Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Nov-14-2011 08:33:pm

sschkaak

"Red Hawk"? "Turkey Clan"? "Munsee Delaware Tribe"?

November 13, 2011
Native American service conducted at Wolf Creek

http://bdtonline.com/local/x869148653/N … Wolf-Creek

(photos at link)

BILL ARCHER Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BASTIAN, Va. — Native American travelers through Virginia are discovering Wolf Creek Indian Village in Bastian and are offering blessings to help the village and its museum in its efforts to tell the story of the region’s native peoples before the arrival of European settlers.

“Indian tribes have been adopting us,” Denise Smith, Wolf Creek village and museum programs manager said. “When they find us, they ask how they can help.”

Chief Red Hawk, chief of the Turkey Clan of the Munsee Delaware Tribe presented 25 turkeys to the Bland Ministry Center before conducting a blessing ceremony for the village, the museum and the people of Bland County.

“This is really a blessing,” Deidre Hoosier, director of the Bland Ministry Center said. “We have so many people we are trying to help. We distribute 700 boxes of food to 600 families.” She said the turkeys from the Munsee Delaware Tribe won’t be distributed until Christmas. “We don’t have enough to make a Thanksgiving distribution this year,” she said.

Chief Gray Wolf from Tazewell County lit a ceremonial fire as part of the blessing ceremony, and the Red Fire Singers from Pulaski, Va., formed a drum ring and performed prior to and after the blessing ceremony.

Sherri Dillow, newly appointed general manager of Wolf Creek village and museum welcomed the crowd of people to the ceremony. Smith asked people attending the ceremony not to record or photograph the actual sacred blessing service.

Chief Red Hawk gave the blessing from the southern point on Wolf Creek’s Medicine Wheel, and 47 people joined Red Hawk and his wife, Spirit Woman in a ring around the circle as part of the ceremony.

— Contact Bill Archer at barcher@bdtonline.com

Last edited by sschkaak (Nov-14-2011 08:36:pm)

#2 Nov-14-2011 08:42:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: "Red Hawk"? "Turkey Clan"? "Munsee Delaware Tribe"?

Uh wow. Will get on this tomorrow, but uh wow. hmm

#3 Nov-15-2011 12:56:am

Suckachsinheet

Uh, wow is right. There are only two Munsee Delaware "tribes" I know anything about: LS's crew and the last group that sent him packing (his is the MDIN-USA, the other went with just MDN). Curiously, there is a Chief Red Hawk in the MDN, and she was married to a Chief Grey Wolf (now deceased; he was Wolf clan chief, she is nation's chief and Turkey clan mother). Most of my information is over ten years old now; I can't say I really know the players in either nation. I suspect this is a part of LS's group; I found they have established a village in West Virginia. But they really know how to get around and spread the BS; it helps to be a publicity hound if you are trying to establish a Native identity.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Nov-15-2011 11:12:pm

Suckachsinheet

After further research, I'm less convinced that that is LS's group. The East Liverpool bunch do call themselves Munsee Delaware Nation, and Red Hawk is their chief. The picture with the article could as easily be of a woman as a man, so the reporter could have been making an assumption. I have no idea who Spirit Woman is (although the name does seem familiar). But Bluefield VA seems a little distant for the East Liverpool MDN, unless they have branched out considerably. Any one else having any luck with a positive ID?

#5 Nov-16-2011 05:14:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

"Red Hawk and his wife, Spirit Woman in a ring around the circle as part of the ceremony."

I'm assuming from this, that photo is a guy. smile

I haven't had any luck yet either. There are so many off shoots, it's hard to tell. I wish they'd come up with something other than Red Hawk lol.

#6 Nov-16-2011 05:27:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Picture at: http://wolfcreekindianvillage.blogspot. … creek.html

Friday, April 9, 2010
Blessing Ceremony Opens Wolf Creek Indian Village & Museum
Members of the Delaware (Munsee) Nation performed a traditional Blessing Ceremony April 1st at this years opening of the Wolf Creek Indian Village and Museum in Bastian, VA.

The traditional ceremony led by Chief of the Turtle Clan, Jack "3 Bears" Eisel and assisted by Chief of the Turkey Clan, Darrell "Two Wolves" Schwarz was held in the recreated Village site.
Chief "3 Bears" said of the Indian Village, "This is all sacred land. We are still here and we are still using it."
"First People were here long before the white men came, said Chief Two Wolves, "The ancestors would be very unhappy if they were forgotten."

Joyce Cheekis Eisel, said, "Everyone should be taught about the First People of Virginia, that is the importance of the village."
"When we pray, we all pray to the same creator," Penny Plummer, Retail Sales Manager said. "We just have different ways of expressing that."
For her part of the prayer, Denise Smith, Museum and Village Manager, noted that people will enter the village from all walks of life. "I prayed the blessing to help people have a positive experience in the village and leave with new knowledge."

“We are pleased to be extending our hours of operation to include Monday this year and are excited about the rebuilding in progress” said Willie Howlett, Bland County Administrator. “This is truly a unique destination for both local residents and visitors to Bland County.

Members of the Delegation were Peggy "Goodwin" Cornell, Tim Cornell
Jack "3 Bears Eisel" Darrell "Two Wolves" Schwarz, Jaime "Golden Otter" Booher, Roy "Red Hawk" Jones, Karen "Grandma Spirit Woman" Jones, Joyce Cheekis Eisel, Lois, "White Dove" Goodwin, Oscar "Lost Wolfe" Goodwin, Raymond "Lightfoot" Goodwin and Carolyn Tomey.

#7 Nov-17-2011 01:10:am

Suckachsinheet

I've never heard of any of those characters. Must be yet another Delaware (Munsee) Nation; go figure...roll

#8 Nov-17-2011 06:45:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Suckachsinheet wrote:

I've never heard of any of those characters. Must be yet another Delaware (Munsee) Nation; go figure...roll

I never heard of them either. I'd bet they are another off shoot of LS's though.

#9 Sep-03-2012 11:14:pm

Suckachsinheet

A visitor contacted me via e-mail to offer some clarification on this group. As we theorized, they are LS alumni:

The group, titled New Bulltown Village Munsee Delaware, Inc was started by Jack 'Threebears' Eisel.  He and his (I guess) wife Joyce, used to be part of Billy Little Soldier's group up in Ohio.
Jack Eisel turned out to be a crook and supposedly has been replaced as 'Chief' by Red Hawk - Roy Jones.  That 'Spirit Woman' is Roy Jones' woman, as they are not married. (Funny isn't it, since one of the requirements of being Chief is that the man has to be married.)
For awhile, I would go to their 'tribal' meetings, but things did not feel right.
I have had nothing to do with the group for over a year. Not since Chief Threebears conducted - now get this - a pipe ceremony, in public, on the filthy sidewalk in front of the Chinese Restaurant in Elkview.  It was Roy Jones' pipe that they used.
Their disrespect for the sacred pipe sickened me.  They are nothing more than some people 'playing Indian' and bastardizing Native Spirituality.

#10 Sep-04-2012 05:30:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Thanks. This is interesting I've gotten similar emails (not the same person, or players) from visitors here. There must be something in the water. hmm

#11 Nov-07-2013 07:17:am

NanticokePiney

(Funny isn't it, since one of the requirements of being Chief is that the man has to be married)

yikes...........

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#12 Nov-07-2013 04:54:pm

Ohelemapit
Website

NanticokePiney wrote:

(Funny isn't it, since one of the requirements of being Chief is that the man has to be married)

yikes...........

Does being married more than once give me an advantage?

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Native American.

/pb.php?url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/XSAS44/xsassig.gif

#13 Nov-07-2013 08:18:pm

NanticokePiney

Ohelemapit wrote:

NanticokePiney wrote:

yikes...........

There's no such thing as a Lenape marriage. We just shacked and shagged. wink

#14 Nov-08-2013 03:36:am

Ohelemapit
Website

NanticokePiney wrote:

Ohelemapit wrote:

NanticokePiney wrote:

yikes...........

OK my mistake, I was unclear, let me re-phrase that, tongue  does being shacked and shagged twice give me an advantage.. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/wedding/t5502.gif

Last edited by Ohelemapit (Nov-08-2013 03:36:am)

Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Native American.

/pb.php?url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/XSAS44/xsassig.gif

#15 Nov-08-2013 06:58:am

NanticokePiney

Ohelemapit wrote:

NanticokePiney wrote:

Ohelemapit wrote:

OK my mistake, I was unclear, let me re-phrase that, tongue  does being shacked and shagged twice give me an advantage.. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/wedding/t5502.gif

Yes! yikes

I must be a Grand Chief ! I shacked and shagged a whole swan princess troupe from a Pennsylvania ballet. tongue Then Treehugger beat me up so that must of been my ceremonial gauntlet. yikes

#16 Nov-08-2013 10:22:pm

Suckachsinheet

That must explain why LS is a grand chief. No counting how much shacking and shagging he's done over the years. He probly even invoked the Sky Father/Earth Mother score a few times... roll

#17 Nov-09-2013 07:23:am

NanticokePiney

Suckachsinheet wrote:

That must explain why LS is a grand chief. No counting how much shacking and shagging he's done over the years. He probly even invoked the Sky Father/Earth Mother score a few times... roll

Ugly chicks don't count......

Board footer