Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 May-15-2011 04:53:pm

dawsontony
Visitor

People claiming to be Native American writers.

I hope this is the right place to post this.  I like reading up on American Indian history, and find your culture very fascinating.  My problem is that I no sooner order and read a book that I sometimes find out later that the person who wrote the book really does not have any Indian blood or ancestory.  Do you have any guidelines, advice, or list of names on these people that I can use.  I am not trying to create any troubles here, but when I spend good money, like an average of $35 on a book, and then find the writer is n ot Indian, or never lived on the reservations, I feel violated.  I have more respect for those who let you know up front that they are  not Indian.  It is bad enough that I have attended some pow wows, or Indian festivals, and later found out these groupd were not Nations, or tribes.  Any help will be appreciated!

#2 May-15-2011 09:38:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: People claiming to be Native American writers.

You could start with our Hall of Shame/Who Are They topic...

http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=35

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#3 May-15-2011 11:27:pm

dawsontony
Visitor

Thank you, Sukachsinheet.  I did see one name, Timothy Barrus, whom I recognized.   I almost ordered his book Genoronimo's Bones last year.  Glad I did not.  Made note of all other authors you mentioned.  This is really a very nice site you have here.  I hope I did not overstay my welcome, but I did kind of browse around a bit, and really enjoyed some of the good things I read in posts on Six Nations and other ones.  I am nothing but a Native American history buff.  I enjoy the art work, and the teachings.  If it is ok I hope to be able to browse more and read more.  Thanks, Tony

#4 May-16-2011 02:42:am

Chevy

Welcome from me, Tony.

Board footer