Announcement

#176 Aug-26-2010 11:50:pm

Chevy

Re: Lenape Nation of Pa Current Events!

Those have to be the craziest pictures I've ever seen in my life. neutral

#177 Aug-27-2010 04:18:am

amandaquietrainwagner

What thread for Little Soldier and Collins?

#178 Aug-27-2010 07:20:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

amandaquietrainwagner wrote:

What thread for Little Soldier and Collins?

http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5677

#179 Aug-27-2010 07:34:am

lenape

lenape_eela wrote:

we say kta'holel for love

actually "ktaholel" means "I-Love-You", "aholtewakan" means "love"...

#180 Sep-29-2010 08:48:pm

lenape

well, for those who may have missed this hysteric day:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 … amp;ref=mf

would have thought they would have held it on St. Patrick's Day in honor of their "Chief", errr, ummmmmmmmm!

#181 Sep-29-2010 10:27:pm

sschkaak
Website

Were there any Indians there?   neutral

#182 Sep-29-2010 10:30:pm

lenape

Don't think they could afford to rent any for this event. hmm

#183 Oct-15-2011 08:59:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Pictures at link ; http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/enterta … lenni.html

Fulfilling a Prophecy - Lenni Lenape exhibit opens Sunday at Lenape Nation Cultural Center
Published: Saturday, October 15, 2011, 4:17 AM
By Melinda Rizzo

Enlarge Tim Wynkoop
A Lenape drill stands among artifacts. Express-Times Photo | TIM WYNKOOP
Lenape Nation Cultural Center debuts its new exhibit gallery (9 photos)
From staging treaty signings to partnering with groups along the Delaware River corridor, Shelley DePaul says the Lenape Nation, a non-profit organization, hopes to bring greater awareness to the rich history of the Lenni Lenape tribe in Pennsylvania.

DePaul is a spokeswoman and co-chief for the Lenape Nation in Pennsylvania, which is based in Philadelphia.

The Lenape Nation Cultural Center will debut its new permanent exhibit “Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania” on Sunday at its location inside the Bachmann Publick House, at Second and Northampton streets in Easton.

Evidence of the daily lives and work of the Lenape people will be part of the permanent display, which will be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday inside the Lenape Nation Cultural Center. The exhibit will be open to the public on Saturdays.

DePaul says the new display is a permanent collection, having been originally displayed at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology since 2008.

IF YOU GO:
“Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania” will be open to the public on Saturdays inside the Lenape Nation Cultural Center, Bachmann Publick House at Second and Northampton Streets, Easton. A grand opening is planned for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.

Admission is free, but donations are appreciated. The exhibit will be available on Saturdays only.

For more information, visit lenapenation.org. The collection is a showcase of artifacts, photographs and objects from private collections of Pennsylvania’s Lenape people. From ancient masks, corn husk dolls, jewelry and other items, the collection is a reminder of their heritage.

The non-profit Lenape Nation organization has grown from a handful to more than 350 members. “People are seeking us out because they have interest in tracing their own family lines,” DePaul says.

DePaul lives in Gilbert, Pa., and teaches the Lenape language to college students at Swarthmore College in Delaware County.

“As an endangered language, Lenape is something I have worked hard ... to reinvigorate,” DePaul says.
And if language is essential to an ethnic identity then the resurgent interest, not only by those who trace ancestry to Lenape forebears, but non-Lenape people is a good sign. DePaul says bringing about a renewed interest in Native American culture and living is one of her long-standing goals.

In addition to teaching students like Zack Wiener, 21, of Baltimore, Md., about the language and how to speak it, DePaul says excavating the past by learning the language brings a deeper understanding of the present.

Wiener is a senior majoring in education and linguistics.
“What began when I was a freshman has grown into studying the phonetics and semantics and the way the Lenape make language and how it is different from the way we (Westerners) make language,” Wiener says.
“When you revitalize the language, you revitalize the community."
Wiener says he hopes renewed interest by the academic community will inspire scholars to be more responsible in their treatment of indigenous and endangered languages.

Educational outreach and public awareness, as well as continued efforts to partner with organizations along the Delaware River, continue to be part of the group’s mission.

“Part of what we do is re-educate people,” DePaul says.

© 2011 lehighvalleylive.com. All rights reserved.

#184 Oct-15-2011 10:53:am

Suckachsinheet

tree hugger wrote:

“What began when I was a freshman has grown into studying the phonetics and semantics and the way the Lenape make language and how it is different from the way we (Westerners) make language,” Wiener says.

I guess in this case, it's a little of both....making a language, that is.

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#185 Oct-15-2011 11:01:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

“Part of what we do is re-educate people,” DePaul says.

This made me giggle a little. Well, I guess at the least the display is out of Penn. hmm

#186 Oct-16-2011 03:03:pm

sschkaak
Website

From the caption under one of the pictures:

"A Lenape Indian Weshkinko, or Messing Mask..."

"Weshkinko" = 'faces'  (plural).

#187 Oct-16-2011 03:14:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

From the caption under one of the pictures:

"A Lenape Indian Weshkinko, or Messing Mask..."

"Weshkinko" = 'faces'  (plural).

Thank you. wink

#188 Nov-13-2013 09:47:am

NanticokePiney

I can't believe they're still displaying that thing. It looks like it was carved out of a ossified turd with a dremel tool. yikes

Last edited by NanticokePiney (Mar-03-2015 07:21:am)

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#189 Dec-03-2013 11:16:am

NanticokePiney

The Confederation of Nanticoke-Lenape Tribe's response to the Fourth Crow "Prophecy"

http://nanticokelenapemuseum.org/learni … iry-tales/

#190 Dec-03-2013 12:53:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

NanticokePiney wrote:

The Confederation of Nanticoke-Lenape Tribe's response to the Fourth Crow "Prophecy"

http://nanticokelenapemuseum.org/learni … iry-tales/

A Review of “The Fourth Crow Prophecy”
Over recent years, a purported “Lenape” prophecy has come to life, but this story is not a Traditional Lenape “Prophecy.”  The characters, crow and fox, are not predominant figures in Traditional Lenape Culture.  The crow has no significant role in Lenape culture, and certainly is not a symbol of Lenape People as implied in this story.  The role of a crow in Traditional Lenape stories is extremely limited and are found in stories of outside influence; for example,  a story called “Crow brings Corn” documented in the New York City Area around 1679 attributed to Lenape in the area is actually of Seneca and Narragansett.  The assertion that this story has been “….passed down for decades”  is hard to accept considering it was concocted  in the late 1980’s and is tied into another non-Lenape Story, “Rainbow Crow,” which will be reviewed next.  The manner in which this story is told and documented is also a good indicator that it is not Lenape, or even Native American.  It is told in a simplistic, “broken” flow, one might find in an old western movie where a Non-Native was cast to speak broken English to imitate a Native.  In contrast, authentic Lenape stories are often very complex, culturally detail oriented, and will often tie into other Lenape stories.  This story has none of these characteristics.  Furthermore, the translation of this story into Lenape is in the manor of a non-Lenape speaker translating a story from English into Lenape, word for word, using a vocabulary list with a poor understanding of the language, not to mention the use of words from two different, and not interchangeable, dialects of Lenape.  In conclusion, the understanding of the coming of “Four Crows” in traditional and contemporary authentic Lenape Culture is nonexistent, and has absolutely no cultural tie to Lenape People, history, or Culture and should not be perpetuated as such.  We, as Lenape People, have many traditional stories documented, recorded, and passed down through generations that teach us an understanding of our Ancestors ways, life, and beliefs and these are the stories that should be told of our people, and by our people.

Nice. The spelling and syntax looks oh so familiar to me in these reviews.

#191 Dec-03-2013 01:02:pm

sschkaak
Website

A good review.  I hope it gets a wide audience.

#192 Dec-03-2013 01:03:pm

NanticokePiney

Really? yikes I don't recognize them. neutral

#193 Dec-03-2013 01:57:pm

sschkaak
Website

As pointed out, nearly five years ago, there is a Delaware legend which does assign the crow a role in transmitting prophecies.  And, knowledge of this legend is almost certainly the catalyst which inspired this "Fourth Crow" thing.  See post reply #8, in this topic:  http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5237

Last edited by sschkaak (Dec-03-2013 01:58:pm)

#194 Dec-03-2013 07:46:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

As pointed out, nearly five years ago, there is a Delaware legend which does assign the crow a role in transmitting prophecies.  And, knowledge of this legend is almost certainly the catalyst which inspired this "Fourth Crow" thing.  See post reply #8, in this topic:  http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5237

Just quoting the post mentioned about for continuity. Although that whole thread is interesting as well.

Posted by sschkaak Jan. 4, 2009

In looking for that "chief maker" reference, I saw this positive reference to the crow, which may have been the inspiration for these crow stories.

Speaking of the Delaware men with the prophetic ability, the text says:

The power of prophecy attributed to them is the subject of some legend in the band.  When dominated by the urge they are said to have spent the night in singing medicine-songs after which they could "foretell what was going to happen."  As the story goes, when the chief heard one of them singing thus, he would send a messenger to him to find out what was portending--the messenger was xaxa'su, the crow.

[Speck, F.G. & Moses, J., The Celestial Bear Comes Down to Earth, Reading, PA (1945), page 53, note 64.]

#195 Dec-03-2013 07:47:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

NanticokePiney wrote:

Really? yikes I don't recognize them. neutral

Really. "Really". smile

#196 Dec-05-2013 08:05:am

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

Lenape sign new 'friendship treaty'
By Miriam Hill

Scott White Eagle, who is part Cherokee, said that when she was a young girl, her mother told her not to tell people of her native heritage.

"My mother said, 'You pass for white,' " she said. "We always hid."

She tried to talk about it anyway, but teachers silenced her, she said.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20 … z0xL8U2aCt
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

I missed this.
   The real Cherokee "White Eagles" are EBC. Bob has a trading post and his son Shane is a well known powwow dancer. The family use to come to our powwows and Shane and I played together as kids.
  As for teachers silencing her. More crap! From the 4th grade to the 9th grade my teachers would have me drag in all my wood carvings, flint knapping kit and Grandpop's crap and do talks. One of my science teachers use to always want those stupid apple head poppets my grandmom use to make. Another teacher had me bring in my old Bear Green Bow and have me shoot it for the class. I still have the pictures.

#197 Dec-05-2013 09:24:am

sschkaak
Website

Are you talking about Bob Douglass, who went by the name, "White Eagle," and who died in Dover, Delaware at age 92, last year?

#198 Dec-05-2013 06:47:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

Are you talking about Bob Douglass, who went by the name, "White Eagle," and who died in Dover, Delaware at age 92, last year?

I don't think so. This guy had a shop on the rez in the Smokies.  I haven't seen him or his son in 30 years but Uncle Mark says Shane comes to the powwow sometimes.

#199 Dec-05-2013 06:51:pm

sschkaak
Website

Okay.  Different guy.  Both legitimate, though.  Bob Douglass was CNO.

#200 Apr-08-2014 07:40:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Board footer