to the Morrisville Adams either. He checked my geneology and the Adams I was related to were from Camden and they were Black too. Because of this I was no longer allowed to demonstrate because I wasn't Indian. He said all this in front of Vernon Adams who stood quiet. I will never forgive or forget this.

Rich Joseph

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

Board footer