Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

  • Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

#1 Feb-27-2009 01:09:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

http://ncsl.org/programs/statetribe/tribes.htm#state

locally:
Federally Recognized:
New York

    * Cayuga Nation of New York
    * Oneida Nation of New York
    * Onondaga Nation of New York
    * Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe (formerly the St. Regis Band of Mohawk Indians of New York)
    * Seneca Nation of New York
    * Tonawanda Band of Seneca Indians of New York
    * Tuscarora Nation of New York

State Recognized:
Delaware

    * Nanticoke Indians

New Jersey

    * Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape
    * Powhatan Renape Nation (Rankokus Indian Reservation)
    * Ramapough Mountain Indians

New York

    * Poospatuck Indian Nation
    * Shinnecock Tribe

Ohio

    * (Shawnee Nation) United Remnant Band

Offline

 

#2 Feb-27-2009 01:19:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

Ohio

    * (Shawnee Nation) United Remnant Band

hmm

Offline

 

#3 Feb-27-2009 02:13:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

All Lenape (including the Sand Hill Indians) are recognized by gubernatorial proclamation in New Jersey.

The Ramapough are state-recognized in New York.

The Shinnecock are federally-recognized, by judicial case law.

Offline

 

#4 Feb-27-2009 02:16:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

what is a "gubernatorial proclamation"?  Is this a "resolution" or a "blanket recognition", I get what the 2 words mean, just don't get what that means for "all Lenape" in NJ?

Edit to add:  never mind, I found a copy of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13268385@N04/2717095321/ which basicly acknowledges that there are Lenape and they were/are indigenous to NJ and that there are still Lenape living in NJ.  This is not much different to what was passed in PA, but I wouldn't say that grants a "blanket recognition".

Last edited by lenape (Feb-27-2009 02:22:pm)

Offline

 

#5 Feb-27-2009 02:42:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

We have an entire thread on it, right here:  http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2616

Offline

 

#6 Feb-27-2009 02:46:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

sschkaak wrote:

We have an entire thread on it, right here:  http://woodlandindians.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2616

Thanks, that is easier to read, LOL!!  But it still is not a specific "recognition", just acknowledgment...IMHO

Last edited by lenape (Feb-27-2009 02:48:pm)

Offline

 

#7 Feb-27-2009 04:14:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to establish?  For instance, under the Indian Arts & Crafts Act, NONE of the members of the New Jersey tribes in this list are recognized as "American Indians."  So, just what is it we're trying to affirm with this particular list?

Offline

 

#8 Feb-27-2009 04:17:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

not trying to "affirm" anything with this list, as I came across it while looking into the Arts and Crafts Act I decided to post it, that was all, sorry if I offended anyone...

Offline

 

#9 Feb-27-2009 04:28:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

With state recognition, you have to remember that there are two forms (legally speaking):  "formal" and "informal" recognition.  In New Jersey, "formal" recognition requires that the recognition be embodied in the State statutes.  Recognition by legislative resolution or gubernatorial proclamation is "informal" recognition.  The Indian Arts & Crafts Act requires "formal" recognition.

Always remember, though, that the Arts & Crafts Act's definition of  "American Indian" is NOT the only legal definition of "American Indian."  Its definition is ONLY for the purposes of that Act.

Last edited by sschkaak (Feb-27-2009 04:30:pm)

Offline

 

#10 Feb-27-2009 04:34:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

sschkaak wrote:

With state recognition, you have to remember that there are two forms (legally speaking):  "formal" and "informal" recognition.  In New Jersey, "formal" recognition requires that the recognition be embodied in the State statutes.  Recognition by legislative resolution or gubernatorial proclamation is "informal" recognition.  The Indian Arts & Crafts Act requires "formal" recognition.

Thank You, that was what I didn't understand, not just for the ACA, but in general, I guess my wording missed my point...  with that understanding then the communities in PA involved with the "UELN"(and its many names) have informal recognition.

Last edited by lenape (Feb-27-2009 04:36:pm)

Offline

 

#11 Feb-27-2009 04:37:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

Interesting.  I wasn't aware that there were any recognized groups, in PA.  Where can we see this document?

Offline

 

#12 Feb-27-2009 04:40:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

lenape wrote:

sschkaak wrote:

With state recognition, you have to remember that there are two forms (legally speaking):  "formal" and "informal" recognition.  In New Jersey, "formal" recognition requires that the recognition be embodied in the State statutes.  Recognition by legislative resolution or gubernatorial proclamation is "informal" recognition.  The Indian Arts & Crafts Act requires "formal" recognition.

Thank You, that was what I didn't understand, not just for the ACA, but in general, I guess my wording missed my point... with that understanding then the communities in PA involved with the "UELN"(and its many names) have informal recognition.

I wouldn't go that far. I know I'm out of the loop today but when did they get acknowledgment from the State?

I'm sure I'm missing something but they wouldn't be on the FWS list of groups to watch if they were "accepted" by the state.

Just confused. hmm

Offline

 

#13 Feb-27-2009 04:50:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

it should be public record resolution 299 and amendment A, with re-affirmations.  I have no interest in putting it on here and being part of another character slaughter, LOL!!

  Is FWS the "Fish and Wildlife Service", if so some of the folks involved are in good standing and some work for them...

Offline

 

#14 Feb-27-2009 04:56:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

"Resolution" of what legislative body?  I really don't understand why you can't post it.  You tell us it exists, but won't show it to us?   neutral  Whose going to attack you?  If it exists, then it exists.

Offline

 

#15 Feb-27-2009 05:08:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

lenape wrote:

it should be public record resolution 299 and amendment A, with re-affirmations.  I have no interest in putting it on here and being part of another character slaughter, LOL!!

  Is FWS the "Fish and Wildlife Service", if so some of the folks involved are in good standing and some work for them...

Not the FWS agents I've been in contact with!

Offline

 

#16 Feb-27-2009 05:12:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

tree hugger wrote:

lenape wrote:

it should be public record resolution 299 and amendment A, with re-affirmations.  I have no interest in putting it on here and being part of another character slaughter, LOL!!

  Is FWS the "Fish and Wildlife Service", if so some of the folks involved are in good standing and some work for them...

Not the FWS agents I've been in contact with!

LOL!  Okay, I don't know who you have been in contact with so you win, this is the pissing match I had no interest in...  They are all flakes and fakes and whatever else and all the others are the real deal...

Offline

 

#17 Feb-27-2009 05:18:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

lenape wrote:

tree hugger wrote:

lenape wrote:

it should be public record resolution 299 and amendment A, with re-affirmations.  I have no interest in putting it on here and being part of another character slaughter, LOL!!

  Is FWS the "Fish and Wildlife Service", if so some of the folks involved are in good standing and some work for them...

Not the FWS agents I've been in contact with!

LOL!  Okay, I don't know who you have been in contact with so you win, this is the pissing match I had no interest in...  They are all flakes and fakes and whatever else and all the others are the real deal...

I got booted off the other computer before I finished replying. I'm on mine now.

First of all: Don't go there again! I am not in a pissing match with you. If I wanted to be, you'd be the first one to know it. You brought this subject up, I had never heard of any such legislation passed in Pa. I am in no mood for something else to be blown out of proportion.

What does a character slaughter have to do with anything at all here?

You quoted a piece of supposed public documentation, which frankly I am in no mood to track down myself now. If it exists then post it.  If this indeed happened I want to see it.

Offline

 

#18 Feb-27-2009 05:21:pm

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

you got the wrong one here, if you want you go find it!!  No mood?  LOL NOW YOU CAN REMOVE ME!  I not some little kid!

Offline

 

#19 Feb-27-2009 05:28:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

Forget it, I'll search for something that you quoted and obviously have access to.. after I get done talking to family about plans for my aunt that just passed.

Offline

 

#20 Feb-27-2009 05:50:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SENATE RESOLUTION
No. 299 Session of 2002


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


        INTRODUCED BY WAUGH, WAGNER, KUKOVICH, O'PAKE, KITCHEN,
           TARTAGLIONE, ERICKSON, GREENLEAF, WENGER, DENT, D. WHITE,
           CONTI, ROBBINS, PUNT, WOZNIAK, C. WILLIAMS AND SCHWARTZ,
           NOVEMBER 27, 2002


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        REFERRED TO RULES AND EXECUTIVE NOMINATIONS, NOVEMBER 27, 2002


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                  A RESOLUTION

     1  Commending the people of the Eastern Lenape Indian Nation for
     2     preserving a heritage rich in tradition and custom.

     3     WHEREAS, Long before the Europeans began their exploration of
     4  America during the 16th and 17th centuries, the indigenous
     5  tribes of Native America had already established extensive
     6  communities and a rich, vibrant culture throughout the land we
     7  now know as the United States; and
     8     WHEREAS, Many Native Americans who had the earliest contact
     9  with the European explorers and settlers belonged to tribes in
    10  and around Pennsylvania such as the Delaware or Lenape, Erie and
    11  Susquehannocks and the Iroquois Nation of five united tribes;
    12  and
    13     WHEREAS, The culture of Native Americans and the culture of
    14  the United States are intertwined, with many Native American
    15  words and customs ingrained into the lives of all Americans; and
    16     WHEREAS, This Commonwealth is rich in Native American history
    17  and has an ongoing reliance on the unique cultural contributions


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     1  of its Native American residents; and
     2     WHEREAS, According to the 2000 United States Census, 18,348
     3  residents of this Commonwealth identify themselves as Native
     4  Americans; and
     5     WHEREAS, These figures show an increase of more than 3,000
     6  since the 1990 United States Census, attributable in large part
     7  to an increased effort to acknowledge and preserve their Native
     8  American heritage; and
     9     WHEREAS, The efforts of such persons as the late Chief Sam
    10  Hannah Gray Wolf and the people of the Eastern Lenape Indian
    11  Nation to unite Native Americans, preserve the customs and teach
    12  others about their heritage have greatly contributed to an
    13  increase in Native Americans in this Commonwealth and to a
    14  better understanding of the Native American ways; therefore be
    15  it
    16     RESOLVED, That the Senate recognize and commend the people of
    17  the Eastern Lenape Indian Nation in Pennsylvania for their
    18  efforts to preserve a heritage steeped in tradition and custom;
    19  and be it further
    20     RESOLVED, That the Senate encourage all Pennsylvanians to
    21  gain a greater understanding of the indigenous people of this
    22  Commonwealth.






    J9L82SFL/20020S0299R2455         - 2 -

Offline

 

#21 Feb-27-2009 06:49:pm

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

" INTRODUCED BY WAUGH, WAGNER, KUKOVICH, O'PAKE, KITCHEN,
           TARTAGLIONE, ERICKSON, GREENLEAF, WENGER, DENT, D. WHITE,
           CONTI, ROBBINS, PUNT, WOZNIAK, C. WILLIAMS AND SCHWARTZ,
           NOVEMBER 27, 2002


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        REFERRED TO RULES AND EXECUTIVE NOMINATIONS, NOVEMBER 27, 20"


So, it was "introduced" and "referred" to a committee.  Did it ever get voted on and passed by the legislature?

Offline

 

#22 Feb-27-2009 07:48:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

That's all I can find on it. Looks no different than the URB's pat on the back they try to use. hmm

Offline

 

#23 Feb-27-2009 07:49:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin
Registered: May-12-2006
Posts: 11050

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

lenape wrote:

you got the wrong one here, if you want you go find it!!  No mood?  LOL NOW YOU CAN REMOVE ME!  I not some little kid!

roll

Offline

 

#24 Feb-28-2009 09:16:am

lenape
Member
Registered: Feb-11-2008
Posts: 1779

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

tree hugger wrote:

That's all I can find on it. Looks no different than the URB's pat on the back they try to use. hmm

And not much different than the NJ pat on the back, roll

Offline

 

#25 Feb-28-2009 09:23:am

sschkaak
Moderator
Registered: Sep-17-2007
Posts: 4293
Website

Re: Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

But, was this Resolution passed?

Offline

 
  • Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Complete List of State and Federally Recognized Tribes

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson