Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-13-2012 05:19:pm

oldsalty

Winners or Losers the 1812 Wars

Its the Bicentennary year for the 1812 wars in Canada!!

Will First Nations be involved in the celebrations?

Are First Nations better off than their cross the border cousins as a result of the outcome?

Are displaced nations such as the Munsee and Delaware in Canada disadvantaged by the outcome of the 1812 Wars?

#2 Jan-13-2012 09:30:pm

sschkaak
Website

Re: Winners or Losers the 1812 Wars

oldsalty wrote:

Are displaced nations such as the Munsee and Delaware in Canada disadvantaged by the outcome of the 1812 Wars?

So far as I am aware, the Canadian Delaware are not eligible for land claims settlements in the U.S.A; nor does the U.S. government invite them to participate in NAGPRA proceedings.  (I'd appreciate correction, if I'm in error about any of this.)

#3 Jan-14-2012 09:38:am

tk

sschkaak wrote:

oldsalty wrote:

So far as I am aware, the Canadian Delaware are not eligible for land claims settlements in the U.S.A; nor does the U.S. government invite them to participate in NAGPRA proceedings.  (I'd appreciate correction, if I'm in error about any of this.)

While technically, NAGPRA only applies to US federally recognized groups, and while not by government "invitation,"  a number of collections holding institutions have, by courtesy (my word), either by direct consultation or by implication, included groups that have Canadian "branches" (again, my word). For example, to my knowledge, both Seton Hall and Yale have transferred "Sacred" (NAGPRA's word) objects to the Onondagas acting on behalf of the Hodenosaunee Confederacy. In both cases, the objects were clearly Canadian made, of recently vintage, and were obtained via commercial venues (e.g., Irocrafts).

tk

#4 Jan-14-2012 10:50:am

sschkaak
Website

tk:

Thanks for the information.  I'm glad to hear that some institutions, at least, have gone beyond what they are strictly legally obligated to do, in regard to repatriation of some items.

#5 Jan-14-2012 11:17:am

sschkaak
Website

Ah!  I recalled this:  http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewt … 7&p=14  [see Message #339].

Board footer