Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Feb-02-2010 10:52:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Herbal Remedies May Be Risky With Heart Drugs

Full Article: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news … eart-drugs

Feb. 1, 2010 -- Patients taking heart drugs are at risk for potentially dangerous interactions when they also take herbal supplements such as ginkgo biloba, St. John's wort, and garlic, an analysis shows.

Investigators with the Mayo Clinic identified herbal and alternative products that they say should be avoided by patients with heart disease.

They claim the products could cause problems when taken with drugs commonly prescribed to lower blood pressure, control cholesterol, stabilize heart rhythms, or prevent blood clots.

The research analysis appears in the Feb. 9 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Researcher Arshad Jahangir, MD, tells WebMD that heart patients often fail to tell their doctors about the alternative remedies they take because they don't recognize the potential for harm.

"Many people think that natural is synonymous with safe," he says. "Many of these herbal remedies have been used for centuries, but they may not be safe in the current era when used by patients taking many other medications."

#2 Feb-02-2010 11:32:am

lenape

Re: Herbal Remedies May Be Risky With Heart Drugs

I saw a report on this last night on the news.  As some of you know I use a lot of herbs rather than prescription drugs.  *In MY opinion* the dangers are no different than the dangers of mixing medications that are counteractive.  As they say in the report, many folks just don't tell their doctors about herbal supplements.  Many herbs are what doctors would consider "blood thinners/purifiers", and many herbal compounds contain Nettles, of one form/species or another which is very high in vitamin K, which is known to thin the blood, as does any "dark green, leafy vegetation", many of which grow in ones garden, dark lettuces, cooking greens, ETC.  Also many of the compound spices also contain Nettles, as an active or minor ingredient.

Many believe this is again another "hit on the head" for those who practice "natural remedies", such as "Homeopaths" and "Herbalists", because many more people are starting to look to this rather than prescription drugs, and it is no wonder, have ya heard the warnings in some of the ads on TV?  The problems and "possible" side effects are worse than the symptoms being treated!!!  mad

In part the problem is that many folks who don't know what they are doing are messing with the plants and this gives the plants "a bad name", so to speak!  Another part is exactly what they say, people think "natural" means "safe", which is foolish!!

#3 Feb-02-2010 11:38:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

the dangers are no different than the dangers of mixing medications that are counteractive.

Exactly!

#4 Feb-02-2010 03:36:pm

Chevy

I like "Homeopaths" and "Herbalists", and herbal remedies. I know a person needs to know what they're doing.

Prescription drugs make me very leery. I've had bad reactions, and I almost have a phobia when it comes to taking meds. There are meds i take, and I'm glad to have them, but I'm pretty cautious when it comes to starting a new prescription med.

Board footer