Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#101 Jan-01-2011 11:45:pm

Suckachsinheet

Re: "United Eastern Lenape Nation"

oldsalty wrote:

What right has any Wannabee Tribe got to convert people to Native American? Thats a fraud and a cult in my view!!

You did realize my comment about "wannabe principles" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, didn't you?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#102 Jan-02-2011 04:25:am

oldsalty

Suckachsinheet wrote:

oldsalty wrote:

What right has any Wannabee Tribe got to convert people to Native American? Thats a fraud and a cult in my view!!

You did realize my comment about "wannabe principles" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, didn't you?

YEP!!!smile

#103 Feb-06-2011 12:41:pm

jasminevandenburg
Visitor

dancingdragonfly06 wrote:

i just wanted to let everyone know, the UELN is taking legal issue with "darren, amanda, and all the others" AKA nick vocca, please accept my appologies for their disrespecting your site because of their petty grievance with us, i hope the legal action will stop it. if any one would like to know ANYTHING about the UELN from the TRUE members, all you have to do is message me, ill be happy to tell you the facts , but i wont go into it on the forum, this isnt the place, once again please accept my appologies

#104 Feb-06-2011 01:38:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

jasminevandenburg wrote:

dancingdragonfly06 wrote:

i just wanted to let everyone know, the UELN is taking legal issue with "darren, amanda, and all the others" AKA nick vocca, please accept my appologies for their disrespecting your site because of their petty grievance with us, i hope the legal action will stop it. if any one would like to know ANYTHING about the UELN from the TRUE members, all you have to do is message me, ill be happy to tell you the facts , but i wont go into it on the forum, this isnt the place, once again please accept my appologies

???????????? roll

#105 May-19-2011 04:13:pm

followtheredroad
Visitor

this is going to seem like it doesn't belong in here but bear with me....
   all my life i have felt lost misguided... a few years ago i met some people who walk the red road and we started talking about what its like to walk the red road. We talked about a lot of things for many hours. As i started spending time with these people i realized that honoring creator, mother earth everything that i was told was wear i belong...i am a very spiritual person and the "spirituality" of this way of life started calling to me......
now my questions to you folks is this....

why is it that the United Eastern Lenape Nation is so  bad for wanting to walk the red road? If they are doing things wrong why not offer a helping hand? instead of bashing and ripping them apart and not coming face to face with them? what is they have done wrong? I have spend time with these people and they seem sincere in their beliefs and attempt to honor creator and mother earth....most natives i have met with who carry a B.I.A. card or who are off the res have turned their noses up to me when i ask about native culture.

Now i know that i have ancestors who were of woodland decent(we are almost positive that they were from the Iroquois nation because of family stories but have no paper work to prove it) we have family photographs of my ancestors in regalia. so am i not allowed to self-claim my ancestors? am i not allowed to  honor those ancestors?

i am not being angry or anything but curiosity is getting the best of me at why the same people are bashing this group when they themselves treat outsiders who want to learn follow and honor the customs beliefs and spirituality of the native way.

wanishi

#106 May-19-2011 11:29:pm

Suckachsinheet

Short answer: If you want to learn authentic Native ways, they are not the people to ask. If you want to learn an amalgamated mish-mash of whatever appeals to the members, gathered from multiple cultures across Turtle Island or just fabricated from whole cloth, then you are in the right place.

If you are pretty sure your ancestors are Haudenosaunee, then you should find people who can teach you the Haudenosaunee ways. The UELN is purportedly Lenape; that would be Woodlands, but not the ways of your ancestors.

#107 May-22-2011 02:43:pm

oldsalty

followtheredroad wrote:

this is going to seem like it doesn't belong in here but bear with me....
   all my life i have felt lost misguided... a few years ago i met some people who walk the red road and we started talking about what its like to walk the red road. We talked about a lot of things for many hours. As i started spending time with these people i realized that honoring creator, mother earth everything that i was told was wear i belong...i am a very spiritual person and the "spirituality" of this way of life started calling to me......
now my questions to you folks is this....

why is it that the United Eastern Lenape Nation is so  bad for wanting to walk the red road? If they are doing things wrong why not offer a helping hand? instead of bashing and ripping them apart and not coming face to face with them? what is they have done wrong? I have spend time with these people and they seem sincere in their beliefs and attempt to honor creator and mother earth....most natives i have met with who carry a B.I.A. card or who are off the res have turned their noses up to me when i ask about native culture.

Now i know that i have ancestors who were of woodland decent(we are almost positive that they were from the Iroquois nation because of family stories but have no paper work to prove it) we have family photographs of my ancestors in regalia. so am i not allowed to self-claim my ancestors? am i not allowed to  honor those ancestors?

i am not being angry or anything but curiosity is getting the best of me at why the same people are bashing this group when they themselves treat outsiders who want to learn follow and honor the customs beliefs and spirituality of the native way.

wanishi

Many people look for answers in the wrong places and with the world facing turmoil environmentally and economically we must accept that we are responsible for how we have lived our lives instead of looking for alternatives and justification from other cultures.I am not saying you dont have Native American ancestors but somewhere along the line someone chose a different path and made you who you are.It happened to all of us.
Using the term Follow the Red Road is meaningless and the link below hopefully will help you understand why and also how it could be seen as offensive.
Spirituality is within yourself and most likely learnt as a very young child and I doubt will be learnt in any other way.Perhaps if it exists within it would be more beneficial and rewarding using it to genuinly help others by giving your time and energy unselfishly to helping someone.I guess there is no native communities within your area to do this but I am sure that there are many other areas such as homelessness and youth issues etc.
This perhaps will be a far more fullfilling road where in time the path may lead you to where you want to be.
Hope this may help.

http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php?op … ;Itemid=22

#108 May-23-2011 01:23:pm

bls926
Administrator

Well said, Brett! Thank you.

#109 Oct-24-2011 02:31:pm

tn_metis
Visitor

just wanted to add this note.......there is now an "united eastern lenape nation of (winfield) tennessee" which claims to have state recognition by the state of tennessee.......in fact this group has identified itself as cherokee (cherokee of the cumberland) in the past, and gives a long history as being founded by a cherokee - (http://www.tngenweb.org/scott/fnb_v5n3_ … ns_ago.htm) ........it boasts membership from a score of different nations, but not one person of lënape descent among its membership  (From their webpage - "About ninety percent of the members are of Cherokee descent. Other tribes represented in the U.E.L.N. are Sioux, Black Foot, Chippewa, Apache and Algonquian, to mention a few. As High Chief, Mark Little Bear represents 20,000 people across the United State and in some foreign countries.")

........this group is one of several fraudulent groups in tennessee that pushed a state recognition bill, and then received state recognition........most of the others claim to be cherokee but legitimate cherokee governments in oklahoma and north carolina have completely debunked them......the home page of this ueln of tennessee is - http://unitedeasternlenapenation.com/.........

just thought you all would find this interesting.......if not infuriating

#110 Sep-07-2014 08:28:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/article_ … f887a.html

Healing Mother Earth Powwow begins Friday

Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 12:00 am
By DAVE DELUCA / Staff Writer ddeluca@starbeacon.com
JEFFERSON — The United Eastern Lenape Native American tribe of Ashtabula County will be holding its sixth annual Healing Mother Earth Powwow this weekend.
The event is set to take place at Fischer’s Pine Lake at 3796 Maple Rd. in Jefferson from September 5 to 7.
Powwow organizer Bonnie Morning Dove said this year’s late summer festivities will feature drummers, dancing, native vendors, storytelling, flute music and an auction, food vendors plus Native American foods like frybread and parched corn, trade blankets and moonlight dancing. There will even be a Hawaiian fire dancer.
“This year we’ll have the Rapid Rivers drum group from Ashtabula County’s United Eastern Lenape,” she said. “We’ll also feature drumming from Clearwater Drum, a duo consisting of Spyder and Tekawitha Webb of Greenville, Pa. They are Cherokee.”
Morning Dove said Clearwater drum is well known on the national powow circuit, with 12 CDs to their credit.
“Clearwater Drum has won awards for native music,” she said. “We usually have four other groups show up, so there should be plenty of drums.” 
She said this year’s powwow theme is reflected in its name, Healing Mother Earth.
“We’re asking people to bring their own silverware and plates rather than use plastic and Styrofoam,” she said. “Normally we use tiki torches to light our circle of lights and moonlight dances, but this year they will be solar.”
Morning Dove explained trade blankets are a traditional native way of making sure people find items they might need without the use of currency. No money or weapons are allowed on the trade blankets. Hunting knives can be traded.
“A person places an item on their trade blanket, and another person does the same,” she said. “If it sounds like a good barter to both parties, they  walk away happy with something they need - without using money.”
She said the powwows are often attended by boy scouts, who use popcorn as their trade item. One year the boy scouts traded popcorn for pillows.
“Weather permitting we’ll be having moonlight dances,” she said. “These start at dusk.”
Morning Dove said the summer event was held at Lake Village campgrounds in Andover for four years, then last year it was held at Buckfarm Bison in Austinburg in July. The annual ‘Honoring Our Ancestors’ powwow goes back ten years.
She said the powwow has drawn visitors from as far as Missouri, Minnesota, Virginia and states nearby. It draws both Native Americans and non-natives.
“Since we also consider it an educational experience for non-native people, we let them ask questions and explore what it means to be Native American,” she said. “However we do not answer ‘in-culture’ questions.”
She said ‘in-culture’ means a part of a particular tradition that is not meant to be shared outside the tribe. Certain parts of the powwow are sacred to the Native American religion.
The powwow gates open and vendors start selling their wares at 10 a.m. on Friday. The grand entry with dancers begins at noon. There is a flag retreat at 6 p.m.
Suggested donations for the powwow are $5 for adults, $3 for children 6-12 and seniors 55 and over. Veterans and active military get in free. Overnight camping for the weekend rates are $40 for a family of four, with $12 for each additional person.

#111 Sep-07-2014 05:26:pm

NanticokePiney

Wow! yikes  More "re"-educating...........hmm

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#112 Sep-07-2014 07:06:pm

Suckachsinheet

The "education" can only be as good as the sources the education came from originally. We teach what we learn, as we learned it. The "re-education" can only be stopped by reeducating the educators. Of course, that presumes that they will listen... As with so many of these groups I was formerly associated with, I have no idea at this point who the source(s) of information are, or how much is being fabricated as needed...

#113 Sep-07-2014 08:11:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

What on earth made these groups think they have the knowledge or right to "educate" anyone? Do their own thing, hang out with people that have similar outlooks, but that is over the line.

#114 Sep-07-2014 08:16:pm

sschkaak

Seems like Sam Hannah had a hand in getting all these groups started--except the EDN.

#115 Sep-08-2014 01:18:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

Seems like Sam Hannah had a hand in getting all these groups started--except the EDN.

The EDN was pure Grandpop Buster. hmm

#116 Oct-22-2014 06:22:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Quite an interesting interview neutral

United Eastern Lenape Nation Chief Quiet Wolf
"Native Americans from the United Eastern Lenape Nation performed at the 4th Annual Downtown Ashtabula Multi-Cultural Festival. Chief Quiet Wolf told about his and other clans and about the Lenape people."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPK7g9ULGnY

....and... neutral

Mourning Dove of United Eastern Lenape Nation
"Native Americans from the United Eastern Lenape Nation performed at the 4th Annual Downtown Ashtabula Multi-Cultural Festival. Clan Mother Morning Dove told how names were chosen for outsiders and of the 4 sacred herbs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11QywX_tI_k

#117 Oct-22-2014 08:37:pm

Suckachsinheet

Well, that was interesting... And there were more videos besides those two...

I really liked the chief's title. I need to get one of those... lol

#118 Oct-22-2014 10:36:pm

NanticokePiney

I hate the stereotype......I hate the stereotype.......I hate the stereotype........yikes

#119 Dec-04-2014 05:28:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

happyhare wrote:

To All,

I am logging in with Happy Hare's login, as I can't seem to get in on what I thought I remembered as my own. All this computer stuff, login, logout is new to me, so please forgive my ignorance.
     Old Salty,
                    I see you as the most respectful on this site, so I will start in answer to your words.
     Suckachsinheet may not be Lenape, but he knows of me and I remember correspondence with him long ago. I will not get into a rebuttal of Kraft's words about me at this time. That would be lengthy, someday as I have time.
     Our Big Horn Lenape, though not on the official List of New York State, we have many letters, one from Gov.Pataki, and others from DEC officials, recognizing us and addressing us as Big Horn Lenape Council Chiefs, as we have been involved in numerous fights to protect burial grounds from development.
Chief Paul Waterman(now deceased), as well as EDN, and other Lenape groups from Indiana and PA have helped us in some of these cases.
     As In have stated before, Our Big Horn Lenape Tribe was formed in around 1980 by Lenape and other Algonquin  descendant People. To come to your forum requires legitamacy? What? The legitamacy as long as we tow line to your views? Who has authorized you folks as Absolute authorities? because I can guarantee you people do not know as much as you think you do! We are just as legitimate as any Federally recognized Tribe, as they too are only beginning to follow and relearn their Lenape Ancestral Traditions! I have been learning my Lenape traditions since I was young, from members of my family who remembered such things. I have no idea of my exact blood quantum, which is at least 5/16 to 3/8, but it is more than many of the Delaware Tribe of Oklahoma. My whole life I have been told that I was, and have seen myself as Lenape. Who are you to question my legitamacy?
     The tie to Chemung? Some of my ancestors were there when Sullivan came through and stories of that have been handed down. I lived there until recently.
     How do you expect anyone to prove themselves when their ancestors never went on a reservation? All I can tell you is that there was a group of my family that settled in Susquehanna circa 1830. My one Great Great Grandmother married William Campfield, a Scottish descent surveyor; the Chamberlain's, also of Native descent came into the picture later, but there were also Native descent People by the names of Carr, Clapper, Densmore & Horton, etc. All we have to go by is oral tradition, stories, and pictures of my family tell all! My family considered themselves to be Native and were always proud of the fact! My Great Great Grandmother Campfield, she had no maiden name, she was known as Tonnia or Tawny. I know there are Chamberlins in Oklahoma of Lenape descent and I know that we may have Mohican relatives by the name of Koonakpot(or something like that). Our Chief, Eugene Hodge, was adopted by some relatives of a Great Uncle of mine, and they were aware of their Lenape ancestry.
     Yes, Destiny Kinal is a friend of Our People. She helped us with a big burial ground fight that we eventually won. We recently gave a talk at Sheshequin on Queen Esther. She is in error though saying my ancestors watched Sullivans march at Carantouan/Spanish Hill; it was at Bear Mountain near what is called Queen Esther's Glen.
     To Treehugger:
                             Yes, my aunt, Happy Hare originally logged into this forum on her Toshiba computer, mine is on a HP. Yes, I did forget my password - forgot to write it down. Tried several combos but couldn't get anything to work; thought you people cut me out of this forum.
      Oh, my aunt is real enough! She is not me, nor I her!
      Sorry if my aunt called you Treebugger, but I feel you showed her much disrespect and I know she was quite upset. She's 86 for goodness sake, give her a break! Put yourself in her shoes, would you not be upset?
     Mr. Whritenour:     I never debated anything directly with you, but through other people, secondhand! I did not have a computer at the time. Since then, many of these people who at that time were supportive of you and disrespectful of me, they have since apologized to me. I don't know what eventually happened, but you seemed to have angered them somehow.
    Your criticism of my book, while demeaning in the extreme, is correct in some instances concerning the language, but when a language is near extinct, and not used in everyday conversation, errors do occur. Elders remembered what they could, often in error, especially in attempting Lenape translation of English equivalents. I do not doubt the truth of what they related to me because of the similarities and distances involved, from Wisconsin, to Ohio, to Canada and Pennsylvania.
     Suckachsinheet:    My aunt said, "look in the mirror'. It was not I. I have no quarrel with you brother, so I ask, do not get one started between us!

I too will not waste my time withthis forum, except later to correct Kraft's errors about me in his book. Contrary to loose lips, demeaning words, and too many Mr. Big Heads, who use this forum to give some meaning to their lives, thinking that makes them some Authority; I decline to get involved, and will keep on doing what I have been doing for thirty years or so, working with my People to teach our traditions so that they may live through our future generations.
Enough said!                                                                  Treebeard/Hitakonanoolaxk

Just to remind us of his other personalities. Are we done yet?

#120 Dec-23-2014 07:32:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Lenape Language (closed) group on Facebook. Sounds like they are still active and moving right along.  Administrator is Dancing Dragonfly.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/708055269290219/

ABOUT
Closed GroupClosed Group
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST
This site is for those who want to learn the Lenape Language. I am using the Swathmore College curriculum, based on the Unami Dialect. I know there are many dialects of Lenape, but this is the one the United Eastern Lenape Nation has agreed upon. PLEASE DO NOT "CORRECT" ANYTHING I POST, it WILL be deleted, if you have a disagreement on something I post, contact me directly. Please do not post words on here for anyone to learn, we are taking this slowly so not to confuse anyone. I encourage everyone to use what you learn in everyday conversation, and PLEASE teach it to your children, we lost this once , lets not lose it again. PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS UNDER HERE AND REFER BACK TO THEM AS NEEDED THANK YOU

#121 Dec-23-2014 09:42:am

sschkaak

"PLEASE DO NOT "CORRECT" ANYTHING I POST"

Yeah!  That goes for me, too!   tonguelol

#122 Dec-23-2014 10:03:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

lol

#123 Feb-17-2015 06:36:pm

NanticokePiney

#124 Feb-17-2015 10:30:pm

NanticokePiney

They were the 2 most idiotic people I ever saw on those videos. yikes

yikes

#125 Aug-23-2015 09:47:pm

sschkaak

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_ne … e84d7.html

With funds gathered from each year’s powwow, the nation seeks to build a new village “off-the-grid.”

“Our people will live in it like our ancestors did — no electricity, no nothing. We live off the land,” Red Wolf said. “We’re going to invite people to come and stay with us and do the same thing.

“We will teach them our old ways and to learn how to survive. ... It’s always been our nation’s goal to do this.”

The nation’s former chief, Billy Blue Feather, hoped to see that village founded in his lifetime — however, he died last month, Red Wolf said. There have been offers in Pennsylvania, but Red Wolf said Ashtabula County is her tribe’s “home base.”

Board footer