#1 Dec-22-2009 02:23:pm

lenape

for the Munsee folks..

Here is a good link to Munsee grammar, written by John O'Meara:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jomea … see_Drafts

#2 Dec-22-2009 02:50:pm

sschkaak

Re: for the Munsee folks..

Thanks for posting a link to this sketch.  (I wish he'd complete his Delaware Reference Grammar.)

#3 Dec-22-2009 03:22:pm

sschkaak

O'Meara wrote (if he did write all of this--I'll check with him):

"The name "Lenape" that is sometimes used in English for Delaware properly only refers to Unami."  And, he refers to the source of this statement as Marianne Mithun, an Algonquian linguist. 

I have to question this statement.  In O'Meara's own Delaware-English / English-Delaware Dictionary, he has the entry, "lunaapeew," with the meaning, "Delaware Indian."

Last edited by sschkaak (Dec-22-2009 10:47:pm)

#4 Dec-22-2009 03:30:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

O'Meara wrote (if he did write all of this--I'll check with him):

"The name "Lenape" that is sometimes used in English for Delaware properly only refers to Unami."  And, he refers to the source of this statement as Mariannne Mithun, an Algonquian linguist. 

I have to question this statement.  In O'Meara's own Delaware-English / English-Delaware Dictionary, he has the entry, "lunaapeew," with the meaning, "Delaware Indian."

Thanks Sschkaak, I did not see that!  I just "assumed" he wrote it all, but you know what they say about /ass-u-me/ing......neutral

#5 Dec-22-2009 03:38:pm

sschkaak

He may have written it without thinking.  However, Wiki is often "edited" by other people, not the author, as you know.

#6 Dec-22-2009 04:21:pm

sschkaak

I want to press this point about who did, or did not, or who does, or does not, call themselves Lenape--because I've been debating Marshall Becker on this point, for years.  It's important to know.  In his article, "The Ethnohistorical Implications of Early Delaware Linguistic Materials," in Man in the Northeast, No. 1 (1971), Ives Goddard wrote, "There are about 30 to 40 Canadian Delawares living today [i.e., 1971--R.W.] who speak this dialect..."  "Most of them ...prefer to label themselves Delaware (Munsee [len:a:pe:w]...)."  And, "The Oklahoma Delawares ...call themselves Delaware or [lena:p:e]."

So, both Munsee and Unami Delaware call themselves by cognates of the name we write as "Lenape," in English.  When I use the name, "Lenape," I use it for everyone who called themselves that, in their own language and dialects--Munsee and Unami and Unalachtgo alike.

Board footer