You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Dec-07-2010 10:09:am

bls926
Administrator

U-lo-gi-lo: A Cherokee community in Delaware County

U-lo-gi-lo: A Cherokee community in Delaware County 

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/uploads/2010/11/Dec10.com01.CloudCreek3.jc-L.jpg
The current Clouds Creek Baptist Church and community building is located about seven miles northwest of Colcord, Okla.
JAMI CUSTER/CHEROKEE PHOENIX 

By JAMI CUSTER
Reporter
Mon,  Nov 29, 2010

CLOUD CREEK, Okla. – Cloud Creek or U-lo-gi-lo, as it’s pronounced in Cherokee, is a small community in Delaware County made up of several families.

On state maps, it’s officially Cloud Creek, but to residents it’s Clouds Creek.

Some locals say the 10-acre community got its name from a man who lived in the area.

“Well what I heard, them old people I used to talk to down there…used to be some guy named Clouds Creek used to lived down there, and that’s when they start calling it Clouds Creek,” Bud Foreman, a community resident and United Keetoowah Band citizen, said.

According to the 2000 Census, there were 86 people living in the community, half of them Native American. But since 2000, more homes have been built and more people have moved in.

Foreman, who has lived in the community since birth in 1939, said over the years he’s noticed many changes, mostly all good.

“It used to be bad roads. Back where we were raised it’s changed. It’s all cleared up now with fences and ranches,” he said.

He said when he was about 7 years old he started school, to which he walked to and from daily.

“We didn’t have no car. All we had were two horses, but no wagon. So we just all walk.”

His sister, Cherokee Nation citizen Mary Creekkiller, said it’s different now because Cloud Creek is part of Jay Public Schools, so a bus picks up and drops off students.

Creekkiller, like her parents, siblings and other Cherokees in the area, only spoke Cherokee in the home. She did not speak English until she started school.

“We always spoke (Cherokee)…I was just telling the kids the other day at school…that when I went to school I didn’t know very much English and that’s the way it was,” she said.

Foreman said their mother was about 67 before she could speak English.

“We brought it home to her from school. She always talked Cherokee and so did my dad, but he talked real good English, too,” he said.

In small communities back then, the siblings said, families had to find work where they could. Creekkiller said the family worked hard. Their parents did some farming and odd jobs.

Foreman said he used to make posts and railroad ties.

“We used to climb that hill, me and my brother, and cut trees down in the hollow and dad started making ties in that holler,” he said. “We made about 20 ties sometimes…each tie was about $2.”

But the constant staple in community was its church. Clouds Creek Baptist Church in its present location is located about 7 miles northwest of Colcord. The church body has been around for 90 years, and according to the church’s history books, it has been in three communities – High Spring, Taquah and Cloud Creek.

Currently, about 18 people attend the church and community meetings held at the church.

Some of the best memories Foreman and Creekkiller said they had growing up included family and the outdoors.

“Really what I liked was going hunting every day…coon, possum…me and brothers and dad and cousins…those are good memories,” he said.

Creekkiller said growing up with her cousins was something she enjoyed.

“Having my cousins around all the time, playing and going to church…those are good memories,” she said.

She said back then everybody knew everybody because four or five families made up the community. Today, she said many have “gone on,” but the community still exists.

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/25399/Article.aspx

Board footer