Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Dec-21-2010 02:28:pm

Tree Beard
Visitor

Lenape vegetable seed

Our Big Horn Lenape People, we have Oklahoma blue corn seed, a blue corn we have selected and purified from 1600's multicolred star corn, we have star corn(multicolored corn), a white corn and popcorn. We also have a red/white bean similar to anasazi bean, and a black seeded green bean(which can be used for a dried black bean). Also original tobacco that never left the East here. These are all Old Lenape varieties that have miraculously survived; all except the one type of blue corn which we have carefully selected and purified over a period of about 10 years. If anyone would like to help us keep these varieties growing please contact us at: hittak@yahoo.com.

Kenamo! Hitakonanoolaxk/Treebeard

#2 Dec-21-2010 02:37:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Lenape vegetable seed

Tree Beard wrote:

Our Big Horn Lenape People, we have Oklahoma blue corn seed, a blue corn we have selected and purified from 1600's multicolred star corn, we have star corn(multicolored corn), a white corn and popcorn. We also have a red/white bean similar to anasazi bean, and a black seeded green bean(which can be used for a dried black bean). Also original tobacco that never left the East here. These are all Old Lenape varieties that have miraculously survived; all except the one type of blue corn which we have carefully selected and purified over a period of about 10 years. If anyone would like to help us keep these varieties growing please contact us at: hittak@yahoo.com.

Kenamo! Hitakonanoolaxk/Treebeard

Hello

Who is 'us'?

Edit: because I used the @#$% quote key.

#3 Dec-21-2010 10:30:pm

Suckachsinheet

"us" is the Big Horn Lenape Nation, in Chemung NY. Treebeard provided me with many of these seeds many years ago, and I still have them. I have grown them and saved seed from each harvest. They are heirloom seeds and they produce interesting crops; I grew the tobacco for several years and still use it to do ceremony. The blue corn and the white corn are the same corn that Jim Rementer gave us links to get samples of a while back (I have some of that seed now, as well).

Regardless of what you think or have been told to think about Treebeard, this is heirloom seed. It should be propagated and preserved.

Last edited by Suckachsinheet (Dec-21-2010 10:42:pm)

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Dec-21-2010 10:44:pm

Tree Beard
Visitor

Who is Treehugger? Us is Big Horn Lenape, once in Chemung,N.Y. but now in Owego,N.Y. with our Council Seat at the Turtle's Back in VanEtten, N.Y. We have been around for a long time.
Just now getting into the internet. Our Chief is Gene Hodge/Tamakwanaxk from Berkshire,N.Y. The only other Lenape group that is older than us is Eastern Delaware Nation and the Ramapo, that we know of.
     Thank you Suckachsinheet. Write sometime: hittak@yahoo.com

#5 Dec-22-2010 05:45:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Thanks.

Board footer