Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#101 Mar-01-2010 01:10:pm

lenape

Re: Lenape Nation of Pa Current Events!

now, this is a "song" that goes wayyyyy back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOjGYB9 … re=related

(I guess she couldn't run and sing at the same time, LMFAO!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AeNcO1DBnY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LjssJneRbk&NR=1

hmm

#102 Mar-01-2010 01:30:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

What was that, hoot hoot hoot???

Gawd that was just................... neutralneutralyikes

#103 Mar-01-2010 01:31:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

What was that, hoot hoot hoot???

that, I think, would be a very distressed, and possibly ill, owl...

#104 Mar-01-2010 09:26:pm

Suckachsinheet

The Lenape Bulbous Bouffant Skit was kind of interesting. I couldn't tell if the Lenape was correct, of course; were those some of Shelley's students or LNP members?

It's in the blood; I can't let go. - Robbie Robertson

#105 Mar-02-2010 10:22:am

sschkaak

Suckachsinheet wrote:

The Lenape Bulbous Bouffant Skit was kind of interesting. I couldn't tell if the Lenape was correct, of course; were those some of Shelley's students or LNP members?

I'm having trouble hearing all the syllables, and I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time trying to pick them up.  Basically, the girl greets the boy with "Weli kishku" ('it's a good day').  Then, he says, "E-e.  Weli kishku" ('Yup.  It's a good day.')  She says, "Ku sasapelehele" ('There is no lightning.')  Then he says, "??? Keku hach?" ('??? What?').  Girl:  "Ku sasapelehele ok pethakon." ('There is no lighning and thunder.')  Boy:  "??? Ahikta!" ('??? Very true!')  Girl:  "Shiki nulaptonakan sasapelehele." ('My elegant word, sasapelehele.')  [Maybe, this is "wulaptonakan, which would make it "An elegant word, sasapelehele."]  Boy:  ???? 

They get into having fun just saying the words, sasapelehele ('there is lightning') and owihelahsu ('there is a whirlwind'). 

Another girl sits down and says, Weli kishku, to which they respond, in kind.  When the second girl sneezes, the boy says, "onguntawakan" ('a blessing').  [I suppose this is an attempt to say, 'Bless you.'  I don't think this works in Lenape.]

I wish they had provided the text, because I really can't make out some of the syllables.  If I wanted to be a real stickler, the negative forms for 'lightning' and 'thunder' should have been used after the negative particle, ku.  But...  I suppose this can be overlooked, sometimes.

Maybe, someone else can make out the sounds better than I can?

#106 Mar-02-2010 10:27:am

sschkaak

I also hear:  K'nemen nemenutes?  ("Do you see my purse?")  Then, an affirmative.  And, also "mata keku" ('nothing'), when asked what they're doing.

Last edited by sschkaak (Mar-02-2010 10:31:am)

#107 Mar-02-2010 10:29:am

lenape

I gave it a try but can not hear it that well either, the negatives are "ify" and "a blessing" would be "you-be-blessed", the english equal of "bless you", a verb structure not noun...  I don't agree with some of the pronunciations, but then again I don't agree with much of anything....

#108 Mar-02-2010 10:42:am

sschkaak

"Bless you!" in Northern Unami would be, "Wulapensoheel!"

#109 Mar-12-2010 02:43:pm

lenape

hmm

http://www.lenapenation.org/Lenape%20La … thmore.pdf

Representatives From Lenape Communities Meet at Swarthmore College for  Second Lenape Language Conference

In May of 2008, The first Lenape Language Conference was held at the University of Pennsylvania.  The purpose of the meeting was to bring together Lenape Communities throughout the country in a collaborative effort to develp resources and support for language revitalization projects, as well as to explore ways in which universities could provide assistance.  The conference was attended by representatives from Lenape communities in Oklahoma, Canada, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.  Also in attendance were representatives from area colleges as well as various prominent linguists.  It was agreed that collaborative work on language revitalization would continue.  The second Language conference will be held at Swarthmore College on May 1st, 2010 from 9:30AM until 5:00PM. The conference is open to the general public. The goals of the conference are to assess progress, to address concerns, and to set specific goals for future revitalization efforts.

Lenape representatives in attendance include: 

Canada
Glen Jacobs ‐ Munsee Delaware Nation,  Moraviantown, Ontario
Bruce Stonefish ‐ Munsee Delaware Nation, Moraviantown, Ontario

New Jersery
Vince Williams ‐ Nanticoke Lenni‐Lenape Indians,  Bridgeton
Tina Fragoso ‐ Nanticoke Lenni‐Lenape Indians, Bridgeton

Oklahoma 
Ann Dapice ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Curtis Zunigha ‐ Bartlesville, Ok

Pennsylvania
Chief Bob Red Hawk ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Shelley DePaul ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Susan Taffe ‐ Eastern Lenape Nation

Wisconsin
Molly Miller ‐ Stockbridge Munsee/Mohican
Shawn Stevens ‐ Stockbridge Munsee/Mohican 

Lenape speakers from each area will give a formal presentation regarding language issues in their communities.  Representatives from various local universities and linguistics students currently studying the Lenape Language at Swarthmorewill also be in attendance. The conference will end with a discussion regarding cooperative strategies between universities and Lenape communities  A bonfre and social, drumming circle will be held in the Crum Woods section of the Swarthmore campus at 7:30 in the evening.  A program agenda and details regarding the conference will be published on the Lenape Nation website (www.lenapenation.org) as they develop.

Last edited by lenape (Mar-12-2010 02:45:pm)

#110 Mar-12-2010 03:44:pm

lenape

I guess what amazes me the most, and frustrates me the most, is how these wanna be "Lenape", DePaul and Ruth, weasel their way in with legitimate Lenape folks, and why the legit folks are willing to even participate in this with them??!!  Taking in consideration that some that are going to be there have spoken out against the LNP, just doesn't make sense to me?!hmm

#111 Mar-12-2010 06:36:pm

sschkaak

I'm going to have to "ASSUME" (yes, I know the pitfalls of doing this) that the invitations to attend came from Swarthmore--not the LNP.  That way, a measure of awkwardness could be overcome.  Any of them can say they merely went to a conference held by the college, without having to acknowledge any other group as legitimate.

#112 Mar-12-2010 06:40:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

I'm going to have to "ASSUME" (yes, I know the pitfalls of doing this) that the invitations to attend came from Swarthmore--not the LNP.  That way, a measure of awkwardness could be overcome.  Any of them can say they merely went to a conference held by the college, without having to acknowledge any other group as legitimate.

Yes, I *assume*, LOL, the same thing, but still for *me*, I would not bring myself to sit "with" them, but that is why I am a "nobody", LOL!

#113 Mar-12-2010 06:44:pm

sschkaak

Of course, none of the people who know the language best will be there.  So...???   neutral

#114 Mar-12-2010 06:51:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

Of course, none of the people who know the language best will be there.  So...???   neutral

Yeah, that is amazing!

I was asked to offer my 2 pennies worth on this(not that I know that much), in letter form, I am never welcome at these kinda things, LOL, but I agree there are folks that could offer a lot more than the line up there.

#115 Mar-17-2010 09:28:am

lenape

Schedule of events for the "Language" show

http://www.lenapenation.org/Swarthmore%20Conference.htm

Saturday - May 1 Scheuer Room, Kohlberg Building

9:30 - Lenape Welcoming - Chief Bob Red Hawk

9:40 - Prayer - Shelley DePaul

9:45 - Welcoming Swarthmore College - President or David Harrison

Presentations (45 Minute sessions with 10 minute Q&A)

10:00 - Development of Lenape Language Resources at Swarthmore - Shelley DePaul

11:00 - Language at the Indigenous Education Coalition - Bruce Stonefish

12:00 - Lunch

1:00 - Lunaape Language Revitalization in the Stockbridge Community - Molly Miller

2:00 - Lenape as a Living Language - Ann Dapice

3:00 - Revitalization of the Mohican Language - Shawn Stevens

4:00 - 5:00  General Discussion - Cooperation between Universities and Lenape Communities - Ann Dapice and Ted Fernald

6:00 - 7:00 - Private Supper - Scheuer Room, Kohlberg Building

7:30 - Bonfire at Crum Woods - Drumming and Social Circle

#116 Mar-17-2010 09:31:am

lenape

well, seems they "stole" another building, maybe stole is a bit harsh, conned might be fitting as they are only using this one:

http://www.lenapenation.org/news.html

Lenape Nation of PA occupies new Cultural Center

The Lenape Nation of Pennsylvannia now has a Cultural Center and Office in the historic Bachmann House in Easton Pa.  The building was recently purchased from the city by the Northampton County Historical Society, who has given the Lenape Nation unlimited access to the building for Councils, meetings, ceremonies, and other activities.  The Nation office and Cultural Center is located on the second floor.  The Nation will set up a library for research and an audio visual display.  There will also be an artifact display and trading post as well as cultural and educational programming.  The Cultural center will open officially this summer in conjunction with the opening of the permanent Lenape exhibit in the new NCHGS Museum.  The Lenape Nation is co-curating the exhibit, which will be essentially an extension of the Cultural Center.  Continue to check our website for updates and program schedule.

#117 Apr-25-2010 11:30:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Did I miss this being posted somewhere? If so, sorry, I'm really behind lately.

-------------------------------------------------------

Shelley DePaul, Director of the Language Program for the Lenape Nation of PA, and Lenape Language Instructor at Swarthmore College receives  NEH Fellowship Award!

Ms. DePaul's Lenape Language Project, is listed under the category of Documenting Endangered Languages, and extends for a 12 month term.  The funding will support research, development of a variety of language resources, and Lenape language revitalization efforts.

The fellowship program is one of the most competitive funded by the NEH, with grants going to one in 10 applicants, according to NEH spokesman Jim Turner. "It's definitely a great honor to get an NEH fellowship." 

The National Endowment for the Humanities, a federal agency in Washington, D.C., annually offers Fellowships, which provide financial support for faculty and independent scholars who wish to pursue scholarly research projects in the humanities.

Projects entail advanced research that is of value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both. The awards support six to twelve months of full-time work and carry a stipend of $4,200 per month.

Recipients usually produce articles, monographs, books, digital materials, archaeological site reports, translations, editions, and other scholarly tools.

#118 Apr-25-2010 07:26:pm

lenape

Speaking of Woodland Buffalo SHIT, right here is a load of it!!  What a damn mess the educational system is, a real shittin' joke!

#119 Apr-25-2010 08:28:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

I'd like to say, is there anything we can do.. and believe it.. at this point though. hmm

#120 Apr-26-2010 12:00:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

I'd like to say, is there anything we can do.. and believe it.. at this point though. hmm

I don't imagine there is much that can be done, they have more than enough information to know that her garbage is not worth a damn, but this seems to be someones "pet project", someone with their hand in the "cookie jar", so she could put out lessons of blank pages, which might be more accurate, and still this would continue!  They, Swathmore or Wanape Nation of PA,  don't give a damn about the Lenape Language, just money and creating a name for themselves!

I guess they didn't "just go away" as some seemed to think they would roll

#121 Apr-26-2010 12:23:pm

sschkaak

This is, of course, the same $15,000 grant awarded a while back.  One agency awards the grant and another hands it out.  The original agency was told anything good they had came from the work of others, but, it was to no avail.

#122 Apr-26-2010 12:29:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

This is, of course, the same $15,000 grant awarded a while back.  One agency awards the grant and another hands it out.

Oh, thanks Sschkaak, didn't know that is how it works, it still sucks but at least it is not something "new"!  You save me from making a letter writing fool of myself, now I am just a fool! lol

#123 Apr-26-2010 12:30:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

sschkaak wrote:

This is, of course, the same $15,000 grant awarded a while back.  One agency awards the grant and another hands it out.  The original agency was told anything good they had came from the work of others, but, it was to no avail.

Ohhh well that explains why the LNP wasn't having a big celebration about it. Duh tongue

#124 Apr-26-2010 12:34:pm

sschkaak

Someone's putting out a stream of press releases though!   lol

#125 May-06-2010 08:53:am

lenape

lenape wrote:

hmm

http://www.lenapenation.org/Lenape%20La … thmore.pdf

Representatives From Lenape Communities Meet at Swarthmore College for  Second Lenape Language Conference

In May of 2008, The first Lenape Language Conference was held at the University of Pennsylvania.  The purpose of the meeting was to bring together Lenape Communities throughout the country in a collaborative effort to develp resources and support for language revitalization projects, as well as to explore ways in which universities could provide assistance.  The conference was attended by representatives from Lenape communities in Oklahoma, Canada, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.  Also in attendance were representatives from area colleges as well as various prominent linguists.  It was agreed that collaborative work on language revitalization would continue.  The second Language conference will be held at Swarthmore College on May 1st, 2010 from 9:30AM until 5:00PM. The conference is open to the general public. The goals of the conference are to assess progress, to address concerns, and to set specific goals for future revitalization efforts.

Lenape representatives in attendance include: 

Canada
Glen Jacobs ‐ Munsee Delaware Nation,  Moraviantown, Ontario
Bruce Stonefish ‐ Munsee Delaware Nation, Moraviantown, Ontario

New Jersery
Vince Williams ‐ Nanticoke Lenni‐Lenape Indians,  Bridgeton
Tina Fragoso ‐ Nanticoke Lenni‐Lenape Indians, Bridgeton

Oklahoma 
Ann Dapice ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Curtis Zunigha ‐ Bartlesville, Ok

Pennsylvania
Chief Bob Red Hawk ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Shelley DePaul ‐ Lenape Nation of PA
Susan Taffe ‐ Eastern Lenape Nation

Wisconsin
Molly Miller ‐ Stockbridge Munsee/Mohican
Shawn Stevens ‐ Stockbridge Munsee/Mohican 

Lenape speakers from each area will give a formal presentation regarding language issues in their communities.  Representatives from various local universities and linguistics students currently studying the Lenape Language at Swarthmorewill also be in attendance. The conference will end with a discussion regarding cooperative strategies between universities and Lenape communities  A bonfre and social, drumming circle will be held in the Crum Woods section of the Swarthmore campus at 7:30 in the evening.  A program agenda and details regarding the conference will be published on the Lenape Nation website (www.lenapenation.org) as they develop.

wonder how this circus went, I have not seen or heard anything about it, and usually the wannabes would be going all "beads and feathers" over "legitimate Indians" hanging out with them??!!

Board footer