Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Dec-19-2010 07:27:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Oh my __ / Wind Spirit Drum

To be honest, I have had no energy to do anything  but I was doing some research in the craziness in Jersey (and the connections to groups) and ran across these videos. Uhhh enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEXv1xRU … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQj8XUowlQ

#2 Dec-19-2010 08:07:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: Oh my __ / Wind Spirit Drum

I don't know all of those people, but the main ones are UELN. If you've never seen him, the guy in the yellow turban is Bluefeather. They are being Cherokee for this production. Windwalker is quite a piece of work, but she is talented. I can't believe they went all the way to New Mexico do this...

I watched the actual video for "Trail of Tears" too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf21i3eL … re=related) Aside from the wannabe issues, what do you think of the production values Bonnie? Were they even close to doing it right? Were the lyrics actually Cherokee?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#3 Dec-20-2010 05:24:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

actually i watched these videos and if the guy in the yellow turban is named bluefeather , well its not the same bluefeather as the man with that name in the ueln, nor are any of the people in those videos ueln. the lady windwalker used to be a member long ago but has not been affiliated with the ueln in  many YEARS. this may be some of the problem with the misconceptions i have been reading about on here. if anyone would like to see a picture of bluefeather, or any other member of the ueln to see if these are the people you think they are, ill send one to you, but i can tell you the man in the video is NOT the bluefeather that is with the UELN thank you

#4 Dec-20-2010 05:54:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

dragonfly06 wrote:

actually i watched these videos and if the guy in the yellow turban is named bluefeather , well its not the same bluefeather as the man with that name in the ueln, nor are any of the people in those videos ueln. the lady windwalker used to be a member long ago but has not been affiliated with the ueln in  many YEARS. this may be some of the problem with the misconceptions i have been reading about on here. if anyone would like to see a picture of bluefeather, or any other member of the ueln to see if these are the people you think they are, ill send one to you, but i can tell you the man in the video is NOT the bluefeather that is with the UELN thank you

I'd appreciate a picture sent to my email, you have it. What misconceptions are you suggesting we have? Just curious.

#5 Dec-20-2010 07:41:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

just the misconceptions of who are members of ueln, for the most part because alot of what has been said of us, wasnt us so i figure it was a mistaken identity thing. and ill send the pic right now, if it doesnt go through let me know ill tell you where to go see it

#6 Dec-20-2010 08:25:pm

bls926
Administrator

Where to begin? These videos left me feeling a little . . . not sure what's the right word. I had no idea Wind Spirit Drum was so iffy.

Windwalker is Cherokee, Lenape, Mi'kmaq, Oglala Lakota. Spirit Buffalo is Cherokee and Mi'kmaq. They bill their music as Eastern Woodland. Why are they dressed like they're Plains or Southwest Indians? Buckskin, turquoise, a bone breast plate, Navajo blankets?

Yes, Windwalker is talented. I don't speak Cherokee, so I can't say how accurate her use of the language is.

Why they chose New Mexico for the location for the Trail of Tears video defies logic. It loses all credibility. They used a long-stemmed white rose as a Cherokee Rose. The real thing probably wasn't avalable in New Mexico. If they'd filmed their video where the Trail of Tears actually took place, they'd have had an abundance of Cherokee Roses. They grow wild all over the southeast from North Carolina/Georgia all the way to Oklahoma. We even have them here in Texas.

Spirit Buffalo is a sundancer and sundance chief. He's the Lenape's 2nd Chief. A little confusing . . . He's a Cherokee/Mi'kmaq who is a sundancing chief of the Lenape?

Windwalker is a Native American healer and a licensed massage therapist.

WIND SPIRIT DRUM
Native American Flute and Drum Performance Group

http://www.windspiritdrum.com/About_Us.html

Wind Spirit Drum - Facebook

Wind Spirit Drum has won NAMA's in 2009 and 2010.

"Grandfather", Ancient Winds
2010 Native American Music Award Winner
for “Best Single Song" Recording

"Amazing Grace", Lenape Spirits
2009 Native American Music Award Winner
for “Best Gospel Inspirational” Recording

Lenape Spirits
Nominated for 2009 Indian Summer Music Award for “Best Traditional” Album

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=2 … 689?v=info

Their page was suggested to me a while back and I liked it. Now, I don't know.

Last edited by bls926 (Dec-20-2010 08:33:pm)

#7 Dec-20-2010 09:08:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

dragonfly06 wrote:

just the misconceptions of who are members of ueln, for the most part because alot of what has been said of us, wasnt us so i figure it was a mistaken identity thing. and ill send the pic right now, if it doesnt go through let me know ill tell you where to go see it

I haven't got an email yet, i'm sure you still have it but just in case its woodlandindians@gmail.com. Thanks

#8 Dec-20-2010 09:11:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Windwalker is Cherokee, Lenape, Mi'kmaq, Oglala Lakota. Spirit Buffalo is Cherokee and Mi'kmaq. They bill their music as Eastern Woodland. Why are they dressed like they're Plains or Southwest Indians? Buckskin, turquoise, a bone breast plate, Navajo blankets?

That was my biggest problem, bls.

Edit to add a little WTF????

http://www.windspiritdrum.com/Services.html

IN ADDITION TO CONCERT PERFORMANCES

WIND SPIRIT DRUM
offer services for the following:
Lenape Spirirts Medicine Wheel Workshops. Teachings on how to balance your daily life and learn to heal yourself
Home parties, providing entertainment immersed in Native American culture.
House Blessings
Lectures on Healing properties, including Women's Health and Healing parties
Licensed Ministers for Native American weddings, children's blessings and funerals.
Native American educational storytelling for all ages. Teaching at schools, libraries and civic organizations
Siminars on massage and the ancient ways of reflexology
Including traditional fact finding services.
Drum making classes
Native American music scores and performances

#9 Dec-20-2010 11:23:pm

Suckachsinheet

dragonfly06 wrote:

actually i watched these videos and if the guy in the yellow turban is named bluefeather , well its not the same bluefeather as the man with that name in the ueln, nor are any of the people in those videos ueln. the lady windwalker used to be a member long ago but has not been affiliated with the ueln in  many YEARS.

I haven't crossed paths with the UELN since 2003, so Windwalker may have moved on. I can't say I positively remember Spirit Buffalo, since I know so many pretendians who look like him. The man in the yellow turban looks very much like the Billy Harford (Bluefeather) I knew in the UELN between 1998-2003; I'd be curious to see a current picture too.

#10 Dec-21-2010 09:27:am

Suckachsinheet

dragonfly06 wrote:

the lady windwalker used to be a member long ago but has not been affiliated with the ueln in  many YEARS.

On second thought dragonfly, how does one do this? Don't get me wrong, I USED to be a member of several ersatz Lenape nations/villages/clubs. But really, how does that work?

Real Indians (y'know, the CDIB kind) don't have that option. They are born in to whatever nation they are born into, and there they are. They can get disgusted with the leadership and stop showing up for functions and elections and such, but they still are part of that nation. Y'know: "When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way; from your first cigarette to your last dying day". A Bartlesville Delaware can't get disgusted and go become an Anadarko, or move to Canada and become Munsee.

If I remember correctly, some of those titles Windwalker tosses off were UELN titles. How does one stop being a nation's Turkey Clan Mother? That's an important position which takes a lifetime to assume; how do you just walk away from that because of personal differences or boredom? And, if she did, what nation did she run off and become a Turkey Clan Mother for?

One of the things that stopped me in my path with all of the nations I was associated with is the way that people who don't know Lenape from Lenovo come to these nations with stories of their rumored Indian ancestry and within a few years they are a chief, clan mother and/or medicine person. Been there, done that, soiled the t-shirt. And then we Wenape wonder why we can't get any love from the recognized Delaware... sad

#11 Dec-21-2010 03:40:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

ok, well ill put it this way then, she is no longer walking the same path as us, she has chosen a different one for herself, we dont see her anymore at all. i have been with the ueln only since 05 but since that time i have never met her.

#12 Dec-21-2010 03:45:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

i just resent the pic i hope you get it

#13 Dec-21-2010 03:51:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

dragonfly06 wrote:

i just resent the pic i hope you get it

Thanks I got it. I also have the video on freeze frame right now. I have to say there is a close resemblance. Of course I won't post that picture publicly. hmm

#14 Dec-21-2010 03:55:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Sorry for the double post here. I have to say that as I am enlarging these and looking at the brow line, shape of eye formation, cleft in chin, and other features ... this appears to be the same man... or a brother??

#15 Dec-21-2010 04:13:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

yeah but look at the hair color and mustache  plus bluefeather has a PRONOUNCED limp almost as if one of his legs is ALOT shorter than the other

#16 Dec-21-2010 04:19:pm

dragonfly06
Visitor

i know im gonna email them at the website on the video and ask who it was, ill bcc you and get you the response too

#17 Dec-21-2010 10:24:pm

Suckachsinheet

dragonfly06 wrote:

ok, well ill put it this way then, she is no longer walking the same path as us, she has chosen a different one for herself, we dont see her anymore at all. i have been with the ueln only since 05 but since that time i have never met her.

No, I got that--but that don't make it right. And there are, no doubt, a slew of people in the same position. They came to the UELN (or some other "nation"), some even got titles, but they got bored or peeved and moved on to another group, and then another, and another. And that should not be possible. But if you are not born into it, they are all just fan clubs for the Lenape, where we all get to dress like our favorite Lenape.

Several "nations" I was associated with were and are cults of personality; controlled closely by one central person (or small core of people) who pretty much lives out the dictum: "My way or the highway". Most of them didn't have enough people to qualify as a "band" no less a "nation", with a revolving door on the clubhouse; it is hard to keep anyone with half a brain clueless for very long.

#18 Nov-15-2011 04:50:pm

lenape_eela
Visitor

yikes, i never knew us lenape people had clan mothers?  maybe our traditional stories bypassed that teaching. lol

Board footer