Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can you tell me about the Woodland Indians who baptized me in 1968?

#1 Jun-22-2011 12:38:am

mildred
Visitor

Can you tell me about the Woodland Indians who baptized me in 1968?

Greetings,

I was baptized in 1968 when I was one year old in northern Michigan. I am told by a friend who saw the photo of this day that the woman, Barbara, was possibly Woodland Indian. It is very, very important to me to find out who this woman is holding me in the photo (my avatar). She may be about 60 years old today. I would like to know more about her tribe.

It is also important for me to learn what the baptism means. I was given a name, but my relatives probably don't remember it correctly. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank You, Thank you,
Mildred B.

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."
Joseph Campbell

#2 Jun-22-2011 02:35:pm

Chevy

Re: Can you tell me about the Woodland Indians who baptized me in 1968?

I'm at a loss. All I can think of is some denomination that baptizes infants: Catholic, and I'm not sure who else.

#3 Jun-23-2011 12:07:am

Suckachsinheet

Re: Can you tell me about the Woodland Indians who baptized me in 1968?

I also can only mine clues from the picture and statement. The man facing away from the camera is "dressed Native" (i.e. wearing regalia). The feather bussle next to Barbara is "Plains style". Many Native nations have become predominantly Christian (Cherokee-Baptist, Lenape-Methodist, Lakota-Episcopal/Catholic, etc.), though many are recovering their Native spirituality as well and some have never left it ("predominantly" might be an overstatement). Anyhow, my best guess for northern Michigan would be Ojibwe (Chippewa). But baptism is not a Native practice; it still would be church-related, a colonialized thing.

Last edited by Suckachsinheet (Jun-23-2011 12:09:am)

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can you tell me about the Woodland Indians who baptized me in 1968?

Board footer