You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Oct-16-2010 11:17:am

bls926
Administrator

Cherokee potter to host Gilcrease Museum workshops

Cherokee potter to host Gilcrease Museum workshops 

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/uploads/2010/10/Nov10.nws.Hanna.wc-M.jpg
Cherokee potter Crystal Hanna helps a student during a pottery class in Tahlequah, Okla. ARCHIVE PHOTO 

By WILL CHAVEZ
Senior Reporter
Tues,  Oct 12, 2010

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. – Cherokee artist Crystal Hanna will present two Southeastern pottery workshops on Oct. 30 and Nov. 6 at the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa.

“In the workshop, I teach the students how to process native clay and slips and basic coil building with the focus on Southeastern designs and decorating techniques,” Hanna said.

A final session on Nov. 13 will be held at her Sapulpa home with a traditional wood firing of pottery and a potluck meal.

Hanna has created Southeastern and Mississippian-style pottery for more than a decade, earning numerous awards. She is one of few Cherokee artists creating contemporary pottery using designs, shapes and decorating techniques utilized in prehistoric Southeastern and Mississippian styles.

She exhibits and sells her works at several major Indian art markets throughout the country, including the Santa Fe Indian Market and the Heard Museum in Phoenix. Hanna also shows and sells locally at the Cherokee Heritage Center in Tahlequah and Five Civilized Tribes Museum in Muskogee.

She studied pottery making with Cherokee National Treasure and master potter Anna Mitchell, of Vinita, and believes in Mitchell’s mission to continue the Cherokee people’s pottery heritage.

“It is a great honor for me to share what I have learned thus far through these workshops,” Hanna said.

For more information or to register for a workshop, call Gilcrease Director of Education and Public Programs Lannette Coppage at (918) 596-2737 or e-mail lanette-coppage@utulsa.edu. The deadline to sign up for a pottery workshop is Oct. 15.

http://www.cherokeephoenix.org/25294/Article.aspx

Board footer