Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jan-21-2011 10:42:am

runner85
Visitor

ancestory?

He all,
I'm new to this forum but as I have been reading other information on here, I have developed a few questions.
I have photographic and documented proof of my Lenape ancestors and genealogy through my grandmother. My great grandmother's family moved from eastern PA to Ohio in the late 1800's and didn't sign any paperwork declaring they were native. After my great grandmother grew up she moved back to PA with my great grandfather and that's where my family has been ever since. I had been looking for other Lenape in the area and came across the LNPA, but have heard conflicting stories about them. I have matched some of my ancestors with members of the nation but I'm confused about why they are considered "fakes" by some people. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'm just looking to share some information and stories that have been past down to me with other Lenape people.
Thank you!

#2 Jan-21-2011 11:24:am

sschkaak

Re: ancestory?

runner85:

You gotta give us something to work with.  You give us zero evidence of your Lenape ancestry.  If we don't see the evidence, we don't accept the claim.  You may be a Lenape descendant, but how are we supposed to know that unless you show us how it's so? 

We invite LNP members to share their evidence for Lenape ancestry, as well.

Last edited by sschkaak (Jan-21-2011 11:39:am)

#3 Jan-21-2011 09:32:pm

Suckachsinheet

runner85 wrote:

I had been looking for other Lenape in the area and came across the LNPA, but have heard conflicting stories about them. I have matched some of my ancestors with members of the nation but I'm confused about why they are considered "fakes" by some people. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If you really would like some insight, read through this thread: http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5801

They sell themselves as knowledgeable and authentic and then make grave errors in their exhibition of culture, language and tradition.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Jan-30-2011 08:11:pm

sschkaak

Hath our runner run off?  I was looking forward to seeing the "documented proof" mentioned.

#5 Jan-31-2011 05:57:pm

lenape_eela
Visitor

pakwehele!

#6 Jan-31-2011 07:19:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

There ain't no documented proof......least that's my opinion.

Never has been, and never will be, from anyone associated with the LNP

#7 Jan-31-2011 10:01:pm

Suckachsinheet

To be fair, runner never said he/she was associated with the LNP by anything other than acquaintance. They only said they had matched ancestors with ancestors of members of the LNP. Nevertheless, the documented proof has yet to be produced.

#8 Feb-07-2011 06:34:pm

runner85
Visitor

As I don't have personal access to the internet I only get online when I make it out to the public library and with the weather out here lately it's been difficult, but I think I've read enough of these posts and from the information about the LNPA to make my skin crawl.  I wasn't aware that you all needed such detailed documented proof to make someone feel welcomed, and though I have proof and would gladly offer it to anyone who asked, I don't think I'll be returning.  There are so few of us around and it's a shame that we treat each other with such hostility and disrespect.

#9 Feb-07-2011 06:47:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

runner85 wrote:

As I don't have personal access to the internet I only get online when I make it out to the public library and with the weather out here lately it's been difficult, but I think I've read enough of these posts and from the information about the LNPA to make my skin crawl.  I wasn't aware that you all needed such detailed documented proof to make someone feel welcomed, and though I have proof and would gladly offer it to anyone who asked, I don't think I'll be returning.  There are so few of us around and it's a shame that we treat each other with such hostility and disrespect.

I'll offer my apology, I haven't been in the best of moods lately. I'm sure when you read around here you'll get the gist that we get a little suspicious at times. So I am sorry, and if you'd like...I'll start over..

Welcome.

#10 Feb-08-2011 10:10:pm

Suckachsinheet

runner85 wrote:

I wasn't aware that you all needed such detailed documented proof to make someone feel welcomed, and though I have proof and would gladly offer it to anyone who asked, I don't think I'll be returning.  There are so few of us around and it's a shame that we treat each other with such hostility and disrespect.

You may not ever read this, if you never return, but I have no documented proof of anything except a fascination with the Lenape for more than a decade. No one requires documented proof to be welcomed on this forum, until you say you have it. There are so many people in PA and OH that say they have ancestry but cannot document it that such a claim is usually met with suspicion and a request to produce some form of documentation. Documentation affords you a position of legitimacy, such that you might know what you are talking about.

My tag line says it all: I am "Wenape as I wannabe" so I try not to make any more of myself than I am (but like Popeye, I yam what I yam).

#11 Feb-09-2011 07:49:am

sschkaak

Suckachsinheet wrote:

"No one requires documented proof to be welcomed on this forum, until you say you have it."

Excellent observation!

Board footer