Woodland Indians Forum

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 Feb-02-2009 02:57:pm

lenape

Recording of Nora Thompson Dean

Thought I would post this recording from the Theodore Hetzel collection.  It is a poor quality recording, but pretty good information from Nora Thompson Dean on the Native American Church that she belonged to, 'The Big Moon Way", some talk about burial customs, the explanation of the colors Black and Red....
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/MP3/FLCu005031.sideB.mp3

#2 Feb-02-2009 03:08:pm

tree hugger
Site Admin

Re: Recording of Nora Thompson Dean

lenape wrote:

Thought I would post this recording from the Theodore Hetzel collection.  It is a poor quality recording, but pretty good information from Nora Thompson Dean on the Native American Church that she belonged to, 'The Big Moon Way", some talk about burial customs, the explanation of the colors Black and Red....
http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/MP3/FLCu005031.sideB.mp3

Thank you. smile

#3 Feb-02-2009 03:10:pm

lenape

quote stalker!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Feb-02-2009 04:03:pm

sschkaak
Website

Excellent talk!  I'm told that Mrs. Dean practiced the traditonal Lenape religion (Big House, family feasts, etc.); the Native American Church rites; and, Christianity (especially Roman Catholicism).  She believed that God could be found wherever he was being sought.

For more on the Native American Church among the Lenape, I recommend:

The Diabolic Root:  A Study of Peyotism, The New Indian Religion, Among the Delawares, by Vincezo Petrullo, Philadelphia (1934).

#5 Feb-02-2009 04:17:pm

lenape

another good book is:
Peyote Religious Art
Symbols of Faith and Belief
By Daniel C. Swan

While this is not totally about the Delaware it give a pretty good talk by Charlie Elkhair, who was a Delaware that practice that path, I have about 12 hours of his songs from the Big and Little Moon Ceremonies...

Last edited by lenape (Feb-02-2009 08:36:pm)

#6 Feb-02-2009 04:34:pm

lenape

Here is a story from Elkhair on how the "Bisun" came (note that "bisun" or mpisun means medicine, and is also used for "Peyote")

"pexus hekao" (note pexus'hikao(?) "s/he comes to him/her", *my* thoughts are that those who practice this way consider the Peyote(and in many cases medicine in general) living, Peyote was called "grandpa")
by Elk Hair

A long time ago a group of Indians went hunting, taking with them a young boy. Wanting to prove that he too was a man, the boy left his companions to hunt alone. After a successful day the hunting party went back to the camping ground, but the boy failed to return. At that time there were many wild beasts in our land, and the people worried about the child. They searched for him many days, but did not find him. At last his sister, his only relative, decided to search for the boy herself. She decided to look for him in the west.

She wandered about for many days without discovering any trace of her brother, and finally all hope left her. Grieving, she said to herself:

"He is gone. Now I don't care where I go. I don't care what becomes of me."

One morning she began the search early. She was weak from lack of food and water. Coming to a lake, she lay down and prayed to God, saying, "I don't care what becomes of me now, but I hope that God will let me see my brother once more before I die."

She stretched herself out to die, her head to the east, her feet pointing to the west, her stretched-out arms pointing to the south and north, saying to herself, "I don't care to live anymore. Since I can't find my brother, I will die.'

All at once she began to reach down several inches in the mud and water with her fingers and felt something cool. At the same time she saw a man standing before her who said to her:

"Here, what is the use of worrying? Look at me! Your people are safe, I am taking care of them. Your brother is safe. He is still living. If you want to see your brother, look to the west."

She did so, and saw her brother a very long distance away. At the same time something cool touched her hand again. The man disappeared. She looked at what she had in her hand which spoke to her, saying:

"It is I, Peyote. Now you can drink this water. You have had nothing to drink or eat for a long time. Drink this water and you will feel well.

Now, eat what you have left in your left hand. Sit down and think about yourself. Think about being happy in this world. Don't worry about your brother. He is safe."

She ate what was in her left hand and she saw her brother again. He said to her, "I am safe. Don't worry about me." He then disappeared.

Then Peyote spoke to her again, instructing her how the plant in her left hand was to be used.

"When you get back to your people, show them what you have in your left hand. It is my power put here by God. Use it the way I teach you. Use it to keep well and to keep from worrying in this world. Either drink it or eat it."

The girl went back to the village and told her people.

Last edited by lenape (Feb-02-2009 08:36:pm)

#7 Mar-05-2015 10:08:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

The original link is no longer working but found these online.

https://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_ … lAudio.htm

Nora Dean speaking at Fellowship Farm, undated (circa 1970s).  Nora Dean is said to be the last Lenape Indian to speak the Lenape language; this tape is a copy.

Side A: https://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_ … .sideA.mp3

Side B: https://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/finding_ … .sideB.mp3

#8 Mar-05-2015 10:13:am

tree hugger
Site Admin

If this is a repeat post, I apologize. Just thought I'd stick it in here in case we didn't have it.

Full PDF Interview: http://digital.libraries.ou.edu/whc/duk … /T-296.pdf

NORA THOMPSON DEAN, DELAWARE
INTERVIEWED BY: KATHERINE RED CORN
INTERVIEW DATE: APRIL 1968
TRANSCRIBED BY: NONA KERR
CHECKED AGAINST TAPE AND RE-EDITED BY: JIM REMENTER IN JULY 2003
GENERAL SUBJECT: FAMILY HISTORY; PEYOTE RITUALS; DELAWARE
CUSTOMS, ETC.
TOPICS DISCUSSED:
SELF IDENTIFICATION
FAMILY GENEALOGY
JOHN WILSON RESPONSIBLE FOR BRINGING PEYOTE TO DELAWARE PEOPLE
CUSTOMS AND CEREMONIES OF BIG HOUSE SERVICE
IMPORTANCE OF THE CEDAR TREE AND ITS USE AMONG THE INDIAN PEOPLE
SPECIAL DELAWARE WEDDING PROCEDURE
CUSTOMS WHEN A GIRL REACHES PUBERTY
CUSTOMS CONCERNING CHILDBIRTH AND NAMING THE BABY
DELAWARE TRIBE IS DIVIDED IN THREE CLANS
EARLY DAY MODE OF DRESS FOR DELAWARE WOMEN AND MATERIAL USED
MOCCASINS FOR MEN AND WOMEN
HER EARS WERE PIERCED FOR EAR RINGS WHEN SHE WAS SEVEN YEARS OLD
STORY OF THE ORIGIN OF THE SMOKES BETWEEN OSAGE AND.
DELAWARE TRIBES
DELAWARE BURIAL CUSTOMS, ESPECIALLY FOR THE WIDOW OF THE
DECEASED
THE NUMBER "12" IS USED IN CHURCH SERVICE
DELAWARE TRIBE ORIGINATED IN PENNSYLVANIA

Board footer