Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Jul-21-2009 11:55:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Retired educator spreading word about medicinal properties of plants

hmm

Full Article, Video and Pictures at: http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=147942

What most people deem today to be ugly weeds - sometimes even poisonous plants - American Indians such as the Lenni Lenape treasured for their medicinal properties.

"The Indians didn't have pharmacies or stores; they had to utilize whatever was available to them, and that included some native as well as alien or European weeds that white people brought with them ... the Indians found uses for all of them," said Dave "Big Owl" McSurdy, whose passion for American Indian culture is simply a reflection of his own love of nature.

For the last 10 years, the 72-year-old retired elementary teacher who lives near Schuylkill Haven, Schuylkill County, has devoted himself to educating the public about American Indian culture in a variety of informational programs dubbed "Native American Experiences."

He will be presenting such a program Friday, July 24, at 7 p.m. at the Heritage Center, Bern Township, that will focus on the various plants, barks, leaves and roots that the Lenni Lenape used primarily for medicinal purposes.

Walking along the trail near the Heritage Center, McSurdy whose "Big Owl" nickname is purely a trade moniker, was hard pressed to find some of the native plants that Indians once used in a lush area along the Tulpehocken Creek.

#2 Jul-21-2009 01:11:pm

NanticokePiney

Re: Retired educator spreading word about medicinal properties of plants

tree hugger wrote:

hmm

Walking along the trail near the Heritage Center, McSurdy whose "Big Owl" nickname is purely a trade moniker, was hard pressedto find some of the native plants that Indians once used in a lush area along the Tulpehocken Creek.

lollollol   I could find at least 6 usable herbs on my lawn!

Plantain
  Wood sorrel
  Chickweed
  Poke weed
  Red clover
  Dock

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#3 Jul-21-2009 03:28:pm

lenape

Re: Retired educator spreading word about medicinal properties of plants

oh boy!!  The makings of another "guru"! hmm

I am all for folks finding a better way than "pills", but have seen to many of these "educational shows" go very bad!  This isn't something that you read about a couple times.

Piney, plantain isn't "native", however it is extremely useful, but I see your point...

Board footer