Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jul-18-2010 06:41:pm

Suckachsinheet

"To be" or not "to be"

Ray:

In reviewing the lessons I couldn't find anywhere where you addressed the verbal form for "being". Ironically, that is where most languages [that I have studied] start the discussion of verbs.

Is there an "I am", "you are", etc. verb form, or is it largely understood by context and other markers?

The exact form I was lookiing for was "I want to be [noun]"

Last edited by Suckachsinheet (Jul-18-2010 06:43:pm)

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#2 Jul-18-2010 07:26:pm

sschkaak

Re: "To be" or not "to be"

Suckachsinheet wrote:

Ray:

In reviewing the lessons I couldn't find anywhere where you addressed the verbal form for "being". Ironically, that is where most languages [that I have studied] start the discussion of verbs.

Is there an "I am", "you are", etc. verb form, or is it largely understood by context and other markers?

The exact form I was lookiing for was "I want to be [noun]"

lol   Looking for a way to say, "Wannabe," in Lenape? 

There is no verb, "to be," in Lenape.  It is understood in expressions like "Ni lenno" ('I am a man'), or "neka ochqueu" ('she is a woman').  In most cases, however, it is included in the verb:  "n'dappi" ('I am there'); or, "pendaquot" ('it is heard'). 

You can't say just 'I want to be.'  You have to say what it is you want to be.  Usually, such expressions include the preverb, "n'gatta" ('I want to"), followed by a verb in the subordinative mode of the independent order:  "n'gatta Lenapewin" ('I want to be a Delaware Indian').

#3 Jul-18-2010 11:01:pm

Suckachsinheet

How does a noun become a verb by adding an ending?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#4 Jul-18-2010 11:38:pm

sschkaak

Suckachsinheet wrote:

How does a noun become a verb by adding an ending?

By adding an ending.  Any noun can be made into a verb by suffixing the proper ending.  Some such verbs were used in the language, frequently.  "Lenapewin" ('be a Delaware Indian') is one of those.  It's an animate intransitive verb.

#5 Oct-04-2010 09:01:am

sschkaak

smile

Last edited by sschkaak (Oct-04-2010 01:02:pm)

Board footer