Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#76 Nov-02-2009 08:50:am

sschkaak

Re: Lenape Nation of Pa Current Events!

I guess it's a small grant, so far as these awards go, but, it's yet another tacit recognition of their validity as Lenape--this time, from an agency of the federal government.

#77 Nov-02-2009 08:52:am

lenape

I suppose,

But they should not get one @$&! penny for that garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (I NEED more coffee!)

#78 Nov-15-2009 11:02:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

Photos and comment section at: http://www.tnonline.com/node/46272?page=1

Life as a Lenape
Reported on Friday, November 13, 2009

By LINDA KOEHLER lkoehler@tnonline.com
Shelley DePaul of Gilbert is the Assistant Chief of the Lenape (Len-ah-pay) Nation in Pennsylvania and she has made it her mission to help keep the Lenape Nation alive and to revive the Lenape language.

"My family is from here in this area. I began looking into my geneaology and learned that many of our ancestors married a Lenape native," says Shelley.

She learned that one of the first settlers to the area, Johannes Kunkle, married a Lenape, as did other settlers. She traced her own Lenape heritage to her grandfather, Robert Seipler.

A graduate of Pocono Mountain High School, Shelley earned her BS in English/Secondary Education and her Masters in History from East Stroudsburg University. She gives private music lessons in piano, guitar and Native American flute and does Lenape cultural programs.

She was invited by the University of Pennsylvania to tell the Lenape story. A yearlong program was featured at the Penn Museum titled "Fulfilling a Prophecy: The Past and Present of the Lenape in Pennsylvania."

In addition to the programs she teaches about the Lenapes, she also developed a Lenape language curriculum for use in the community. She is working with the University of Pennsylvania and Swarthmore College on Lenape language preservation and revitalization. She teaches a Lenape language class at Swarthmore College, the first class ever offered on the collegiate level on Pennsylvania's indigenous language. She has received a grant from the National Science Foundation to continue her work on the language.

Addressing the Eldred Township Historical Society, she said, "You're living in a sacred area of the Lenape Nation. It's original people goes back to living here over 10,000 years ago. They were a very gentle and sweet people and lived in extended family environments."

She talked a little about how they lived when they were residents in the Kunkletown/Smith Gap area. There is a stone marker along Chestnut Ridge that indicates where a village once was located.

"The women decided everything and were treated with great respect. They lived in lodges made of 12 saplings that were then covered with animal skins. When they learned how to cultivate, they stayed in one place and built long houses. It was the grandparents who took on the responsibility of educating the grandchildren and passed on their knowledge and wisdom to them.

The Lenapes' colors are red and black.

The deer were the most important animals to the Lenapes.

"They did not choose the biggest deer with the biggest rack. They wouldn't choose the elder because they respected the elders of every living thing, whether person, animal, rock or tree. A ceremony would be held before they brought a deer home for all the sustenance that it provided. And when they wore a deer skin, it showed the respect they had for it."

She brought along several Lenape artifacts she has collected over the years from animal skins to drums to flutes. She played the flutes for the audience.

Shelley says the Lenapes explain their history as the flight of the four crows. The flight of the first crow was the time before European contact. A group of stone tools, a hoe blade, fishing net weights, and triangular arrowheads represent how the Lenape made a living before the introduction of gunpowder. The flights of the second and third crows relate to the period of persecution and exile, when most of them moved to scattered settlements in places as far away as Oklahoma and Canada.

The flight of the fourth crow is the time when Lenape culture will be restored, a process that began in the late 1960s with the American Indian Movement.

"Our Chief feels we're coming into the flight of the fourth crow," says Shelley.

The Chief of the Lenape Nation, Chief Bob Red Hawk Ruth, originally from Bucks County, now lives in Wisconsin.

As an Assistant Chief, Shelley is doing all she can to help fulfill that prophecy of the fourth crow.

(Shelley DePaul is looking for anyone who has Lenape blood lines in their genealogy and asks if you could please contact her at depaul@ptd.net.)

#79 Nov-15-2009 04:42:pm

nj1639
Website

Wow, it all sounds so ....Super Human. The epitome of mankind!
Can I join?
lol

Go ahead and turn the damn power and water off, I'm ready!

#80 Nov-15-2009 05:49:pm

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

(Shelley DePaul is looking for anyone who has Lenape blood lines in their genealogy and asks if you could please contact her at depaul@ptd.net.)

Recruitment? First sign of a wannabe tribe.........

They need to recruit 300 people in a hurry because they bragged they had that many members. yikes

I don't have anger issues...just violent reactions to B.S.
---------------------------------------------------
      Warning:  Some Profanity
This might cause you to experience reason

#81 Nov-15-2009 07:17:pm

sschkaak

Here's a site with a pretty damn good genealogy of the Kunkle family.  I don't see any mention of a Lenape or Indian spouse, anywhere.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us … 02text.txt

#82 Nov-15-2009 08:23:pm

NanticokePiney

sschkaak wrote:

Here's a site with a pretty damn good genealogy of the Kunkle family.  I don't see any mention of a Lenape or Indian spouse, anywhere.

Ray, I just put you on the Friends prayer list. smile

#83 Nov-15-2009 08:27:pm

Chevy

smile

#84 Nov-15-2009 08:42:pm

sschkaak

NanticokePiney wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

Ray, I just put you on the Friends prayer list. smile

I could probably use the help!   neutral

#85 Nov-25-2009 12:12:am

Truthseeker

**Edit by TH

Robert Steck aka Truthseeker has been warned for posting private emails without permission. Full names and contact info of persons without their knowledge or permission, and repeatedly spamming the forum. Any posts by this person made in the future not relevant to the discussion will be edited or removed. This account has been deleted, just as his previous ones have.

#86 Dec-18-2009 01:35:pm

lenape

neutral
link to National Science Foundation award/grant
http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAwar … er=0946585

"ABSTRACT

This RAPID award supports critical work related to the Lenape Tribe of Pennsylvania. Their language, which is related to Delaware (SIL code: DEL), has been considered extinct in Pennsylvania. Recently, however, elements of the language retained by the descendants of the last speakers have become known to researchers. This project includes interviews with community elders who retain this language knowledge, specifically related to ceremonies, kinship terms, flora and fauna, and thus contributes to our understanding of language loss within this community. The intellectual merit of the project is seen in the development of annotated texts and new dictionary materials, including pre
viously unavailable tables of verb paradigms which will be of particular interest to scholars of Algonquian languages.

The broader impacts are impressive in that the project pairs Swarthmore college students, who are learning the language in the school setting, with community members who have a retained knowledge of parts of the language, in workshops where the students' linguistic skills assist in the development of community language materials. As such, the project offers a model for broadening participation which could be replicated in similar university-community partnerships."

there is not much to say other than Mpulchi!

#87 Dec-18-2009 03:54:pm

sschkaak

"Recently, however, elements of the language retained by the descendants of the last speakers have become known to researchers. This project includes interviews with community elders who retain this language knowledge, specifically related to ceremonies, kinship terms, flora and fauna, and thus contributes to our understanding of language loss within this community."

Somehow, I remain skeptical.   neutral

#88 Dec-18-2009 09:31:pm

lenape

sschkaak wrote:

"Recently, however, elements of the language retained by the descendants of the last speakers have become known to researchers. This project includes interviews with community elders who retain this language knowledge, specifically related to ceremonies, kinship terms, flora and fauna, and thus contributes to our understanding of language loss within this community."

I saw their word lists and it is nothing "new", they just finally got a copy of Speck's Big House book, Mahr's plant and tree names and the kinship terms are directly from Nora T. Deans work, and a newly created word for "clan mother", how do I know it is newly created you ask, BECAUSE WE DID NOT HAVE THEM, THEREFOR NO WORD, "true woman" is not an "old" word for "clan mother", this was stolen from Mr. Testicles On A Stick and his watered down euro-twinkie version of the "Great Law".  All previously documented and well known, nothing "earth-shattering" here, no long lost vocabulary, culture, or Indians for that matter, just more BS!

sorry if I "sound angry", but I am, enough with the culture vultures!  Stealing monies that are due recognized Native people, stealing farms, public sponsored camping trips, the whole shittin' thing stinks!

edited because they make me so damned mad I can't even spell in English!

Last edited by lenape (Dec-18-2009 10:09:pm)

#89 Dec-18-2009 09:42:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

lenape wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

I saw their word lists and it is nothing "new", they just finally got a copy of Speck's Big House book, Mahr's plant and tree names and the kinship terms are directly from Nora T. Deans work, and a newly created word for "clan mother", how do I know it is newly created, BECAUSE E DID NOT HAVE THEM, THEREFOR NO WORD, "true woman" is to an "old" word for "clan mother", this was stolen from Mr. Testicles On A Stick and his watered down euro-twinkie version of the "Great Law".  All previously documented and well known, nothing "earth-shattering" here, no long lost vocabulary, culture, or Indians for that matter, just more BS!

sorry if I "sound angry", but I am, enough with the culture vultures!  Stealing monies that are due recognized Native people, stealing farms, public sponsored camping trips, the whole shittin' thing stinks!

I agree. The whole shittin' thing stinks and it never seems to stop.

#90 Dec-18-2009 10:07:pm

lenape

I guess I overlooked that this was already discussed 1 page ago, post #71, sorry to re-hash it again folks!

#91 Dec-18-2009 10:15:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

No need to be sorry. Nothing wrong with reminding people.

#92 Dec-19-2009 12:00:am

NanticokePiney

tree hugger wrote:

No need to be sorry. Nothing wrong with reminding people.

Like the way I keep fwding the email discussion to the Friends? yikes Maybe someone will get on Swarthmore's ass and this whole friggin grant scam will turn into a fraud charge. neutral

#93 Jan-15-2010 01:41:pm

lenape

http://www.interfaithcenterpa.org/seaso … lenape.php

Lenape Feast

Shelley DePaul, a new Board MembeThe Lenape nation has preserved its legacy and traditions for more than 10,000 years, passing them on to Lenape now residing in every corner of this country.  The Pennsylvania Lenape Nation consists of approximately 300 members.

Most reside in Pennsylvannia, and New Jersey, but some are dispersed through other parts of the country. They no longer possess their own reservation but continue to maintain the matrilineal tradition, of  female elders and a chosen chief, Robert Red Hawk Ruth.

Shelley DePaul, a new Board Member of the Interfaith Center, is an active member of the Lenape Nation of Pennsylvania. She recently described various traditions and ceremonial practices still treasured and observed by the Lenape people of Pennsylvania.  Some holidays that the Lenape people continue to celebrate are the Maple, Midwinter, and Summer Water ceremonies.  One of the most important ceremonies is the Meesing, an annual October celebration that ensures a good hunt. There are also specific observances for planting and harvesting of corn.

Most ceremonies consist of stages which guide participants into the spiritual realm.  During the first part of the ceremony, members smudge themselves with cedar smoke, using an eagle feather, for cleansing and purifying purposes. This is followed by prayers, relevant stories, and the offering of sacred herbs in the fire.  At this time people may ask for healing and give thanks. Often the pipe, containing a mixture of healing herbs and tocacco, will be passed around the the circle. The ceremonies often end with continuous rounds of Rattle Songs and/or dances.

Almost always, the ceremonies are concluded by a time of feast and fellowship, when many symbolic food items are served to honor the spirits of nature.  Corn, beans, and squash, the three sisters, are often served. Different main dishes are prepared for specific holidays – in the case of the Meesing ceremony, the main dish is deer.

After years of dispersal and hiding, many Lenape people are returning to their traditions, which offer a way of honoring all our relations and living in balance with creation. For Shelley these traditions have become even more important. She is profoundly moved  to witness the sharing of teachings and stories among circles of children and elders during the ceremonies, as they are passed on from generation to generation.

The exhibition “Fulfilling a Prophecy: the Past and the Present of the Lenape of Pennsylvania,” curated by Shelley DePaul, is open to the public at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Antropolgy until July, 2010.

roll

#94 Jan-15-2010 02:05:pm

sschkaak

#95 Jan-15-2010 02:27:pm

lenape

LMAO!

and a picture of one of their "elders" lol

#96 Jan-15-2010 02:44:pm

sschkaak

Yep!  Old Jiminy Tselotselos.

#97 Jan-15-2010 08:50:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

#98 Jan-15-2010 09:12:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

lol

I can envision them dancing around with Mr. Potato Head to this tune, using their ebay turtle shell rattles to mark time, like a bad comedy skit!!

#99 Jan-15-2010 09:38:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Do you remember that one video they had of Bob Ruth prancing around through the grass, while Shelley was telling the prophecy? It came off like a bad...uh n/m

lollol

#100 Jan-15-2010 09:51:pm

lenape

tree hugger wrote:

Do you remember that one video they had of Bob Ruth prancing around through the grass, while Shelley was telling the prophecy? It came off like a bad...uh n/m

lollol

yikes

Board footer