Website

THE UELN WEAR NO CLOTHES

http://ashtabulacurrent.com/the-ueln-wears-no-clothes/

[Photographs and sound, at the URL]

Jul 27, 2012

The UELN Has No Clothes

Wwest News Service (WNS)

Editorial Comment

They are posers, wannabes and frauds and you will have the unfortunate chance to catch their degrading performance this weekend at the 2012 Downtown Ashtabula Multi-Cultural Festival.

The United Eastern Lenape Nation is anything but a Native American nation or tribe. This fair-skinned Native American tribe/nation (known as white people to actual Native Americans/Indians) are not connected to any one of the more than 500 federally recognized nations.

History shows that the Lenape (also known as the Leni or Lenni Lenape) did originate on the east coast but through tribal wars with the Iroquois Confederacy, the Lenape became a subjugated people. They would regroup when the Iroquois signed a treaty in 1682 with William Penn conceding that the Lenape (also known as Delaware Indians) were a tribe of men instead of a tribe of women.

Ashtabula residents Chief Bob Quiet Wolf, Nations Mother Bonnie Morning Dove, Sandi Red Wolf and their followers appear to be very nice people, but they have a hard time explaining their ancestry and the fact that they are an extremely pale-faced group of professed Native Americans.

Chief Bob Quiet Wolf says the Lenape (Delaware) are a matrilineal society. Matrilineal societies are those in which descent is traced through the mothers rather than through the fathers. Women in a matrilineal society represent the clan and their children carry on the name of the clan.

Chief Bob Quiet Wolf has addressed the obvious question that arises when one sees these Native American wannabes in a classroom, powwow or at a multi-cultural festival.

There again, is the misconception of our nations tribes, et cetera, et cetera, Quiet Wolf said. Point one is especially the Irish. When they got here our people definitely liked the Irish women because of their hair color, their eyes. Therefore everybody says you dont look Indian.

It is difficult to understand how a Native American matrilineal society could keep its lineage intact when their men are out boinking Irish women or any other white female for that matter.

Sandi Red Wolf, UELN powwow coordinator, makes a claim that is hard to comprehend.

There is a Lenape Nation/person in every country of the world, Sandi Red Wolf said.

There was a slave type thing, the same as with the black, Chief Quiet Wolf said.

This may be true if actual ancestral history is not an issue when one wants to be considered a Lenape/Delaware Indian. It works for the UELN headquartered in Ashtabula.

The UELN Trading Post is also close by during powwows and festivals. You can purchase crude racist Indian time clocks that features a clock face drawn in felt tip pen. If that doesnt twist your loin cloth you can always purchase a leather pouch with United Eastern Lenape Nation scrawled on it with a Sharpie.

But this matters little to the local media in Ashtabula Country. The two newspapers unquestioningly report on the activities of the UELN organization as if it was a legitimate Indian nation. The local educators invite these impostors into their schools and treat them with far more respect than they treat actual Native Americans.

The Ashtabula Downtown Development Association (ADDA) has a great idea to host a Multi-Cultural Festival, but is either too rushed or too uninformed to invite actual Native Americans to represent themselves at the festival.

Imagine the outcry of racism if the association used white people in blackface to represent the culture of black Americans.

For more information about the Lenni Lenape (Delaware Indian) email them at lfall-leaf@delawaretribe.org

The federally recognized Lenape Delaware Tribe of Indians address is

Delaware Tribal Offices
170 NE Barbara
Bartlesville, OK 74006
Phone: 918-337-6590
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. 5 p.m.

Their website is:http://delawaretribe.org/tribalsite/

#2 Jul-30-2012 09:38:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: THE UELN WEAR NO CLOTHES

Oh dear.............

#3 Jul-31-2012 12:17:am

Suckachsinheet

Looks like Amanda "Quiet Rain" Wagner got a bully pulpit. That could be hard to shout down. But we don't need a dog in that fight...

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Oct-25-2013 09:46:pm

sschkaak
Website

#5 Oct-26-2013 10:43:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

Anyone know "Dragonfly Van Pelt"?

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news … ge-project

I believe that she is actually a member here lol. Although I haven't noticed any activity from that group here in a long time.

#6 Oct-26-2013 10:50:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

I stand corrected. After searching my email and here, it seems that it may be a different Dragonfly from the UELN that is a member here. Unless she changed her last name....I need that play book. neutral

FWIW- A bunch of them joined here during that Amandaquietrain mess. roll

#7 Oct-26-2013 11:56:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Correcting myself AGAIN lol

This Dragonfly Vanpelt is indeed the same person that is a member here, and also conversed with me through email AT LENGTH awhile back.

#8 Oct-26-2013 02:15:pm

sschkaak
Website

Anischi!  Didn't ring a bell with me.

#9 Oct-26-2013 02:22:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Bumped one. Do have tylenol handy, and no hot drinks within reaching distance. big_smile

#10 Oct-26-2013 10:26:pm

Suckachsinheet

Interesting. I recall trying to obtain remains (for reburial) that were dug up during the construction of a retail outlet back in my Lightning Valley days. We got shut down by the Museum Commission, but I still chuckle at our boldness.

Unfortunately, a few years later I tried to get one of the Haudenosaunee nations to claim the remains but I'm pretty sure I was largely ignored. So the remains are still being held at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, where they had been taken for analysis.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#11 Jun-19-2018 09:00:am

sschkaak
Website

14th Annual Powwow honors native ancestors

By DAVE DELUCA ddeluca@starbeacon.com Jun 18, 2018

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_ne … 4d7bf.html

WAYNE TOWNSHIP — Hundreds of tribal members and lovers of native American culture made it to the Ashtabula County Antique Engine Club on State Route 322 for the 14th annual “Honoring Our Ancestors Native American Powwow" on Sunday.

They came for Native American music, art, crafts, dancing, drumming, story telling and games and activities of all kinds. There was food and fellowship and strengthening of tribal bonds. However the temperature dangled near 90 degrees all day and that kept some people at home.

The powwow was sponsored by Lenape Native Path, Inc., a 501c.3 non-profit, and tribal members of the Eastern Lenni Lenape tribe. The tribe has approximately 500 members, of which nearly 400 live in Ashtabula County.

Bob Thompson, or “Quiet Wolf," as he is known to most people, is the tribe’s senior elder and chief. He said his tribal band has been holding powwows for over 20 years at different locations.

“This is our 14th year, but we’ve held them longer than that," he said.

“I think the heat got to people today, although we did get about 300 to 400 people participating. That’s a little less than usual."

He said one of the powwow’s main draws was native dance accompanied by native drumming.

He said everyone is invited to join in regardless of their ancestry or ability.

“Our drummers come from Florida, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and all over the map," he said.

“We still have our local drummers who come from Ohio, though. Many people come to the powwow for the healing drums."

Allan Knotts, a Lenape tribal member from West Virginia, said he goes to at least six powwows a year.

“I’ve been coming to the gatherings for 12 years now," he said. “I especially enjoy this powwow because I feel these people are like family to me. It doesn’t matter to them whether you’re rich or poor, they’ll always help you if you need it."

Stuart Hayes Engler, a dancer and tribal member from Alger, Ohio, said he started dancing when he was 13 and hasn’t quit yet.
“It’s very spiritual and healing," he said.

“One of my favorite things about this powwow is that everyone from beginner to expert can join in the dance and drum singing."

Quiet Wolf said his tribe was not into competitive dancing like some tribes were.

“We try to stay a ‘teaching nation’ and let people know what they didn’t learn in school," he said.

Ashtabula tribal member Barb Rekus, better known as Eagleheart, said the drums have the power to heal. She’s been coming to the powwows for six years now.
“Just spend some time in drum circle and you’ll see," she said. “It’s very positive and spiritual. It truly can heal."

Robert Hardy, of Windsor, is known as “Favorite Uncle. He said he attended his first powwow in 1957 in Oklahoma and has been teaching dancers and drummers how to make their brightly colored loomed apparel and regalia and leather crafts for 25 years now.

“This tribe is a family kind of thing," he said. “I’m a teacher and keep up with history and things like that."

Darlene Hunter, a member of the Eastern Band Cherokee Nation and from Akron, said she sells Native American crafted bead and cloth items and leather work and enjoys the Lenape powwows.

“I’ve been coming to their powwows for eight years now," she said. It’s nice to see them grow. They’re very nice people and they always make me feel welcome. The business is good, too, because there’s always a strong interest in authentic Native American arts and crafts."

Last edited by sschkaak (Jun-19-2018 09:00:am)

#12 Jun-19-2018 06:14:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Just......neutral

Board footer